The better place to talk football.

Bournemouth 1-0 Man Utd - Saturday 2nd November, 2019

football forum

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

‘Expected goals’. In a sport where people regularly miss from 2 yards out xD

Haha, I didn't watch the game. I couldn't tell you if United had a big chance just from that. I just find the map funny.

I've always criticized stats and I stand by that they aren't always representative of a situation, but I've grown on their use. I really only use it to back up my points! :D 

United had no game plan whatsoever, how can they put so much pressure on Dan James to create something?

Its nearly November, get Ole out, bring in a good manager that plays attacking football and improves players and then back them in the January and Summer windows

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

Haha, I didn't watch the game. I couldn't tell you if United had a big chance just from that. I just find the map funny.

I've always criticized stats and I stand by that they aren't always representative of a situation, but I've grown on their use. I really only use it to back up my points! :D 

But you said you didn't watch the game so what point is being backed up? 

xG is total shite. Can't stand it and too much emphasis is being put on it when it comes to reading or seeing what happened in a game. It's like possession stats and passing numbers. Who gives a shit. It's irrelevant when it's put up against the goals scored/goals conceded columns... 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

But you said you didn't watch the game so what point is being backed up? 

xG is total shite. Can't stand it and too much emphasis is being put on it when it comes to reading or seeing what happened in a game. It's like possession stats and passing numbers. Who gives a shit. It's irrelevant when it's put up against the goals scored/goals conceded columns... 

I'm not backing anything up. I'm just clarifying so I don't look like a hypocrite.

I just found the map funny cos I cant stand United :D 

32 minutes ago, Stan said:

Also, I highly disagree. Has to be used correctly though.

Like if you say a midfielder has 95% of his passing successful, doesn't mean shit without putting it into context. If he has that high success rate but 90% of them are back passes with no progression to the game, then it is pointless.

However, if his passing success is that high and it is progressive passing, through balls or into the final third then it is telling. Personally what grinds my gears is the people who use the stats to try and compare one player to another just to claim that they are better. Numbers dont tell you the whole story, but you can use them to back up your points.

In the end, judgement should always be your number one priority, but stats are there to back up your points.

• The title was changed to Bournemouth 1-0 Man Utd - Saturday 2nd November, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived