talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 26-27th October, 2019

football forum

41 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's not about enjoying the scandal. It's about being sick of hearing people moaning about the referres/officials. The truth is for fouls, there is no definitive answer on it. People judge impeding differently and that will never change I'm afraid. 

No point in the whole reviewing decisions then is there? Just use it for offsides.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Not really sure what you're trying to say here. I'm sure it's not what you mean but this comment comes across as if you think football would be boring if the laws were black and white?

The rules of the game are the one thing that definitely should be black and white, at least as far as is possible in a game with 22 human players and 4 human officials on the pitch causing massive variation at all times can be.

If they sorted out the rules and the officiating then perhaps we could spend less time arguing about VAR and referees and actually spend the whole time discussing the stuff that isn't black and white like player performances, tactics, goals, tackles, emotions, you know, all the elements of the sport that actually make it a sport instead of a lottery and or soap opera.

It's odd how other major sports like rugby, tennis and cricket managed to implement technology pretty much seamlessly into their sports, still have a global following and most fans would call them better for it. In football we've had this notion for so long that incorrect decisions are "part of the beauty of it" because we're so addicted to scandal and drama in this sport.

Everyone gets good and bad luck whether that be through injuries, weather, the fixture computer, deflected shots. It's not like football will become a robotic sport where the better team always wins with no excitement if they just tidy up the officiating a bit. We don't need the randomly generated drama of inconsistent and game changing referee interventions to make the sport entertaining but the technology can be used to enhance the integrity of the competition if they sort it out.

Talk about teething problems though.

The laws literally cannot be seen as black and white because each person has a different interpretation of the laws and enforces them in their own way. It’s the same with VAR. Each official will see things differently. 

Other sports with video technology still have decisions that appear clear that aren’t given. 

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Not when we've quite literally brought technology in to eradicate it.

Weirdly your argument actually sounds quite anti-VAR and funnily enough I agree with it.

We haven’t though. Nowhere, anywhere on the planet has VAR been mentioned in the same sentence as eradicating previously unseen incidents. It’s a human still making the decisions, so human error is still a possibility. It’s not going to be perfect and 100% correct, it’s physically impossible for it to be. The sooner people understand that, the sooner people might start enjoying football again. 

• Administrator

Think the outrage is a bit much for the Brighton penalty. Yes it took ages for the decision to be made but Keane's literally stepped on his foot and stopped Connolly getting to the ball? 

The intention argument isn't as important for me as much as the fact he's stopped a player getting to the ball by fouling him. I'm sure it's never a defender's intention to foul a player in the box but it happens. Seen some say 'Keane's not even looking at him'. So? Ever heard of peripheral vision? You don't have to be looking directly at something to know it's physically there.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Think the outrage is a bit much for the Brighton penalty. Yes it took ages for the decision to be made but Keane's literally stepped on his foot and stopped Connolly getting to the ball? 

The intention argument isn't as important for me as much as the fact he's stopped a player getting to the ball by fouling him. I'm sure it's never a defender's intention to foul a player in the box but it happens. Seen some say 'Keane's not even looking at him'. So? Ever heard of peripheral vision? You don't have to be looking directly at something to know it's physically there.

It's a penalty. I've not seen many question that. But there's more obvious penalties that have not been given this season.

28 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

It’s not as simple as that though is it xD

It is in my eyes yeah. Everything other than offsides is subjective and the VAR referee will barely ever overrule the on-field referee, so yeah, VAR is basically useless for anything other than offsides.

I'm just glad more and more people from all parts of the game are coming round to the idea that it's an absolute farce.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

The fact that an actual Brighton player called the decision farcical after the game should be enough to highlight that this particular instance was not clear and obvious.

24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The fact that an actual Brighton player called the decision farcical after the game should be enough to highlight that this particular instance was not clear and obvious.

Especially when Richarlison literally got wrestled to the ground and nothing was given. 

• Subscriber

The point about not moaning about referee decisions is correct - but surely there is naturally going to be a raised expectation of the standard of officiating and decisions if we quite literally have a system that is watching them back.

When there's a one off chance to see it in a split second, mistakes are natural.

When there's a few replays, you have surely got to expect better decisions. That Brighton v Everton penalty is a nonsense. A perfect example of a slowed down replay making something look a lot worse than it actually is.

• Subscriber

As for the forced controversy - yes, it's managed to get us all, once again, talking about something that isn't the actual football itself. That isn't unique to this site. That's a natural course. You can't get away from it.

All VAR is going to do is increase the anger of those who feel a foul has or hasn't been given, they seem to think VAR is somehow automatically going to mean everything they want given will be. VAR isn't there to please fans, it's there to try and correct the more obvious mistakes, but it can't clear up things which are very much a matter of opinion. Look at the Manchester United goal last week? Mane's penalty etc. You're not going to get a unaminous opinion on it (and to be honest the fans of either side should just be discounted, people seem incapable of going against their team) and therfore it's always going to be 'wrong' to someone.

12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

All VAR is going to do is increase the anger of those who feel a foul has or hasn't been given, they seem to think VAR is somehow automatically going to mean everything they want given will be. VAR isn't there to please fans, it's there to try and correct the more obvious mistakes, but it can't clear up things which are very much a matter of opinion. Look at the Manchester United goal last week? Mane's penalty etc. You're not going to get a unaminous opinion on it (and to be honest the fans of either side should just be discounted, people seem incapable of going against their team) and therfore it's always going to be 'wrong' to someone.

That's not my arguement at all? All I'm saying (again) is that VAR is basically useless unless used for offside decisions only, and even then it kills the moment when a goal is scored whilst VAR is checked. 

I just preferred football much more before all this farce was employed. I also enjoyed this forum (and others) before it was absolutely dominated by talk of VAR. I also preferred watching Sky sports, BT Sport and Match Of The Day etc, before it was absolutely dominated by the whole fucking mess that VAR has caused.

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If a decision is so poor that it gets criticised by a player from the team that benefited, and is unanimously criticised by Liverpool fans on here when it went against Everton then that tells you we're beyond the realms of "it's just a grey area" here.

It would be bad enough if those two incidents had happened without VAR but the fact that an experienced referee with the benefit of several angles of slow motion replays actually feels strongly enough that that's a "clear and obvious" penalty to overrule the matchday official is extremely worrying for our sport.

• Subscriber

Norwich really do seem to be a total shambles. Can't defend and they'd be properly adrift if not for Pukki's red hot start to the season. Imagine this United team missing two penalties against you and still being 2-0 down at half time.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived