talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Halloween - Guising - Trick or Treat

football forum

• Subscriber

Not sure if this is celebrated around the world but this is a big thing in Scotland, our daughter with our grandsons who live locally and they did their normal yearly port of calls.

74634383_10219241520844680_8349523466893918208_n.thumb.jpg.3c3cc7c711f47024be87261c6b2f0fde.jpg

Our daughter and wee Kaiden with friends getting ready for the 'Trick or Treats' calls

75388290_10219252869728395_2121829606477529088_n.thumb.jpg.8f53e94540ddfe75922d0b4021dd6d60.jpg

The wife had bags of sweets ready for any callers, I heard a knock at the door and said to the wife 'Fuck...trick or treaters...you answer" and she said "NO... you answer" and she rushed into the kitchen to get the bag of sweeties, I answered the door and...

20191031_210358.jpg.de4844f4d9d2c9f9cd86a8a9e2e7735f.jpg  

20191031_210403.jpg.3ec592840e049075e184a04c59adc40a.jpg

It was our eldest grandson Connor 'Trick or Treating' walked him into the kitchen and he said "Trick or Treat grannie", she gave him a can of juice.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

No. Not a tradition here so never celebrated it. We actually have another festival with a similar tradition of children dressing up as devils, witches, the Grim Reaper etc. and going from house to house asking for treats (sweet pancakes originally - although it's probably changed now too); so Halloween is kind of even more pointless to me. Although today I actually had some kids at my door dressed in costumes so I guess it's slowly taking hold.

Can't stand the thing. I live on a ground floor so have had to keep the lights off all night in case any of the little darlings came round and I'd have had to tell them to fuck off.

Saw something on the BBC before about pumpkin farms exploding in popularity as people visit to get 'Instagramable' content. The absolute fucking dangers. God help us.

• Subscriber

Think its okay for kids but adults I suppose would be weird. Then again this is just an excuse to get dressed and go out drinking which is what they'd do anyways and now you just have the added benefit of watching people dress up.

I love Halloween and am glad it's finally taken off in Australia.

It's just a great fun event for kids that is totally unlike anything else on the calendar and gets people up and interacting with their neighbourhood so why not embrace it?

Some photos of my neighbourhood last night... One shot is from my front doorstep... Very busy night

20191031_190337.thumb.jpg.42b39ce7feb29bfedaacab4df6d32a1e.jpg

20191031_175411.jpg

FB_IMG_1572555285766.jpg

FB_IMG_1572555264355.jpg

20191101_080446.jpg

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

@IgnisExcubitor @Mel81x @Asura 

Do you guys do anything for Halloween in India?

I ask as I saw a brief headline on Twitter, about Halloween taking off in India, saying 'don't you have enough festivals to celebrate already?' xD 

Got a lot of friends here who are just working here but not really from here so we do a halloween bash either the weekend before or after Halloween. What's even odder is that I live next to a micro-brewery that has a Halloween Special and do a Pumpkin brew just for the month as well. I'd say its taken off here but mostly in bars its not like people take their kids trick-or-treating.

• Subscriber

Actually a quiet night for us with no one knocking at the door except our eldest grandson I showed in the photo but he is a crafty little bugger and now he has grown up and not into the Halloween bit he only came around because he knew grannie would give him some dosh to go to the cinema with his pals, which she did and a can of juice.

Guy Fawkes night next but that has changed a hell of a lot over the years, gone are the days of making a guy and sitting it in a barrow and go around asking for a penny for the guy or building a bonfire in your back garden, a lot of restrictions are in place up here in Scotland for bonfire night.

• Subscriber

We had loads of little ones knock on the door and every single one was polite. It really shocked me. Leeds is obviously a nicer place than Grimsby where they usually threaten to stab you and actually mean it.

Last year I had a little taste of how the Americans do it and they have a lot more going on it seems than in the UK. An American mate of mine was telling me how Halloween and the time in and around it is the best time of year because of the arrival of 'Fall' and how good everything looks. After seeing how they do it, Halloween has grown on me a little and I can now see more the positive aspects of it but for the most part, I'm still indifferent to it.

Here in Spain, it's getting bigger and bigger every year it seems.

Certainly a massive deal here. We probably had....100-200 kids show up in all kind of crazy costumes. Wife puts us in a family costume so that we all match, but honestly it's nice to walk around the neighborhood with friends, while our kids run around, and we are drinking our drinks of choice (This year was vodka tonic kind of Halloween). 

4 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Always wanted to go see how the Americans do their holidays. My auntie lives out there in Houston now so trying to get her to let me stay there for a bit next year.

It's a big deal here. Quite a sight to see if you haven't before, as there are some families that put  A LOT of effort into their outfits. 

19 hours ago, Stan said:

I ask as I saw a brief headline on Twitter, about Halloween taking off in India, saying 'don't you have enough festivals to celebrate already?' xD 

I've been living in the US for the last decade mate, I dont know how things are in India about this "festival" .. heard some people are celebrating it though.

Personally not a big fan of this day and it has to be one of the very least favourite festivals in this country for me. The whole dressing up and make up to look like ghosts isnt really my thing. 

On 01/11/2019 at 14:34, Stan said:

It's been on the up for the past few years but strictly in metros. It can be harmless fun for kids.

However, when it's celebrated here its done more as a party, rather than kids going to other people's doors for candy (they will probably get confused looks). But this thing is mostly celebrated by young adults - who are probably looking for an excuse to have a party. 

Personally don't care about the thing. And you are right though about us already having too many festivals xD

On 01/11/2019 at 14:43, Mel81x said:

Got a lot of friends here who are just working here but not really from here so we do a halloween bash either the weekend before or after Halloween. What's even odder is that I live next to a micro-brewery that has a Halloween Special and do a Pumpkin brew just for the month as well. I'd say its taken off here but mostly in bars its not like people take their kids trick-or-treating.

I cannot seem to find it now, but I came across this Facebook post about a couple here forcibly taking their kids for trick or treating. Apparently, neither the kids or their confused neighbours in the residential complex were pleased :D

EDIT: On a sidenote, we already have a month long thing for the dead. Where we leave home cooked food on the roofs/windows for the crows to eat (depending on the date of the departed according to the Indian calender), believing that the souls of the dead family members visit us through them. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I cannot seem to find it now, but I came across this Facebook post about a couple here forcibly taking their kids for trick or treating. Apparently, neither the kids or their confused neighbours in the residential complex were pleased :D

This reminds me of a time when we were drinking on the 30th and someone dared a friend to go to their neighbors house with a plastic bag and trick or treat. Lets just say they were in their late 60s and were utterly confused. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

EDIT: On a sidenote, we already have a month long thing for the dead. Where we leave home cooked food on the roofs/windows for the crows to eat (depending on the date of the departed according to the Indian calender), believing that the souls of the dead family members visit us through them. 

That's brilliant that. :x

I'm not really into it but for kids it is fun, and I suppose for some adults wearing costumes is fun as well. To each their own, I am okay with it. What annoys me more are the people that bang on about how much they hate it, or how it too 'American'. Just let people have their harmless fun. Wew lad, Halloween is too American but hoping into several wars with them isn't, hohohoho.

Good fun for the kids and obviously anyone who makes an effort to have a creepy house etc... seen a lot of celebrities that were getting dressed up as various characters on social media under the banner of Halloween last week but Halloween is based on horror/ghost themes not Frozen or superhero costumes?? didn't get that?? are they worried they might miss out on the social media spotlight or something so just chuck on any old shit and take loads of selfies?? 

• The title was changed to Halloween - Guising - Trick or Treat

Archived