talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Medical & Health issues

football forum

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yep that was my other thought too - I've recently had a cold as well so maybe it's an affect of that too. 

It sounds like it may be a mixture of the two. Does it itch at all?

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It sounds like it may be a mixture of the two. Does it itch at all?

Nah it's just frustrating knowing it's blocked and I can't seem to do anything about it. 

It's mild discomfort very occasionally, not constant. 

On 28/08/2021 at 11:59, Waylander said:

Sounds gruesome.

After the surgery was over were you able to play again?

I've only just noticed this so sorry for the late reply.

I didn't try and play football for about 3 years after, one because it was only amateur Saturday football and I felt it wasn't worth it and two because I was actually scared of anything going wrong again.

The amount of physio involved on getting the leg functioning again was incredible. Eventually I could run but as anyone who's had a similar injury will tell you it's almost like your dragging your leg along with you.

What I did do was get heavily into the weights and the gym, I basically bulked up muscle and rebuilt the strength in my knee with squats etc..

After 3 or 4 years I was asked by my ex manager to play for him on a Saturday, it was a disaster, my mobility had completely gone. I'd bulked up too much and my pace had gone due to the injury. I lasted about 7 games and told him I wasn't feeling it anymore and that I wasn't the same player due to the lack of pace. He actually agreed with me the injury had clearly effected me. Footballers have the best ops the best aftercare, I had a NHS op and a wooden bench for physio.

I play five aside now but given I'm 39 my football days are over anyway so I try and play with my head rather than with speed.

Edited by Devil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Nah it's just frustrating knowing it's blocked and I can't seem to do anything about it. 

It's mild discomfort very occasionally, not constant. 

That still sounds more like an infection to me. You have to have a massive amount of wax for it to feel like that. 

Some of you know (I think), but my Dad was diagnosed with skin cancer a couple of weeks ago. 

Yesterday was his surgery and I went to see him today. Looks like they took off half his nose, but can't really see anything from all the heavy bandage. 

As someone who has been beyond blessed with healthy parents, this has been a wake up call for me this year after seeing my Dad get his ass kicked by COVID back in January and now this. 

But it does appear that they got all the cancer out after 2 attempts, but we'll know more once he recovers a bit more and goes in for his checkup. 

• Wow 1
  • Sad 3

19 hours ago, Devil said:

I've only just noticed this so sorry for the late reply.

I didn't try and play football for about 3 years after, one because it was only amateur Saturday football and I felt it wasn't worth it and two because I was actually scared of anything going wrong again.

The amount of physio involved on getting the leg functioning again was incredible. Eventually I could run but as anyone who's had a similar injury will tell you it's almost like your dragging your leg along with you.

What I did do was get heavily into the weights and the gym, I basically bulked up muscle and rebuilt the strength in my knee with squats etc..

After 3 or 4 years I was asked by my ex manager to play for him on a Saturday, it was a disaster, my mobility had completely gone. I'd bulked up too much and my pace had gone due to the injury. I lasted about 7 games and told him I wasn't feeling it anymore and that I wasn't the same player due to the lack of pace. He actually agreed with me the injury had clearly effected me. Footballers have the best ops the best aftercare, I had a NHS op and a wooden bench for physio.

I emphathise as I had a teenage injury that stopped me playing too. My daughter at 19 was playing soccer and touch rugby at county level.

She twisted her ankle in a local friendly match. My ex insisted their was a great surgeon locally and I counted with try an osteopath first just to see if there is anything they can do through manipulation. I lost that one, she had surgery on the knee not the ankle and two and half years later cannot run, too sore.

She does cycle, and does other exercise like press-ups. She is now working too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Waylander said:

I emphathise as I had a teenage injury that stopped me playing too. My daughter at 19 was playing soccer and touch rugby at county level.

She twisted her ankle in a local friendly match. My ex insisted their was a great surgeon locally and I counted with try an osteopath first just to see if there is anything they can do through manipulation. I lost that one, she had surgery on the knee not the ankle and two and half years later cannot run, too sore.

She does cycle, and does other exercise like press-ups. She is now working too.

Running isn't an issue now but I think I did the correct thing by taking up the gym and building muscle.

Squats, deadlifts and whatever else I could do to build up the strength back in my knee, I kind of rebuilt myself over a 2 year period.

3 hours ago, Devil said:

Running isn't an issue now but I think I did the correct thing by taking up the gym and building muscle.

Squats, deadlifts and whatever else I could do to build up the strength back in my knee, I kind of rebuilt myself over a 2 year period.

Yes my daughter was also told to do strength exercises too. I think she finds it too difficult pain wise. She lives abroad and will probably visit next year and I will ask more about it. 

I did gym work after my injury too though could play a bit with painkillers. Eventually got fed up with taking pain killers and just stuck with strength exercises.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

The NHS can be a fucking joke sometimes, that's the wife just received a letter from the NHS about her flu jab coming up, they only booked her a place 10.6 miles away out of town for the jab that will take her around 40 minutes to get there plus it's at 08.15 in the morning.

Surely they could check out her age on the NHS database and note she is 73 years old with medical problems and live in Leith where there is other facilities around locally that will do the job, I spent all morning and afternoon trying to ring up and get it cancelled but all we got was " Sorry, lines are busy..."

I managed to ring up our local chemist shop who will cater for us both at the end of the month, the pharmacy is a 15-minute walk away from where we live.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 20/09/2021 at 18:09, CaaC (John) said:

The NHS can be a fucking joke sometimes, that's the wife just received a letter from the NHS about her flu jab coming up, they only booked her a place 10.6 miles away out of town for the jab that will take her around 40 minutes to get there plus it's at 08.15 in the morning.

Surely they could check out her age on the NHS database and note she is 73 years old with medical problems and live in Leith where there is other facilities around locally that will do the job, I spent all morning and afternoon trying to ring up and get it cancelled but all we got was " Sorry, lines are busy..."

I managed to ring up our local chemist shop who will cater for us both at the end of the month, the pharmacy is a 15-minute walk away from where we live.

That's the two of us booked for our flu jab on the 13th October at our local pharmacy in the morning as mentioned above a 15-minute walk away from here.

I've got out of bed today. That is some improvement at least. The mental health team want to to change my meds as I'm on the maximum dosage so its clearly  ot working anymore. That at least gives me some hope. No chance of doing any housework today but at least I'm out of bed 

Has anyone ever had some anxiety that led to a panic attack? If so, what did you do to cope with it and how did you settle down after such an attack?

I've been doing research and I'm finding a ton of varying information. 

(It's honestly not for me). 

45 minutes ago, Eco said:

Has anyone ever had some anxiety that led to a panic attack? If so, what did you do to cope with it and how did you settle down after such an attack?

I've been doing research and I'm finding a ton of varying information. 

(It's honestly not for me). 

I've had anxiety but not to the point of panic attacks. I was at a level where I was getting muscle spasms. 

Not sure how to handle panic attacks but I think the most important thing is to figure out what is triggering the anxiety. (work, family, etc)

• Upvote 2