• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 2nd November, 2019

football forum

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

That article doesn't say anything about the offside being wrong. It just says they having a meeting to try to improve var in general. They said on motd that the premier League has said the decision was right. It's black and white maths its not matter of opinion. 

Stop talking about maths xD it's literally a human drawing lines on a 2d image that isn't even in line.

1 hour ago, ...Dan said:

Stop talking about maths xD it's literally a human drawing lines on a 2d image that isn't even in line.Ate

Mate maths is everything to do with it. Angles are maths. The line isn't always accurate as the angle be misleading. That's why they use the other lines to work out whether the player is offside 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

The rule is that if any part of your body that you can score with is offside then that's what officials should flag for. Not just any body part in general :) 

I don't get how an armpit counts as a body part you can score with.

So therefore it shouldn't have been called offside. 

That ruling isn't even anything to do with VAR. It's just the rules of the game, simple as.

VAR only comes in to it because we seemingly have an official here (Martin Atkinson) who incorrectly thinks the armpit is a part of the body you can score with. 

I've just looked it up and you are right. So I don't really understand why the premier League have said it was the right decision. 

10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I've just looked it up and you are right. So I don't really understand why the premier League have said it was the right decision. 

Because they are dickheads who can never admit when they are wrong. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Because they are dickheads who can never admit when they are wrong. 

I don't think that's true mate. They have admitted var needs work. And it makes them look bad of they are unprofesional. I think this may be the issue. The law actually says you can't be offside with your hands or arms. There is maybe (I said maybe) an interpretation that your armpit is the end of your arms. Now before this was never an issue because we couldn't gage it. But now with the new technology we can. So it needs to be cleared up whether you are offside there.  Football isn't the only sport to have issues with interpretation of the rules. I don't think though this is an issue with var more an issue with interpretation that can be sorted out relitively easily. The end of the day mate you won anyway so who cares. But I get people's frustration. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

You’ve never seen a player score from a diving armpit? 

If you use your armpit to purposefully score, isn't that a handball technically (because it'll be bouncing off the underside of your arm) so it wouldn't be a goal (assuming the VAR ref isn't incompetent like Martin Atkinson)?

@LFCMadLad by the way I'm not saying that is what it is I'm just speculating. I don't know why they have said the decision was right. However I don't believe that they would say it was right if they knew it wasn't. We could debate whether they would do that or not but it's getting tedious and I'm sure your  bored of it as well. 

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

But what I'm saying is based on what the premier League has said. It's not a case of thinking it's offside. The premier League have said the system works and if they use the lines the way they do it proves it's offside. Doesn't matter what people think if it's a fact it's a fact. Maths doesn't lie.

So you're basing it off what the Premier League said?

FIFA has said the 48 teams World Cup is a good idea. I suppose we should believe them too?

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

So you're basing it off what the Premier League said?

FIFA has said the 48 teams World Cup is a good idea. I suppose we should believe them too?

Can't be bothered. See above why.

On 04/11/2019 at 15:06, Stan said:

Who said I prefer it over the spectacle?

Of course I love the spectacle and entertainment of the game. You don't have to love one (the spectacle) and hate the other (VAR). I can be a fan of both. 

I think VAR can add to the spectacle when it's done right and when officials make good/perfect use of it - like it has in some cases. But I can accept there are significant flaws in the way it has been used so far in the Premier League though, as well.

The issue with the var debate is that certain things people can't agree on because it depends how they affect you. I mean var hasn't really affected my celebration of goals. I still celebrate goals the same, I'm not worried that they are going to be disaload. But some people are. So for them it is a massive thing. It is really affecting their enjoyment of football. So it's understandable they hate it so much. Also I'm not really bothered by a couple of stockages. You get stockages in football anyway and it isn't really affecting my enjoyment of football. But again with some people it really is. 

Now those parts are personal preference and they are not really debatable points it depends how much it bothers you. However if in a few years time there are still these issues and a majority of fans are unhappy about it you can't really argue it is working even if it doesn't bother you personally.

9 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Even besides that though mate if you watched it in real time you saw Martin Atkinson draw a line from Firminos armpit, then a line from the defenders knee, then when he realised it showed Firmino inside meaning it would be a goal he re drew the Firmino line again with the defender line still showing and this time it came up as off side.... We watched it unfold in real time so we all know it was bullshit.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Even besides that though mate if you watched it in real time you saw Martin Atkinson draw a line from Firminos armpit, then a line from the defenders knee, then when he realised it showed Firmino inside meaning it would be a goal he re drew the Firmino line again with the defender line still showing and this time it came up as off side.... We watched it unfold in real time so we all know it was bullshit.

I don't buy into this he drew the line even though he knew it was wrong stuff. I mean there are loads of referees in the country and these are the best. They are professionals mate. Would you do something so unprofesional if you were a referee? 

29 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't buy into this he drew the line even though he knew it was wrong stuff. I mean there are loads of referees in the country and these are the best. They are professionals mate. Would you do something so unprofesional if you were a referee? 

We literally saw him draw the lines to show Firmino onside, then he changed it xD it's a case of not wanting to overrule his mate

• Subscriber

They made a mistake and they still haven't owned up to it. Forget the VAR bit, the fact that they think everyone is blind is the problem here. I can only imagine the fun times we're going to have when games get really important towards the end of the season and they have to make far more critical decisions.

25 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

We literally saw him draw the lines to show Firmino onside, then he changed it xD it's a case of not wanting to overrule his mate

I don't deny that. What I'm saying is I think he did it because he thought it was the right decision. Don't believe he did it to make it seem like the referee was right even though he knew it was wrong. Would you do that if you were a referee? 

20 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

They made a mistake and they still haven't owned up to it. Forget the VAR bit, the fact that they think everyone is blind is the problem here. I can only imagine the fun times we're going to have when games get really important towards the end of the season and they have to make far more critical decisions.

End if the day mate we could argue about it all day long. A lot of people think they are just not admitting they are wrong. I don't probably best just to agree to disagree. Liverpool won anyway so who cares. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

End if the day mate we could argue about it all day long. A lot of people think they are just not admitting they are wrong. I don't probably best just to agree to disagree. Liverpool won anyway so who cares. 

I concur that we won but this is a situation where a team affected doesn't really see a change in the outcome of the game. But, if its a last minute goal in a draw and it ends up favoring the other team or its a draw and the goal is disallowed then its not really helping as an accurate system. Like you said, we can spin circles here for ages but this is why I still think that all decisions should be made public so people can read the reasoning and come to their own conclusions. Saying, any referee would have given it (the FA's comment apparently) is pretty ambiguous considering you're using a pretty accurate measuring stick for said decision. I'd like to see what happens when the managers have their meeting with the FA and the outcome of it all. Till then I think we should migrate to the VAR thread haha this thread has taken some serious VAR loving. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived