talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 1-1 Tottenham - Sunday 3rd November, 2019

football forum

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Meh I’ve misused press as the media in general and in terms of the media in general yes it has been bias towards Liverpool FC for a while considering the large amount of ex-players involved. The media as a whole have routinely tried to pull apart and embarrass (the latter rightfully at times) the two most successful London sides for a very long time

Lets be honest who has more power as a media outlet, Sky Sports News and everything that comes with them or the Sun? Daily Mail etc? No competition it’s Sky.

I think you confuse being talked, written about as bias. Spurs and Arsenal are far smaller clubs than Liverpool, they're never going to get as much attention because not as many people want to know about them. A few ex players does not make a bias, it's about the journos and editors, and they nearly all London based, maybe a few in Manchester now. Hardly bastions of pro-Liverpool sentiment.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I think you confuse being talked, written about as bias. Spurs and Arsenal are far smaller clubs than Liverpool, they're never going to get as much attention because not as many people want to know about them. A few ex players does not make a bias, it's about the journos and editors, and they nearly all London based, maybe a few in Manchester now. Hardly bastions of pro-Liverpool sentiment.

When the majority of pundits are ex-Liverpool that constitutes a bias. You really can’t have paid attention to Arsenal and Spurs if you believe they benefit from any sort of media bias. Arsenal especially, the third biggest club in the country 

11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Of course that's your contribution to this thread.

For the record, I hope any cunt racially abusing anyone in our ground gets a lifetime ban.

What? I missed the incident with Gomes because I only had the match on in the background and I have no real appetite to see a replay of what sounds like a horrific injury. Don't really have anything else to add to what others said on the Alli handball so I picked up on another incident that will surely be a talking point given what's happened over the last few weeks. That's all

Isn't the area of Tottenham one of the safest Labour seats in the country? I know a lot of Tottenham's support will be from the home counties but I think it's a strange thing to aim at them. I could be wrong but I've always thought their support is the least Tory out of the other London clubs

• Administrator

Listened to the 2nd half of this game on the radio. Pat Nevin & Alan Green on 5 Live comms. Sounded like the first half was a bore-fest from what they were saying.

2nd half sounded lively and exciting even though Green would constantly say it was an unsatisfactory game.

VAR sounded like they had a howler. First with the Alli handball and then also with the red card. Nevin was adamant that it should have been a penalty and it just seemed like there was mass confusion about the Son/Aurier incident with Gomes. They seemed pretty sure it was just unfortunate that Aurier had come in to the tackle and Gomes landing awkwardly and Son's foul is a yellow in their eyes. Will obviously have to see it myself before saying further but their thoughts were that Everton should have had a stone-wall penalty and could have just about won a poor game.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Never a red that tackle on Gomes, from only seeing it once. Was it worth a red on replay (not that I imagine they showed it because of any distress it may cause)?

Son was a clear yellow, Aurier should have had the red for being the one who collided with Gomes but really it just looked unfortunate. Son's red will rightly be rescinded and Aurier may receive the ban retrospectively.

It's one of those where the tackle itself isn't a red card offence, it looked from the replay like he may even have just slipped, but as soon as someone's lying there with their foot pointing in the wrong direction someone will get a red card.

Son was so beside himself though that the red card was a bit of a mercy for him.

I actually feel bad for Aurier because I don't think he can do much.

Son has clipped Gomes, he's falling at a horrible angle and Aurier has already committed to the tackle.

Literally nothing he could do and he seemed as distraught as Son over it, and I've no doubt he was subbed because of that.

One of the worst officiated games of Football I've seen this season to go with what was generally one of the worst games of the season. At a loss as to why we can be so precise yesterday then so far off the mark today.

Draw was fair. It was a midtable clash essentially with just two teams that were scared to lose. Both sides look well off the pace to be frank but I think that probably pales in significance after what's happened today.

In isolation, Son's tackle wasn't a red, but he's broken someone's leg in quite gruesome fashion. There would've been a riot if either he or Aurier hadn't walked. I haven't seen Aurier's tackle in the same incident from a good angle (for obvious reasons) but that looked more of a red to me. Very reckless

I'm not sure on Alli's handball. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the "extending the silhouette" rule was only in European competition and we weren't doing it in the Premier League. If that is the case, then it's never handball. If it's not the case, then fuck me our refereeing is shite, because I've seen loads that should've been given.

• Administrator

Just seen the Gomes injury.

That is fucking disgusting and horrible. Man I feel sorry for him.

I heard that Son feigned an injury to the face shortly before and 'mysteriously recovered' to hack back at Gomes. I think that bit was petulant and what happens moments after is very unfortunate.

Premier League said Son was sent off for endangering an opponent with the foul he caused. Atkinson originally gave a yellow card but I think he's seen Gomes' injury and changed it to a red.

I think just because Son is bawling his eyes out doesn't mean what he has helped cause is any less dangerous. Perhaps a red is harsh but it was cynical.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

In isolation, Son's tackle wasn't a red, but he's broken someone's leg in quite gruesome fashion. There would've been a riot if either he or Aurier hadn't walked. I haven't seen Aurier's tackle in the same incident from a good angle (for obvious reasons) but that looked more of a red to me. Very reckless

I'm not sure on Alli's handball. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the "extending the silhouette" rule was only in European competition and we weren't doing it in the Premier League. If that is the case, then it's never handball. If it's not the case, then fuck me our refereeing is shite, because I've seen loads that should've been given.

This is my thought on it. By the laws of common sense it's an accidental handball and shouldn't be a penalty but by the laws of football they seem to get given regularly (possibly more in Europe than domestically but I can't remember) and our fanbase are hardly going to be sympathetic towards it after the penalty that got given against us last week.

Son's original tackle was a shithouse revenge tackle with no intention to get the ball because a couple of minutes earlier Gomes had accidentally caught him slightly in the face when they were battling over the ball. Players make those tackles all the time though, Gomes is actually the biggest culprit for doing exactly that from our side, the result is just unfortunate. He probably feels shittier about it though because he knows it was a petulant revenge tackle and it's had devastating consequences.

It just goes to show that any tackle with enough bad luck can end someone's season or even their career, which is why I'm against how many tackles are automatic red cards now.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

If only we had video techno.... oh wait.

Atkinson's had an absolute shocker this game.

Aurier I think should've gone. Son should be booked.

The Firmino offside call yesterday was him as the video referee... Mare of a weekend for him.

• The title was changed to Everton 1-1 Tottenham - Sunday 3rd November, 2019
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The narrative seems to be more about 'poor son' than 'poor gomes', only the London media. 

Son cynically kicked Gomes with no intention of getting the ball. It's gone tits up but it's his fault. 

Yeah I don’t understand anyone saying they feel bad for him. Because he was distraught at the injury? Pretty sure plenty of people were distraught. Because he feels guilty? He probably should tbh.

I might be the only one, but I dont think Son did much wrong. Watching the replay he didn't do much worse than what loads of players do in every game. It's just very unfortunate that its ended with a massive injury to the opposing player. 

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong? 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I might be the only one, but I dont think Son did much wrong. Watching the replay he didn't do much worse than what loads of players do in every game. It's just very unfortunate that its ended with a massive injury to the opposing player. 

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong? 

He definitely did something wrong. It's a shithouse tackle where he had no chance of winning the ball, and it was almost certainly a reaction to their little clash a couple of minutes beforehand where Gomes stuck his hand a bit in Son's face when he was shielding the ball from him, but you're also right that players do that in every game and only get booked.

Son is unlucky to be involved in the incident and I hope he doesn't get dogs abuse for it off our fans because of it, but nowhere near as unlucky as Gomes who actually didn't do anything wrong.

I find it hard to feel that sorry for him though because if he hadn't made that petulant tackle then a lad my age who represents my club and is a beloved figure of our fans hasn't just lost at least a year of his career.

• Subscriber

Just got back from Goodison.

VAR is an absolute farce.

Firstly wish Gomes all the best with his recovery - awful to see

secondly though that is absolutely shocking officiating again to send off Son, who’s tackle is just a yellow. Aurier hasn’t really done anything wrong either other than being there. Just cause there’s a very unfortunate injury doesn’t mean there’s a red card. They’ve cost us a win there. 

Everton the worst team we’ve played all season...and they could quite easily say the same about us. Two terrible teams devoid of confidence. 

Eriksen needs to never play for this club again. He’s stealing a living and should be exiled. Absolute prick.

No idea on handball as up the other end. Thought son was a pen in real time. 

Ugh not sure why I bother anymore though - football really isn’t enjoyable at the moment. 

TAD embarrassing himself again in this topic. Needs to stop the Sunday drinking 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived