• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup - Quarter-Final Draw

football forum

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The Semi-Finals are due to be played on 7/8th Jan and 28/29th Jan.

Why can't Liverpool's QF be played on 7/8th Jan instead and then if they win, their SF 1st Leg is played 14/15th Jan? They have no fixture scheduled for 14/15th Jan and neither do any other side in the competition. 

Thurs 2nd Jan - Liverpool vs Sheff Utd
Saturday 11th Jan - Tottenham vs Liverpool
Sunday 19th Jan - Liverpool vs Man Utd

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

When you’re wearing those rose tinted glasses,  it’s difficult to have a decent conversation.

Totally different scenarios, totally different competition mate. It's not even similar. For a start you lot were told before the season started that you would be excused from playing in the FA Cup. We have already played in the league cup and are now left in limbo. We literally cant be in two places at the same time!

Come on pal, it's totally different and you know it. 

Anyway fuck it, it is what it is. 

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That Club World Cup bollocks is the most tinpot competition of them all.

Even more so than the League Cup which gets slagged to fuck.

Ironic really.

Totally agree. I'd rather us play the league cup and stay at home than go to the other side of the world in the middle of an absolute crucial season for us. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Totally different scenarios, totally different competition mate. It's not even similar. For a start you lot were told before the season started that you would be excused from playing in the FA Cup. We have already played in the league cup and are now left in limbo. 

Come on pal, it's totally different and you know it. 

Anyway fuck it, it is what it is. 

could you not have asked to be removed from the League Cup knowing the dates may clash in December time?

All the fixture dates for all competitions are known well in advance. It's not as if they've only just been published.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

could you not have asked to be removed from the League Cup knowing the dates may clash in December time?

All the fixture dates for all competitions are known well in advance. It's not as if they've only just been published.

Apparently we did but was refused. That's why Klopp is so narked. Whereas Utd got totally excused from the whole FA Cup giving them plenty of rest time.

Anyway as I said, fuck it. It is what it is.

46 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That Club World Cup bollocks is the most tinpot competition of them all.

Even more so than the League Cup which gets slagged to fuck.

Ironic really.

Yeah it’s a stupid competition.

But it has actual prize money. And the League Cup doesn’t 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Just checked. The EFL Cup prize winners money is tiny. Only £100k.

CWC is $5m!!

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It also gives the players serious jet lag etc which in a congested period could totally fuck up our title challenge. I got back from Mexico Saturday morning and I still cant sleep. It's a nightmare. 

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It also gives the players serious jet lag etc which in a congested period could totally fuck up our title challenge. I got back from Mexico Saturday morning and I still cant sleep. It's a nightmare. 

I travel all the fucking time for work, so tbh I have no sympathy for millionaires who have jet lag. After my business trip to China I was supposed to just work like fucking normal despite my jet lag having me so fucked up I may as well have been on drugs.

If I can have coffee and power through it, then so can everyone else. Especially people paid to kick a ball around.

I do think it should be in Europe though, but that’s just pure Eurocentric-ness.

In other news, City once again given an easy ride. Is anyone surprised? Nope

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I travel all the fucking time for work, so tbh I have no sympathy for millionaires who have jet lag. After my business trip to China I was supposed to just work like fucking normal despite my jet lag having me so fucked up I may as well have been on drugs.

If I can have coffee and power through it, then so can everyone else. Especially people paid to kick a ball around.

I do think it should be in Europe though, but that’s just pure Eurocentric-ness.

In other news, City once again given an easy ride. Is anyone surprised? Nope

One week they’ve been given their melatonin top ups and spent the flight in first class on a full lie down bed, it’ll be fuck all like your average Joe sufferers.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's a bit different though mate when you are a professional athlete where small details can determine either winning, drawing or losing a game. Especially with the fixture list we have got. Fergie said himself that he hated the CWC because it was a certainty that points would be dropped on return. 

Premiere league players cant just have a coffee and 'hey presto' be on top of their game xD

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

One week they’ve been given their melatonin top ups and spent the flight in first class on a full lie down bed, it’ll be fuck all like your average Joe sufferers.

You obviously dont understand jet lag. Its fucking horrible. I slept most of the way home from Mexico and Jamaica last year, but it still gets you when you arrive home at a totally different time scale. Absolutely wide awake at night and absolutely bollocksed in the day. Takes a good 3 - 4 days to get back into a routine. Everyone is different of course, some adjust better than others, but it affects you all the same. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You obviously dont understand jet lag. Its fucking horrible.

Yeah, I’ve never been on a flight more than 2 hours to Salou or had jet lag 9_9. I do understand jet lag. The flight time and sleep patterns all have an effect. You’ll have far worse jet lag in cattle class not sleeping without medication, than a full nights kip in first class with doctors giving you medication. Guaranteed.

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

And why was that? Oh yeah, because the FA refused to switch fixtures when they knew United were playing in a competition at exactly the same time. Instead, Liverpool entered a competition knowing there could be issues, as did the FA, but of course it’s completely different because it’s Liverpool ffs. Football fans are ridiculous. 

This isn't anything to do with the FA to be honest. It's the Football League Cup

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

This isn't anything to do with the FA to be honest. It's the Football League Cup

My apologies, the EFL, but It’s pretty much the same circumstances. In fact, it’s almost exactly the same. With the exception you’ve entered the competition and now there’s an issue because of the scheduling. We saw there would be an issue and the sanctioning body refused to reschedule and therefore politely asked us not to enter. I didn’t even know this would be an issue for Liverpool until yesterday. I’d hazard a bet most Liverpool fans didn’t know either.

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

It’s pretty much the same circumstances. In fact, it’s almost exactly the same. With the exception you’ve entered the competition and now there’s an issue because of the scheduling. We saw there would be an issue and the sanctioning body refused to reschedule and therefore politely asked us not to enter. I didn’t even know this would be an issue for Liverpool until yesterday. I’d hazard a bet most Liverpool fans didn’t know either.

It is a bit different giving the FA Cup third round starts in January and that would have been United's first match in the competition. Liverpool have had to get through two rounds for this issue to arise. And like I say, different competitions, different people making the decisions

55 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It's a bit different though mate when you are a professional athlete where small details can determine either winning, drawing or losing a game. Especially with the fixture list we have got. Fergie said himself that he hated the CWC because it was a certainty that points would be dropped on return. 

Premiere league players cant just have a coffee and 'hey presto' be on top of their game xD

Yeah they’re top athletes and I’m an alcoholic - their bodies are better suited for it

Fergie had excuses for everything. He claimed  players in grey kits couldn’t see each other so they couldn’t pass to each other & that Henderson wouldn’t be a good player because of the way he runs - I’d take everything he says with a handful of salt

I honestly think a bigger issue than the jet lag is the preseason vibe the whole competition gives odd. It feels like a preseason tournament - but it’s in the middle of the season, where English clubs have fixture congestion.

It’s honestly a pointless competition, but the prize money makes it more of a priority than the league cup unfortunately. Which is honestly a shame because that match last night would be a lot more memorable if we go on to tie it to some historical significance with a trophy.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Linesman, you are great ... but having a nightmare here mate.

Not really.

You're bound to gain fitness better and re-condition properly if you're gonna have better comfort on a long journey. Yes jetlag may have an effect in any scenario, but the comparison he's making from a player being able to sleep comfortably to someone in a normal seat with great difficulty and lesser comfort is a fair one. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Not really.

You're bound to gain fitness better and re-condition properly if you're gonna have better comfort on a long journey. Yes jetlag may have an effect in any scenario, but the comparison he's making from a player being able to sleep comfortably to someone in a normal seat with great difficulty and lesser comfort is a fair one. 

I wasnt referring to that. I was referring to his comparison of Utd being excused from the FA Cup (totally) to the situation we are in now. 

It's totally different. Different competition at a totally different time of the year. 

But yeah, jet lag affects everyone whether you are comfortable or not. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I honestly think a bigger issue than the jet lag is the preseason vibe the whole competition gives odd. It feels like a preseason tournament - but it’s in the middle of the season, where English clubs have fixture congestion.

It’s honestly a pointless competition, but the prize money makes it more of a priority than the league cup unfortunately. Which is honestly a shame because that match last night would be a lot more memorable if we go on to tie it to some historical significance with a trophy.

The prize money will be much less if the CWC fucks up our chance of winning the league. Seriously, I'd rather we not go. Just say all the players have the shits and cant participate xD

• The topic was unpinned

Archived