talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Halloween - Guising - Trick or Treat

football forum

13 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm not really into it but for kids it is fun, and I suppose for some adults wearing costumes is fun as well. To each their own, I am okay with it.

It polls very highly with the cosplay crowd.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/11/2019 at 06:17, Spike said:

What annoys me more are the people that bang on about how much they hate it, or how it too 'American'. Just let people have their harmless fun. Wew lad, Halloween is too American but hoping into several wars with them isn't, hohohoho.

General resistance to American culture back in the 90's and early 00's was such a thing when there was this general prevalence throughout all media and narratives that America was this worldwide bastion of virtue, but to me the people that hold that negative view of everything else associated with America, including Halloween seem to have faded since those times, in line with America's fade towards being just another dysfunctional nation like any other. Resentment has been replaced by indifference and/or sympathy. Where people used to rebel out of principal due to its Americanness people now just take Halloween on its merits and give it a go.

Case in point. Halloween has definitely broken through in Australia now in a way it never had before (at least 1000 kids came to my house from 5 to 8pm that day). Other than the above i don't understand why it's finally happened now when for so long it could not...

On 02/11/2019 at 15:17, Spike said:

Wew lad, Halloween is too American but hoping into several wars with them isn't, hohohoho.

Mate, this is a thread about Halloween, not Christmas. Go back to your factory Santa.

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Harry said:

Halloween has definitely broken through in Australia now in a way it never had before (at least 1000 kids came to my house from 5 to 8pm that day). Other than the above i don't understand why it's finally happened now when for so long it could not...

One word, information. It's amazing how you can shape entire societies by feeding them information be it pictures or merely words. What was cool back in the 90s was generally slower to reach the masses due to the influence of how that information was digested and more importantly when it was digested. These days you could sneeze and the news has the ability to permeate at the least 1000s of people with the capability of the internet. It has its downsides as well which makes people think they know what's going on when the reality on the ground is far from it but that's just the way things are now. 

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

One word, information. It's amazing how you can shape entire societies by feeding them information be it pictures or merely words. What was cool back in the 90s was generally slower to reach the masses due to the influence of how that information was digested and more importantly when it was digested. These days you could sneeze and the news has the ability to permeate at the least 1000s of people with the capability of the internet. It has its downsides as well which makes people think they know what's going on when the reality on the ground is far from it but that's just the way things are now. 

I don't think that's true in my experience.

My neighbourhoods Halloween has spread via a letterbox drop only. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't think that's true in my experience.

My neighbourhoods Halloween has spread via a letterbox drop only. 

Interesting and who started the letterbox drop? Or how did that come about? 

27 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Interesting and who started the letterbox drop? Or how did that come about? 

A lady moved into our neighbourhood from the US. She did a letterbox drop in 4 streets around her saying this area was hosting Halloween and to blow up a balloon (attached to her print out) and put it on your letterbox if you're participating.

She did a similar drop on the surrounding streets letting them know it was happening and it spread from there. Five years later it's now become known in the area in a similar way to the streets that go all out with Christmas lights wind up being known and having people drive past...

That's not too say online aspects have been irrelevant, it just doesn't explain for me the mass participation, and how many people are getting their kids into it these days.... I think something has changed in people's character from one generation to the next that's led to the embrace of Halloween...

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Harry said:

A lady moved into our neighbourhood from the US. She did a letterbox drop in 4 streets around her saying this area was hosting Halloween and to blow up a balloon (attached to her print out) and put it on your letterbox if you're participating.

She did a similar drop on the surrounding streets letting them know it was happening and it spread from there. Five years later it's now become known in the area in a similar way to the streets that go all out with Christmas lights wind up being known and having people drive past...

That's not too say online aspects have been irrelevant, it just doesn't explain for me the mass participation, and how many people are getting their kids into it these days.... I think something has changed in people's character from one generation to the next that's led to the embrace of Halloween...

Nice. I think thats a way for it to gather traction too. It is a global space these days anyways so people are always moving around and I think Halloween can be fun for families and kids especially. 

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

Halloween creeping nearer again but the last 2/3 years we hardly got any kids (with parents) knocking at the door for the 'Trick or Treat', the wife bought the normal bags of sweets just in case but if we get no callers the grandsons will finish off the bags of sweets, and the wife.  xD 

We never had this when we were kids growing up in Tilbury Docks, Guy Fawkes was the big thing with the bonfires and fireworks but nowadays it has changed a hell of a lot with the restrictions.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Halloween creeping nearer again but the last 2/3 years we hardly got any kids (with parents) knocking at the door for the 'Trick or Treat', the wife bought the normal bags of sweets just in case but if we get no callers the grandsons will finish off the bags of sweets, and the wife.  xD 

We never had this when we were kids growing up in Tilbury Docks, Guy Fawkes was the big thing with the bonfires and fireworks but nowadays it has changed a hell of a lot with the restrictions.

I wonder why there were no visitors last year. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

I wonder why there were no visitors last year. 

Most of the young kids around here have moved on and nowadays it's the schools that hold junior Halloween shows for kids and parents, a lot safer in today's world.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Most of the young kids around here have moved on and nowadays it's the schools that hold junior Halloween shows for kids and parents, a lot safer in today's world.

I was thinking pandemic xD

It's an American thing isn't it, we don't celebrate it properly so it kinda feels a bit on the tacky side.

Although on the flip side, it's always offered a solid excuse for girls to dress provocatively and have no shame so from that perspective, it's ok.

• 11 months later...

Why do people give a fuck if it is American? People can’t have fun? Jesus Christ, they will have a sook about Halloween and then go watch thirty Marvel movies and listen to their favourite US pop artist. Grow up.

It's a bit of fun for the kids, honestly winds me up when I hear people moaning about it. All the doom and gloom that is going on around the world and people are negative about something kids absolutely love.

It's as simple as this, if you don't want anyone to knock just leave a little sign saying so and maybe leave a bowl of sweets so you don't get hassled.

• Subscriber

I must admit when I was a young nipper growing up in Tilbury, Essex we never celebrated Halloween, the big thing then was Guy Fawkes, a month before November the 5th going up the local woods getting broken branches and dragging them home to build a bonfire in the garden.

Then it was making up a Guy out of old clothes straw etc then finding an old pram, sticking the guy in it, and then going around Tilbury Docks, sitting on the bridge asking for "A penny for the guy", then on bonfire night sticking the poor guy on the bonfire and setting the poor thing on fire. xD

pasted+image+0.png

But over the years Halloween, especially here in Scotland, is a big thing and wee Kaiden and his pals are looking forward to it, dressing up and whatnot, the wife has already bagged a load of treats for the 'Trick or Treaters' that will call as we know our daughter and her pals will be calling with their bairns and knocking at our door.

Either Kaiden or the daughter is dressing up as a dinosaur for the night.

download.png

• Subscriber
Just now, CaaC (John) said:

That's the wife getting ready for the 'Trick or Treat's' callers tonight with bags ready for loading up with sweets and whatnot, we know our daughter is calling with Kaiden and a few more mums and their kiddies. :D

A.png

I'll have an orange, please! :D

On 23/10/2022 at 21:12, CaaC (John) said:

I must admit when I was a young nipper growing up in Tilbury, Essex we never celebrated Halloween, the big thing then was Guy Fawkes, a month before November the 5th going up the local woods getting broken branches and dragging them home to build a bonfire in the garden.

Then it was making up a Guy out of old clothes straw etc then finding an old pram, sticking the guy in it, and then going around Tilbury Docks, sitting on the bridge asking for "A penny for the guy", then on bonfire night sticking the poor guy on the bonfire and setting the poor thing on fire. xD

pasted+image+0.png

But over the years Halloween, especially here in Scotland, is a big thing and wee Kaiden and his pals are looking forward to it, dressing up and whatnot, the wife has already bagged a load of treats for the 'Trick or Treaters' that will call as we know our daughter and her pals will be calling with their bairns and knocking at our door.

Either Kaiden or the daughter is dressing up as a dinosaur for the night.

download.png

I'll be taking my younger two boys out tonight.  My eldest son (15) is over it (rightly so) and will spend the evening on his phone and eating everyone else's candy.  I still enjoy it... especially if the weather is nice.  Just stroll around the neighborhood with some beers and talk with the neighbors while the kids have a bit of fun.  Nothing wrong with it at all.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Coma said:

I'll be taking my younger two boys out tonight.  My eldest son (15) is over it (rightly so) and will spend the evening on his phone and eating everyone else's candy.  I still enjoy it... especially if the weather is nice.  Just stroll around the neighborhood with some beers and talk with the neighbors while the kids have a bit of fun.  Nothing wrong with it at all.

The wife is in the kitchen bagging up the sweets for the trick or treaters and I asked if she wanted a hand, she said "NO!!!! you will bloody eat them..." O.o

32 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

The wife is in the kitchen bagging up the sweets for the trick or treaters and I asked if she wanted a hand, she said "NO!!!! you will bloody eat them..." O.o

She's not wrong.  One for me, one for the kids, one for me, etc.

• The title was changed to Halloween - Guising - Trick or Treat

Archived