talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nathan Jones Sacked by Stoke City; Michael O'Neill Appointed

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was unfortunate, Stoke have been on a downer since Mark Hughes and Gary Rowett added to the cluster fuck situation there and it's been too much to turn around.

But it's a prime example of how the grass isn't always greener, especially when you think how much he put into getting Luton where they are now. I bet given the choice he'd love to still be there.

That being said, I do think he can be an asset to someone and if I was Portsmouth, I'd ditch Kenny Jackett now and move on Jones.

Pompey are struggling, Jackett's style is dour where as Nathan Jones could really revitalise things there with his more positive forward thinking.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

He was unfortunate, Stoke have been on a downer since Mark Hughes and Gary Rowett added to the cluster fuck situation there and it's been too much to turn around.

But it's a prime example of how the grass isn't always greener, especially when you think how much he put into getting Luton where they are now. I bet given the choice he'd love to still be there.

That being said, I do think he can be an asset to someone and if I was Portsmouth, I'd ditch Kenny Jackett now and move on Jones.

Pompey are struggling, Jackett's style is dour where as Nathan Jones could really revitalise things there with his more positive forward thinking.

If you’re saying he should never have left Luton, I cannot agree with you. 

The difference in terms of salary from Luton to Stoke would have likely been pretty significant, potentially life altering for him and it’s not as though this was a sideways move, he went from a team on the crest of a wave in League One to a club recently relegated from the Premier League, where he’d have more money to spend in terms of wages and fees for players. 

I had this conversation with Dan a while back and my situation still stands. Absolute no brainer at the time to move from Luton to Stoke City. Regardless of the direction both clubs are heading in.

I wanted him to turn it around. He seems like a nice enough bloke that's willing to take responsibility. Unfortunately he couldn't figure out his strongest team and some of the individual injuries are catastrophic.

If I was Portsmouth I would be seriously considering a replacement. Kenny Jackett is a very good manager at this level but his character also comes across as very one dimensional. A more human approach with Nathan Jones may suit the players better at present.

Yeah, I like Jones. Done well at Luton and seems an honest bloke. Some of his interviews at Stoke have gone away from the same old clichèd nonsense you see from struggling managers and has been honest, maybe sometimes too honest, but quite refreshing. 

Think he’ll walk into a job. Portsmouth is a decent shout for his next role. 

Feel sorry for him a bit, from what I’ve seen and read his Stoke side have been good they e just been really unlucky. Their xg for example has always had them in line with getting points from games rather than losing.

Reminds me a bit of us under Dean Smith and more recently Thomas Frank where he went something like 13 games without a win when he first took over

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.7c659db421be8dfe700c33951bc56e83.png

Michael O'Neill: Stoke seek permission to speak to Northern Ireland manager

Championship strugglers Stoke City have made an official approach for Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill.

The Potters, bottom of the table, are seeking a successor to Nathan Jones who was sacked on 1 November after just nine months in charge.

Former international player O'Neill, 50, has been NI boss for eight years, leading them to the Euro 2016 finals.

It is believed Stoke are negotiating with the Irish FA over how much compensation would have to be paid.

On Thursday, the IFA confirmed Stoke had sought permission to speak to O'Neill.

Shortly after dismissing Jones, Stoke asked to talk to Alex Neil, manager of Preston North End, but the request was turned down by their Championship rivals.

It has been a difficult season so far for the Potters who have won just two league matches.

However, they have a number of well-known players such as internationals Jack Butland, Joe Allen and James McClean.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50330200

Don't know much about him but he seemed like a nice guy. Honest no blaming the referees and that just excepted he wasn't don't a good enough job as the time.

• The title was changed to Nathan Jones Sacked by Stoke City; Michael O'Neill to Take Over
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.5a9b28d0fc0a42a33f623aeee3e0a19b.png

Michael O'Neill: Stoke City appoint Northern Ireland boss as new manager

Michael O'Neill has been appointed as manager of Stoke City but will take charge of Northern Ireland for any potential Euro 2020 play-off games.

He will take over at the Championship's bottom club immediately and will manage Northern Ireland for their final two qualifiers and any play-off in March.

O'Neill, 50, succeeds Nathan Jones, who was sacked by Stoke on 1 November.

He guided Northern Ireland to Euro 2016 and the brink of the 2018 World Cup during his eight-year reign.

FULL REPORT

• The title was changed to Nathan Jones Sacked by Stoke City; Michael O'Neill Appointed
  • 5 months later...

Archived