• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup - Quarter-Final Draw

football forum

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

We're definitely getting Man City for like the 100th time in the quarters in this competition. 

Liverpool won't play their tie until 7/8th January cos of their Club World Cup games in December.

• Subscriber

Arsenal fans must be absolutely furious hearing that. It's practically admittance that he wanted to be out (as much as their 18 was as well) and they still bottled it.

As for Leicester - we get Man City at home in this round so frequently it's barely even worth getting excited for the draw.

In 2017/18 we had them at home, they named a weakened team, we named a weakened team (disgracefully) and lost on penalties. They drew a lower league side in the semi final and went on to win it.

In 2018/19 we had them at home, they named a weakened team, we named a weakened team (disgracefully) and lost on penalties. They drew a lower league side in the semi final and went on to win it.

This year, we are both in the quarter final draw, with both Oxford and Colchester left in the draw. I actually cannot take another repeat. It's sickening. We've bottled being in the final the last two years.

I do think though this year, if we did get them again, we'd actually play a proper side and beat them. They will do what they've done the last two years but we showed quite early on in the season that we are willing to name a strong team if we feel it's necessary. I think a full strength Leicester would beat their weakened side.

I've trying to prove to a work mate that I can go a week without a bet (successfully so far) but I am struggling to resist putting a fiver on the double of us getting Man City and Colchester getting Oxford xD

20 minutes ago, Dan said:

Arsenal fans must be absolutely furious hearing that. It's practically admittance that he wanted to be out (as much as their 18 was as well) and they still bottled it.

You can take one look at our bench and see that he didn't want to progress. Regardless of his statement, Arsenal fans should be furious - yeah they scored 5 today, but they also conceded 5 - and we had 7 academy players out there.

I wouldn't back out of the competition though, I'd send the U-23s (many of them already played tonight anyways) and Pep Ljinders. If we win, cool. If we don't, meh whatever experience for the kids.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

You can take one look at our bench and see that he didn't want to progress. Regardless of his statement, Arsenal fans should be furious - yeah they scored 5 today, but they also conceded 5 - and we had 7 academy players out there.

I wouldn't back out of the competition though, I'd send the U-23s (many of them already played tonight anyways) and Pep Ljinders. If we win, cool. If we don't, meh whatever experience for the kids.

Yeah weirdly you going through is probably not bad for the others as your priorities are clearly elsewhere, and will remain that way. I am inclined to not fancy Liverpool home or away but if we did get you at home I think again I'd have to fancy us. I'd rather face you or Man City now than in the semis or the final, by which point I think you'd struggle to resist playing a strong team.

Arsenal should be absolutely ashamed by that tonight. That game summed up absolutely everything about them - total lack of bottle.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

If Liverpool draw Oxford or Colchester then surely the tie could be played over the November international break?

No because League One and League Two sides still play on international breaks unless they have 3 or 4 (?) players taken away on internationals. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Even midweek?

Yeah sometimes they have EFL Trophy games. 

Also, why were Liverpool allowed in this competition if they knew there was a possibility this scenario could happen? It's not like they've only just found out they're playing in the Club World Cup? They knew the dates they'd be unavailable and now it's a bit odd that Klopp can give an ultimatum to the EFL like he has done? 

37 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah sometimes they have EFL Trophy games. 

Also, why were Liverpool allowed in this competition if they knew there was a possibility this scenario could happen? It's not like they've only just found out they're playing in the Club World Cup? They knew the dates they'd be unavailable and now it's a bit odd that Klopp can give an ultimatum to the EFL like he has done? 

If Liverpool didn't enter, they'd be accused of disrespecting the competition. It's up to the relevant authorities to come up with a solution

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

If Liverpool didn't enter, they'd be accused of disrespecting the competition. It's up to the relevant authorities to come up with a solution

Again, this could have been decided at the start of the competition saying 'if Liverpool get through at this stage, the game will be played on date X or date Y' etc. 

Shouldn't have to resort to a manager of a club giving out an ultimatum saying 'find us a date or we're not playing' 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived