talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Simulation - Diving in Football

football forum

Do you agree with six game bans for diving?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with six game bans for diving?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

The panel is made of three people with no affiliation to either club and they cannot consult each other. One has to be a former referee who is naturally going to be hesitant to go against the referee. Now whether Niasse is unfortunate that everybody recognised Anthony Taylor is out of his depth as a Premiership referee is neither here nor there. The fact is he dived, he cheated, he's aware of the rules, and deserves to be punished accordingly. 

Yeah and I look forward to the same sanction being applied when David Silva, Harry Kane or (to prove I'm not being biased) Wayne Rooney do the same thing.

This is absolutely pathetic. Not because Niasse didn't dive because he did (though there was contact), but because you see dives worse than that every weekend and nothing gets done about it. Don't get me started on when players deliberately make sure the defender catches their trailing leg and go down like a sack of potatoes which is just as bad as diving whatever anyone says.

From an actual non-Everton footballing perspective I'm glad he's been pulled up on it but I'll be absolutely fuming if one of the media darlings like Loftus-Cheek at the moment for example does the same thing next week (which lets be honest, almost every attacking player would have done in the same circumstances) and they don't get the same treatment.

• Subscriber

Don't want to get too salty over it but it's also an issue that if the referee had seen it and booked him he wouldn't get a two match ban so basically we lose our top scorer for two games because the referee was too inept to see it in real time. Like others have said, consequences for the officials?

On 02/05/2017 at 6:52 PM, Teso dos Bichos said:

Yes but not six games, 3 is enough. Like sirbalon said, all the European leagues should apply it as well. Maybe Barcelona will actually start using la masia again with half of their squad banned for diving. 

If you are so against diving, why are you such a massive fanboy of C.Ronaldo? I genuinely can't think of a more serial diver in the sport in all my years of watching it.

You'd think at 32 he'd have grown up.

19 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Love how the lack of academy products from La Masia  breaking through the first team is like a broken record for him. As if the standard isn't high and as if Iniesta's, Messi's, and Xavi's grow on trees in their garden. 

It would be good to see more though as it does seem to have been neglected a lot more in recent years in my opinion. Aleña is the most likely in the near future and maybe Cucurella

6 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Absolute joke. It's fine for Dele Alli to do it week in, week out but Oumar can't? The FA make themselves look a bigger and bigger joke with each passing week. 

It has to result in a penalty or sending off though. It was pretty clear at the start of the season, can have no complaints

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

It has to result in a penalty or sending off though. It was pretty clear at the start of the season, can have no complaints

Is this actually the rule because that also makes no sense. If a player dives and successfully deceives an official whether that results in a 93rd minute winning penalty or a free kick on the halfway line in the first half, the offence is the same so the punishment should be the same. If a player dives and the referee sees it, they get a booking and no ban. If the punishment is applied retrospectively suddenly it's a multiple game ban? Again, same offence from the player but a different punishment depending on what the referee does.

Shambolic really. Another series of grey areas that result in a complete lack of consistency.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Is this actually the rule because that also makes no sense. If a player dives and successfully deceives an official whether that results in a 93rd minute winning penalty or a free kick on the halfway line in the first half, the offence is the same so the punishment should be the same. If a player dives and the referee sees it, they get a booking and no ban. If the punishment is applied retrospectively suddenly it's a multiple game ban? Again, same offence from the player but a different punishment depending on what the referee does.

Shambolic really. Another series of grey areas that result in a complete lack of consistency.

Yes mate https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39962886

10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If you punch somebody and they bounce back up, you go home and nothing happens.

If you punch somebody and they hit their head the wrong way and die, you're facing 10 years in prison. 

Thats life. The offence is different dependent on the degree of effect it has, even if the action from the accused is the same in both instances. 

28 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Actually that's not correct mate!  You can be sued and the aggressor punished in a court of law for that even if there is no damage done.  But you're right in your conclusion that the damage done will determine the severity of the punishment.  You can't go around punching people no matter how damaging your action is.

Just found this thread. Initially voted yes to a lengthy ban. This shit holds back our world game. It's disgraceful and you see it way too often (well I do when Australia play middle eastern and central/south american sides). So tough to police and manage though. Haven't seen the recent incident you're all on about.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Actually that's not correct mate!  You can be sued and the aggressor punished in a court of law for that even if there is no damage done.  But you're right in your conclusion that the damage done will determine the severity of the punishment.  You can't go around punching people no matter how damaging your action is.

Yeah obviously punching somebody is assault (technically if you dig about you can find case law showing that slapping or even shoving is assault) but in practice you'll be hard-pressed to find somebody pressing charges for a single punch. And even then the chances of getting a procurator (or the CPS down south) to bring a case without some aggravating factor are on the low side.

Goddammit man i was trying to simplify things to make a point :D

Just now, Inverted said:

Yeah obviously punching somebody is assault (technically if you dig about you can find case law showing that slapping or even shoving is assault) but in practice you'll be hard-pressed to find somebody pressing charges for a single punch. And even then the chances of getting a procurator (or the CPS down south) to bring a case without some aggravating factor are on the low side.

Goddammit man i was trying to simplify things to make a point :D

I can be pedantic at times xDO.o

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Inverted said:

If you punch somebody and they hit their head the wrong way and die, you're facing 10 years in prison. 

Thats life. The offence is different dependent on the degree of effect it has, even if the action from the accused is the same in both instances. 

I get what you're saying but it doesn't make it right. Same with a lot of things in football e.g. Mane's red against City. If he had done that exact thing but Ederson had ducked out he probably would have got away with a yellow or even nothing just because the opponent responded differently.

20 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I get what you're saying but it doesn't make it right. Same with a lot of things in football e.g. Mane's red against City. If he had done that exact thing but Ederson had ducked out he probably would have got away with a yellow or even nothing just because the opponent responded differently.

Yeah that’s the weird thing that in football; so many of the rules are drafted with no mention of effects and yet they do play a massive role. If the ref hadn’t given a pen then likely Niasse wouldn’t be facing action.

With the Mane one, there’s technically no scope to punish on the basis of the consequences. Dangerous play is - in theory - purely based on risk created. So if you raise your boot in a dangerous way the punishment should be the same whether your opponent avoids you or not.

Likewise if you’re not being particularly dangerous but just by pure bad luck a bad injury happens, there shouldn’t be any scope for punishment. 

But that’s not how it really works.

There’s this weird tension in which the rules as written do not remotely reflect working practise and it creates so much confusion. It absolutely does my head in. There should be a serious effort to be systemic and redraft the rules rather than just haphazardly reacting to different problems as they appear.

• Subscriber
On 11/21/2017 at 3:26 PM, 6666 said:

Not sure how Richarlison got away with it against us or how Dele Alli and Vardy always get away with it yet here Niasse got charged. Guess it's just down to the combination of the people on the panel.

The vast majority of Vardy's are penalties. 

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

John Stones did near enough the exact same thing for England the other week and no-one said a single word. Mane was hugely unlucky.

Archived