talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Medical & Health issues

football forum

13 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.621fa9fbce2c11f05ba57f6296af0753.png

I smoked that stuff once years ago and never again which I have mentioned in here before, mind you, I was pissed as a newt and the next day I woke up with a splitting headache and have never smoked it since.

20 Health benefits of cannabis that everyone should know

Wouldn't trust that mate. Says it isn't bad for your lungs which I'm pretty certain isn't true. I didn't read the whole article I stopped reading at that point but it actually says a study showed. However science has to be pier reviewed again and again until it is presented as fact. 

Anyway, we have a drugs thread.. which I think isn’t appropriate for a football forum but I ain’t the boss.

There is a strong correlation of my physical and mental health and when I stopped playing football regularly. I think throwing in teaching six year olds this year I feel like I am constantly being attacked by diseases and illnesses! I’ve learnt about 3 new things I never knew existed before I started this school year.

I am trying to get back to Perth for next year. Currently, I am 140kms away from my football club and that’s impossible for me to train. I also lack motivation to even play. 3 games this season due to injuries/other commitments. Played two games of cricket so far for this season but it’s not the same.

But apart from my immune system not being its best (had glandular fever a fair few years back and really think that knocks you for life) I haven’t got any complaints.

Edited by Toinho

5 hours ago, tlr said:

Physical fitness has gone to shit since I stopped going to the gym (not my choice, there's none where I now live!) but I'm not too bad overall, thankfully I have no underlying conditions or general health problems.

Mental health is shocking. Should probably do something about it.

Is that anxiety, depression or both?

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Is that anxiety, depression or both?

It's certainly not anxiety. I would guess it's a mixture of something like depression and stress. I've let it fester for years now, ironically as it depletes my motivation to go out and do and sort things...

I do sometimes think the mass 'opening up' society has had on mental health is doing more harm than good in some cases. It feels very forced, almost compulsory, like we all must have an experience and be open and honest and lay all our cards on the table absolutely right now - whilst this does lead to many people combating their demons, it runs the risk of exacerbating it in people who don't have that severe a problem, and also making those who feel unable to talk about it even more alone and isolated. 

Edited by tlr
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, tlr said:

It's certainly not anxiety. I would guess it's a mixture of something like depression and stress. I've let it fester for years now, ironically as it depletes my motivation to go out and do and sort things...

I do sometimes think the mass 'opening up' society has had on mental health is doing more harm than good in some cases. It feels very forced, almost compulsory, like we all must have an experience and be open and honest and lay all our cards on the table absolutely right now - whilst this does lead to many people combating their demons, it runs the risk of exacerbating it in people who don't have that severe a problem, and also making those who feel unable to talk about it even more alone and isolated. 

I think you need to go see a doctor mate. I know it's hard to do anything when you are depressed but try and go and see a doctor.

I don't agree with you about society opening up about mental health doing more harm than good. There are some issues with it but I think it does a lot more good than bad.

• Subscriber

Gave my ankle a good rattling playing football on Saturday. Still not got full flexibility back in it so safe to say I'll be giving this weekend a miss. Got that weird bruising around the bottom of my foot even though it doesn't hurt there.

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

This flu jab bit is ok but the only thing is you get slight symptoms of the flu for the first 24hrs, sneezing, headache and coughing plus the left arm has now started to ache where I had the jab.

I'm fine mate and i had it done I think your just getting old mate :D

Although I did once have a flu jab in one arm and a bird flu jab in the other which didn't make me feel great

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ff248e5cee264280866a051720f5e7df.png

Some people 'genetically wired' to avoid some vegetables

Hate eating certain vegetables? It could be down to your genes, say US scientists who have done some new research.

Inheriting two copies of the unpleasant taste gene provides a "ruin-your-day level of bitterness" to foods like broccoli and sprouts, they say.

It could explain why some people find it difficult to include enough vegetables in their diet, they suggest.

The gene may also make beer, coffee and dark chocolate taste unpleasant.

In evolutionary terms, being sensitive to bitter taste may be beneficial - protecting humans from eating things that could be poisonous.

But Dr Jennifer Smith and colleagues from the University of Kentucky School of Medicine say it can also mean some people struggle to eat their recommended five-a-day of fresh fruit and veg.

Everyone inherits two copies of a taste gene called TAS2R38. It encodes for a protein in the taste receptors on the tongue which allows us to taste bitterness.

People who inherit two copies of a variant of the gene TAS2R38, called AVI, are not sensitive to bitter tastes from certain chemicals. Those with one copy of AVI and another called PAV perceive bitter tastes of these chemicals, but not to such an extreme degree as individuals with two copies of PAV, often called "super-tasters", who find the same foods exceptionally bitter.

The scientists studied 175 people and found those with two copies of the bitter taste PAV version of the gene ate only small amounts of leafy green vegetables, which are good for the heart.

Dr Smith told medics at a meeting of the American Heart Association: "You have to consider how things taste if you really want your patient to follow nutrition guidelines."

The researchers hope to explore whether using spices could help mask the bitter taste and make vegetables more appealing for people who are hard-wired to dislike certain varieties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50387126

I had basal cell carcinoma removed with surgery a month ago, basically is a type of skin cancer which has a very low mortality outcome and it is quite a common cancer. The surgery is simple and it lasts around 15 minutes, i will have to check with my dermatologist from time to time just to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I have been hit by a bug the last two days and I feel shite, I think it's s cold and I must have caught it off wee Kaiden, coughing, headache and sweating like a beauty, I rugged myself up with extra jumpers on and I think that has done the trick, don't feel to bad now.   

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

I have been hit by a bug the last two days and I feel shite, I think it's s cold and I must have caught it off wee Kaiden, coughing, headache and sweating like a beauty, I rugged myself up with extra jumpers on and I think that has done the trick, don't feel to bad now.   

Could be manflu :35_thinking: ask @Bluewolf, he knows everything about it xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Am on the final week of the original insanity workout. Is brutal but am glad it's ending. 6 days a week can be a bit much.

On the plus side am in really good shape and super fit. Have shred fat but didn't have much anyway but have lost nearly a stone and a half in 2 months.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Yearly heart checkup with the nurse tomorrow, blood sample, urine sample etc, weight check etc, I know I lost 6ib in weight when I weighed myself last week but still overweight,  I should be around 111/2  stone for my height but I am 131/2  stone atm but I feel ok, all the Christmas goodies and booze put the old weight on lol. 

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Life can be a bastard sometimes, the couple across the corridor when have known for 14 years in Tam & Evalyn, well Evalyne retired 2 years ago, went into hospital to have a gall bladder removed and they found out she has cancer, she has just been told that the cancer is spreading and I don't think she will have long to go, the wife took it badly and broke down as Evaline would always pop into here for a blether and a cup of coffee, Evaline told me should would bloody fight it, I hope to god she does and comes out the winner.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

As per above, Evalyn passed away last night, gutted, so is the wife and because of the lockdown we could not go and visit her in the hospital and now we can't even go to her funeral, life can be a bastard sometimes.

Edit, 17th June:

Just found out from Evalyn's hubby that we can go to her funeral, it's only family and a few friends that can attend as by the coronavirus rules on funerals so we can say a proper good by, God bless her, leaving here shortly for the funeral. 

Edited by CaaC (John)
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator
47 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Is it true that during Covid, there has been an increase in health issues? People starting to suffer from mental health issues and anxiety? 

Nah everyone's loving life and has no worries any more. 

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2019 at 12:57, True Blue said:

I had basal cell carcinoma removed with surgery a month ago, basically is a type of skin cancer which has a very low mortality outcome and it is quite a common cancer. The surgery is simple and it lasts around 15 minutes, i will have to check with my dermatologist from time to time just to be sure.

My mam was confirmed to have this towards the end of last year and had it removed at the beginning of April (after it was cancelled last December due to rising cases of Covid). Her leg was in absolute agony the firstfew weeks, but seem to be fine now.

What was more surprising though is that the doctors missed this for a good 4-5 years. 

• 1 month later...

A friend's dad committed suicide, he was a govt employee and was being bullied by his senior officers into doing something shaddy.

He's not even a close friend but it's the first time I've seen something like this in my circle. Must be very hard for people who are directly related.

• Wow 2
  • Sad 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

A friend's dad committed suicide, he was a govt employee and was being bullied by his senior officers into doing something shaddy.

He's not even a close friend but it's the first time I've seen something like this in my circle. Must be very hard for people who are directly related.

What a bunch of immoral corrupt bastards.