talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marcus Rashford

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think I'm creating too many excuses for him. I don't really have any incentive to create too many excuses for him - he's a United player, I would be happy to shit on him if I thought he was crap. He's a good player at a side that isn't really conducive for playing good football, so it's probably not the greatest environment for him to develop in.

There are fuckloads of problems at Manchester United. Rashford isn't one of them.

I didn’t say he was a problem did I? I said he was massively talented but often slowed play down...Jesus 😂

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That graph is from a different season playing on a different team and in a different style. 

But it’s the exact reason we bought him. You don’t reset stats every time you move club. He’s still for all intents and purposes the same player.

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

But it’s the exact reason we bought him. You don’t reset stats every time you move club. He’s still for all intents and purposes the same player.

Not about resetting stats it’s about context.  He’s not moving to a like for like club. Palace defend more often sitting deep. United will have the ball more and will undoubtedly ask Wan Bissaka to do more in the final third. Both factors could well skew his statistics. 

The very reason Azpilicueta’s defensive numbers started to go down the moment we got rid of Mourinho’s ideology. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Not about resetting stats it’s about context.  He’s not moving to a like for like club. Palace defend more often sitting deep. United will have the ball more and will undoubtedly ask Wan Bissaka to do more in the final third. Both factors could well skew his statistics. 

The very reason Azpilicueta’s defensive numbers started to go down the moment we got rid of Mourinho’s ideology. 

Tbf most times I've watched United defend this season, they've been defending pretty deep. I think that's one of the biggest criticisms at the club right now from their fans - that they play too conservatively, even when they're up against sides that see "Man Utd" as the opposition and set up deep to hit United on the counter. 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think that’s incredibly unfair on a young player just because of the circumstances of the club he’s at as he’s come through.

I can’t believe I’m defending a young Manc. Are there flaws to his game? Of course there are he’s 21. He’s still learning.

Saying he sums up Glazer United is a bit weird too - because they won titles under the Glazers. They’ve also spent an absolute fortune and ended up a bit shite in recent years. So really I’m not sure what that means. But I think you meant he’s emblematic of how shite United are now.

And I just don’t agree with that. I don’t see how one of the few bright spots in that side is reflective of the era of United we’re watching.

But I can’t be arsed defending this talented yet slightly flawed Manc kid anymore, I should be shitting upon him. But really it’s not his fault and there are so many other problems at United, in others players, the manager, Woodward, the owners, the culture of the club under Woodward’s guidance.

It’s just unfair to shit on this kid because of the circumstances of when he’s come through. I don’t even know why I’m defending him. I should be doing what @Teso dos Bichos does with TAA (who’s also great, probably greater because we’ve seen him do great things more frequently and he’s the fullback assist holder at 21 years old - but how much of that is down to when he actually came through). These players don’t get to pick when they’re born, otherwise they’d pick “whenever is best for me to be a football player at my favourite club.”

I defer to Teso & @DeadLinesman, @CaaC (John), @Shinji Doherty, and any other United fans on here to defend him. 

And if anyone is a reflection of this era of United, it’s Jesse fuckin’ Lingard. He’s 27 or somewhere about that and people talk about him like he’s a fucking promising young kid. He’d be at some mid table championship club if not for being an academy product. And he thinks he’s fucking class despite being shite. But he’s propped up and still at United because of incompetence by Woodward.

I just quite simply don't think he's that good, has never shown it consistently but has been hyped up simply because of who he is, rather than what he's actually done on the football pitch.

I haven't really shat on him, I just don't think he's as great as made out to be by the majority of people and think the fact he's now being paid top drawer wages to imply that he's the 'main man' of Manchester United's attack is symptomatic of Glazer United and how far they've fallen. If he was coming through now behind a couple of top strikers who he could learn off and eventually look to replace, I'd understand the situation a bit more. For me he's just a decent young striker and the symptomatic of Glazer United point is that they've rewarded him for little - hardly like they were at risk of losing him was it?

Where would Rashford be in the pecking order at Juventus and Bayern? He'd be where he should be - third or fourth choice getting some time with a view to doing that in future. That's the standard of a top club.

I think this ultimately boils down to how highly we rate him. I think you clearly rate him a lot higher than I do.

Lingard likewise sums up Glazer United. Again - they have rewarded mediocrity with a contract totally beyond what he's capable of actually producing.

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Think he did more in the final third for Palace if I’m honest.

Archived