Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Group C - Matchday 4 - Wednesday 6th November, 2019

6 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I get why they did it. But I think it had been taken to far. They balance right. But I believe they will.  It does show how easily var can be misinterpreted. Out of interest do you feel var has improved in the leagues it has been used. You watch the a league don't you where it has been used for a while?

I like it's usage in the A-League. I like that all decisions/replays are shown on screen and fans in the stadium aren't wondering wtf is going on or wtf are they checking. 

Sometimes decisions take a while still but we're not talking everything. Stuff actually gets checked while ball is in play so by the time it goes out of play, they're pretty much ready to make a decision. And refs are encouraged to check the monitor if required. 

I think VAR has improved over time in that league. As for the Premier League it's hard to tell. Only been a few months. The biggest improvement would be encouraging use of the monitor and not worry so much about 're-refereeing' which is one of their concerns. The whole idea of VAR is to re-referee things the on-field ref might miss so using a monitor won't change that.

And communicate with fans better inside the stadium. I wonder if they could explain more, like in F1 for example. They name the drivers by car number so it's not exactly hard to do that on a football field either. Like 'potentially penalty for handball check against #8'. Instead of just 'penalty check' or 'red card check'. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@LFCMadLad don't know if you are watching mate. If you are would you support var if it worked that efficiently?

This just shows how bad VAR is! We are now celebrating them getting stuff right xD

football forum
44 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

This just shows how bad VAR is! We are now celebrating them getting stuff right xD

It's amusing. VAR got a decision right, that will show us!

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

This just shows how bad VAR is! We are now celebrating them getting stuff right 

The point was it was done quickly.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

I like it's usage in the A-League. I like that all decisions/replays are shown on screen and fans in the stadium aren't wondering wtf is going on or wtf are they checking. 

Sometimes decisions take a while still but we're not talking everything. Stuff actually gets checked while ball is in play so by the time it goes out of play, they're pretty much ready to make a decision. And refs are encouraged to check the monitor if required. 

I think VAR has improved over time in that league. As for the Premier League it's hard to tell. Only been a few months. The biggest improvement would be encouraging use of the monitor and not worry so much about 're-refereeing' which is one of their concerns. The whole idea of VAR is to re-referee things the on-field ref might miss so using a monitor won't change that.

And communicate with fans better inside the stadium. I wonder if they could explain more, like in F1 for example. They name the drivers by car number so it's not exactly hard to do that on a football field either. Like 'potentially penalty for handball check against #8'. Instead of just 'penalty check' or 'red card check'. 

I don't personally get to frustrated with not knowing. I'd prefer to know but if var disalows a goal I know there is a reason so I'm not to frustrated. I can see what the reason is later. 

The main point of the question though is has it improved in the years it has been in?

13 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

I still think Zagreb will go through. Sure Shakhtar have Atlanta at home but I think Zagreb can beat Atalanta away and at least draw City at home.

However, they need to go back to their best. If they play like they did today, City will take a comfortable win.

Dinamo Zagreb are a good side, especially with talented players like Dani Olmo, Petkovic, Orsic, Gojak and Hajrovic. But I think that Shakhtar have more depth in their squad and they have a very strong starting 11 themselves. I think that Shakhtar Donetsk will finish second behind City and advance to the next round. Dinamo Zagreb will probably finish 3rd and head to the Europa League, where they could do quite well. Dinamo Zagreb showed their potential when they destroyed Atalanta, so they are now a team to be taken very seriously.

Man City didn't perform very well against Atalanta. With all due respect to Atalanta, Man City should of really beaten them. The missed penalty by Gabriel Jesus and the sending off of Bravo didn't help City's cause, but they only have themselves to blame for not winning. Either way, unless Man City lose their next 2 matches, City are almost assured of qualifying for the next round.

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

2 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

It's amusing. VAR got a decision right, that will show us!

Just as quickly as you guys bash it at every moment, I think we're well entitled to call it when it goes right and works effectively. You can't have it both ways. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Just as quickly as you guys bash it at every moment, I think we're well entitled to call it when it goes right and works effectively. You can't have it both ways. 

Fair enough, but it was actually brought in to get things right, not wrong. So we shouldn't all be doing the fandango dance whenever they get something right. 

Just proves how shit it's been really.

40 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Fair enough, but it was actually brought in to get things right, not wrong. So we shouldn't all be doing the fandango dance whenever they get something right. 

Just proves how shit it's been really.

Of course it was meant to get things right. But if there's been so much criticism towards it, it's now got to a point where positive use of it should be commended. It's not how it should be but it is how it is! 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Of course it was meant to get things right. But if there's been so much criticism towards it, it's now got to a point where positive use of it should be commended. It's not how it should be but it is how it is! 

This wasnt even the Premier league VAR btw xD

football forum
8 hours ago, Michael said:

Dinamo Zagreb are a good side, especially with talented players like Dani Olmo, Petkovic, Orsic, Gojak and Hajrovic. But I think that Shakhtar have more depth in their squad and they have a very strong starting 11 themselves. I think that Shakhtar Donetsk will finish second behind City and advance to the next round. Dinamo Zagreb will probably finish 3rd and head to the Europa League, where they could do quite well. Dinamo Zagreb showed their potential when they destroyed Atalanta, so they are now a team to be taken very seriously.

I sincerely hope you're wrong mate, I have grown on this Zagreb side and really want them to go through.

Sadly, the one thing you are probably (absolutely) right on is Shakhtar having more strength in depth. If Dinamo gets the 3 points in Italy, then we'll see if they are capable of going through.