The better place to talk football.

Adam Lallana - Leicester-Bound in Summer

football forum

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dan said:

He's coming to Leicester.

I've got to be honest I don't think this is all that great a signing. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

Tbf to him, he's definitely one of Rodgers' best signings with us - and he was one of the ones that he fought for while he was on that transfer committee. Although, Rodgers didn't quite get the most out of him like Klopp did.

But he's a good player and he'll offer your squad a bit of experience and a pretty sharp footballing brain - think he'll be a decent signing.

The only risk with him imo is how injury prone he is.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf to him, he's definitely one of Rodgers' best signings with us - and he was one of the ones that he fought for while he was on that transfer committee. Although, Rodgers didn't quite get the most out of him like Klopp did.

But he's a good player and he'll offer your squad a bit of experience and a pretty sharp footballing brain - think he'll be a decent signing.

The only risk with him imo is how injury prone he is.

The worry for me is, bar experience*, what's he going to bring to us that we don't already have?

* experience is obviously a good thing and I think we do need to be a bit more savvy as a team, but it's hard to truly quantify what is actually offered here. I don't think he's a bad player by any means but I do fear that from a tactical point of view he's not really going to add anything. I think we lack variety as it is.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

The worry for me is, bar experience*, what's he going to bring to us that we don't already have?

* experience is obviously a good thing and I think we do need to be a bit more savvy as a team, but it's hard to truly quantify what is actually offered here. I don't think he's a bad player by any means but I do fear that from a tactical point of view he's not really going to add anything. I think we lack variety as it is.

It’s true and it is tough to quantity. But it’s also what makes Milner such a great signing for us - it’s a mentality thing & something that I think he’s helped instill in our side.

I think it’s a good free agent signing for you tbh. He’s a player with a good mentality and he’s worked with Rodgers before so he understands the manager’s vision for how his sides should play.

I think it’d be a bit like when you signed Evans. On paper there’s probably sexier signings around, but you’re getting a smart player that has experience at the level that Leicester are at and want to consistently be at. I think players like that are valuable on the pitch and in the dressing room.

Relatively low risk as a free agent and if it all works according to plan it’s well worth it

• Administrator

Definitely brought in for experience and that's how we have to take this signing. If we go in to it thinking he's going to be some world-class, flair player you just set yourself up for disappointment.

With how we want to play out from the back, he's the kind of signing we want. Bit of composure in the middle of the pitch. Will sometimes venture forward as well. 

Let's remember we're going to have a much busier calendar next season so it's a shrewd signing, on a free, that will give us much-needed depth for next season. Look at our midfield situation now - Ndidi, Mendy, Choudhury all unavailable for various reasons. At least next season we'll have a bit more cover for when the time comes.

Yeah it's not the headline signing we want, but it could turn out a signing we need over the next 12-18 months from when he does sign. 

• The title was changed to Adam Lallana - Leicester-Bound in Summer
  • Subscriber

Thing is though Stan if we had Lallana available for this weekend it wouldn't really solve anything. I do think this defensive midfielder situation is a bit of a freak but I feel like we're just adding too many of the same type of player. I quite like Praet but he's a bit similar to Tielemans and Maddison, and Lallana is a bit similar to those three as well, how I see it.

If the right circumstances permit I'd not be against this as a signing but I do think we're going to probably end up putting him on wages above what use he's going to be to us. Evans was different - I didn't have any worries about him coming in at all and thought at the time it was mental how nobody else went in for him, and he's been one of the real bargains of the last few windows in my opinion.

I just feel like if we have Lallana signed, for what is likely to probably be about £100k a week and probably a 3 year deal, we will still need that winger, we will still need another box to box type of midfielder.

If this is our winger signing I'll be disappointed. I think we need to go out and go for a real up and coming, goalscoring, creative winger, somebody that teams genuinely fear playing against - being a Champions League side (all going well) we could definitely attract this type of player in my opinion. I'd be willing to see us break our record for it. Just imagine a Mahrez level wide man in this side. We'd be a proper contender to make the top 4 or better again next year I think - I feel like this year, while we've done well, we have definitely benefitted from the weakness of a lot of the others. Sign this elusive player and I think we become proper candidates even in a situation where some of the others get their act together.

• Subscriber

We bought Perez when going for a winger and I also think that was an error. I think he's an alright player but wasn't worth the money paid (if it was £30mil), nor is he a great fit, we still need that winger.

On 24/02/2020 at 10:40, Dan said:

We bought Perez when going for a winger and I also think that was an error. I think he's an alright player but wasn't worth the money paid (if it was £30mil), nor is he a great fit, we still need that winger.

Sounds weirdly familiar...

• Administrator
On 19/02/2020 at 23:39, Dan said:

He's coming to Leicester.

I've got to be honest I don't think this is all that great a signing. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

This would seem to support a major sale in the summer, Maddison for £80m seems a good bet 

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Batard said:

This would seem to support a major sale in the summer, Maddison for £80m seems a good bet 

I'd be very disappointed with that. If we sell Maddison we need to go and buy a similar type of player, someone on the up who you can rely on to start frequently - Lallana has started 9 league games in 3 years. If Villa went down I'd simply try and get Grealish but I'd imagine it won't be easy - but then again geographically it would suit him and he's mates with some of our players, and if we can offer Champions League football then you never know.

As a side note, how highly do you rate Eze? Know you follow QPR.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Dan said:

I'd be very disappointed with that. If we sell Maddison we need to go and buy a similar type of player, someone on the up who you can rely on to start frequently - Lallana has started 9 league games in 3 years. If Villa went down I'd simply try and get Grealish but I'd imagine it won't be easy - but then again geographically it would suit him and he's mates with some of our players, and if we can offer Champions League football then you never know.

As a side note, how highly do you rate Eze? Know you follow QPR.

He's a great lad. Humble, mostly due to how he was treated before landing at QPR - he nearly quit football altogether. He is destined for good things, he's got pace power and technique. The next move for him will be crucial, he will need a manager that will put his arm around him and encourage him. it seems spurs will sign him but I'm not so sure it's the best move however at this time for him

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Batard said:

He's a great lad. Humble, mostly due to how he was treated before landing at QPR - he nearly quit football altogether. He is destined for good things, he's got pace power and technique. The next move for him will be crucial, he will need a manager that will put his arm around him and encourage him. it seems spurs will sign him but I'm not so sure it's the best move however at this time for him

This sounds more and more like a good fit for us. Rodgers sounds like a very good fit for him - would be happy to see him rock up here.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Dan said:

This sounds more and more like a good fit for us. Rodgers sounds like a very good fit for him - would be happy to see him rock up here.

He play's in the hole behind the forwards, but very different to Maddison. More of a driving force than a passing dynamo. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Batard said:

He play's in the hole behind the forwards, but very different to Maddison. More of a driving force than a passing dynamo. 

I'm not really thinking him as a direct Maddison replacement - I'm thinking as well as a prospective Maddison replacement. Like I said my plan A would be Grealish but I'm sure my genius scouting will produce a few more names in the coming months xD

I'd take Lallana as an option but on sensible wages, and like I said, 9 starts in 3 years, I'm not comfortable at all relying on that to be a starter.

• The topic was locked

Archived