talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham - Sunday 27th October, 2019

football forum

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not this shite again?

This daft theory of us getting lots of penalties compared to other clubs has been proven way off the mark time and time again.

Palace get a fuck load for sure.

I'd say in general Liverpool do get penalties at Anfield like Utd used to get them at Old Trafford...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd say in general Liverpool do get penalties at Anfield like Utd used to get them at Old Trafford...

Not 100% on the exact year but it was only 2 or 3 seasons ago we went a full season without being awarded a single one. 

I cant be arsed to check the exact stats but I'm almost sure Utd still get more than us even recently? We also attack more than most teams so it's more likely we will get our fair share.

It's a myth mate.

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not 100% on the exact year but it was only 2 or 3 seasons ago we went a full season without being awarded a single one. 

I cant be arsed to check the exact stats but I'm almost sure Utd still get more than us even recently?

It's a myth mate.

Yeah United have had about 6 already this season (four in the first four games I think). Palace get an absurd amount of penalties for a side that probably don't spend that much time in the opposition box

• Subscriber

Liverpool haven't had many daft penalties their way, though Salah has been fairly criticised for the way he's gone down on a couple of occasions even if he was fouled in those cases.

They're arguably lucky in the way defenders panic and make stupid challenges to gift them penalties on a regular basis but that's just a benefit of having an attack that scares the shit out of opposition defenders and makes them panic.

Also they definitely pay the refs :ph34r:.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I cant be arsed to check the exact stats but I'm almost sure Utd still get more than us even recently?

It's a myth mate.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1

Utd lead the way this season (6). Liverpool next (3). The link doesn't include today's, mind.

Utd got the most last season (12). Then Palace with 11. You guys got 7.

For 17/18, Palace got 10. You guy 3.

You got 8 in 16/17.

You can go back quite far and there's no season where you didn't get a penalty.

The season you got the most in the league was in 2013/14, when you got 12.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1

Utd lead the way this season (4). Liverpool next (3).

Utd got the most last season (12). Then Palace with 11. You guys got 7.

For 17/18, Palace got 10. You guy 3.

You got 8 in 16/17.

You can go back quite far and there's no season where you didn't get a penalty.

The season you got the most in the league was in 2013/14, when you got 12.

So it's a myth then that we get the most penalties awarded? Cheers :D

It's not even close over the timescale you've just posted.

Also, I was referring to penalties awarded at Anfield when mentioning us not being awarded one, not including away games. I cant be sure but I thought I'd read that stat somewhere?

Anyway as I said, it's a myth pal.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Also, I was referring to penalties awarded at Anfield when mentioning us not being awarded one, not including away games. I cant be sure but I thought I'd read that stat somewhere?

You get 'lots'. Not necessarily the most each season.

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I think it was 17/18 we didn't get one at Anfield in the league

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

You get 'lots'. Not necessarily the most each season.

Yeah, it's getting toned down a bit now from people saying we get the most or being frequently called 'penaltypool' (I know Rando said it tongue in cheek but it's been said loads if we're being honest).

As I said, we attack more often than most teams, keep possession better than most and spend more time in the final 3rd more than most, so it's obvious we will get our fair share.

No idea how Palace manage it mind you xD

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah, it's getting toned down a bit now from people saying we get the most or being frequently called 'penaltypool' (I know Rando said it tongue in cheek but it's been said loads if we're being honest).

As I said, we attack more often than most teams, keep possession better than most and spend more time in the final 3rd more than most, so it's obvious we will get our fair share.

Zaha...

18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well if you spend a lot of time on the penalty area you are more likely to get penalties. Simple logic really 

There is definitely a home advantage generally, if you've got the crowd on your side you're more likely to get a decision, it's human psychology. Manchester United beneift from having 70k fans baying for a penalty, it is an advantage. Anfield is often silent but it does have good acoustics and their fans can make a good noise, that will effect the referee.

Having said that, I think both recent penalty decisions have been right.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Surprised that it’s always been so hard to believe for some that a side that consistently has superior amounts of possession at home than their opponents could potentially win more penalties. 

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

There is definitely a home advantage generally, if you've got the crowd on your side you're more likely to get a decision, it's human psychology. Manchester United beneift from having 70k fans baying for a penalty, it is an advantage. Anfield is often silent but it does have good acoustics and their fans can make a good noise, that will effect the referee.

Having said that, I think both recent penalty decisions have been right.

It's proven referees are biased towards home teams. But they can't help it it's impossible to overturn that bias.

4 hours ago, Storts said:

Various reasons.

Eriksen wants a new challenge - wants to go to Spain. Will go in the summer on a free. Madness to keep playing him because he's so disinterested. 

Rose has wanted to go for years, and we want him out, just hasn't had a good enough offer. Ever since he did that interview with the Sun and told Poch he wanted to leave the same time as Walker it's been strained. He's also now pretty terrible. Injuries and age caught up with him.

Aurier - no idea but he was second choice behind Trippier. He's also awful and will need replacing.

Pochettino strikes me as a pretty hard man, why would he put up with people who don't want to be there? I understand the money issue and you need to get a fair deal but Poch should surely freeze them out like Ferguson die with people who wanted out.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Not a wind up but does he genuinely contribute at all when he's not scoring?

I remember when he scored that goal against Palace when he was 20, genuinely thought we had a Gazza on our hands. Not so sure now, he seems to have lost something but he is still very young, he has the ability to be up there.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Pochettino strikes me as a pretty hard man, why would he put up with people who don't want to be there? I understand the money issue and you need to get a fair deal but Poch should surely freeze them out like Ferguson die with people who wanted out.

Not sure mate - because we've had this once before when he first got there and he did exactly that. Froze out the old trouble makers, Adebayor, Kaboul etc. and went with the youngsters Kane, Mason etc. needs to do it again. I think the majority want Eriksen frozen out now 

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Said it before but I'd take Son in our squad every day. For me he is Spurs best player. 

This is what people that don't watch us enough say. You're not alone, but it's not true.

Kane is our best player without a doubt.

Sonny is really inconsistent, does some sensational things but he goes missing just as often. He's so greedy too, needs to pass more, he always wants to go himself. I love him, he's great, but he's not as good as Kane, and he needs to do it far more consistently. Can count on one hand the amount of good games he's had in the last 6 months 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

This is what people that don't watch us enough say. You're not alone, but it's not true.

Kane is our best player without a doubt.

Sonny is really inconsistent, does some sensational things but he goes missing just as often. He's so greedy too, needs to pass more, he always wants to go himself. I love him, he's great, but he's not as good as Kane, and he needs to do it far more consistently. Can count on one hand the amount of good games he's had in the last 6 months 

I think Kane’s your best player but Son’s the player that would fit into our attack the best - if that makes sense.

But I think Kane is obviously world class

• The topic was unpinned

Archived