• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester 2-0 Arsenal - Saturday 9th November, 2019

football forum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The catch with Ajax is that ten Haag has probably achieved all he realistically can there, unless he genuinely believes they can win the Champions League.

Arsenal's a poisoned chalice at the minute. They're in no better a position than they were two years ago - if anything even worse. Aubameyang pissing away the peak of his career as it stands. Arsenal needed to rebuild and they've just continued to operate how they did before. Shoddy recruitment.

Rinse and repeat with Arsenal. Get bored of saying the same thing.

Never going to get anywhere with a powderpuff midfield, let alone the defence. No one fears them.

Good on Leicester. 9 ahead of Arsenal, 12 ahead of Spurs and 13 ahead of Man Utd. Absolutely romping to a Champions League place as it stands. That has to be their aim now.

• Subscriber

It has to be the expectation now. To surrender it from here would be piss poor in my opinion - the three other obvious contenders all look really poor. If we are serious about taking ourselves to the next level, then this has to be the expectation as a minimum now. It's started better than anyone could've imagined.

The best thing for us is I feel like we've bounced back from being burnt by failing to capitalise on our strong position in the past - we've corrected our errors and we've changed our strategy and we've done it superbly. The recruitment since last summer has been superb. We've got genuine CL standard players in this side and not just 2 or 3 either.

The best thing as well is we haven't even had that easy a start. We've done this playing only one of the bottom five.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

It has to be the expectation now. To surrender it from here would be piss poor in my opinion - the three other obvious contenders all look really poor. If we are serious about taking ourselves to the next level, then this has to be the expectation as a minimum now. It's started better than anyone could've imagined.

The best thing for us is I feel like we've bounced back from being burnt by failing to capitalise on our strong position in the past - we've corrected our errors and we've changed our strategy and we've done it superbly. The recruitment since last summer has been superb. We've got genuine CL standard players in this side and not just 2 or 3 either.

The best thing as well is we haven't even had that easy a start. We've done this playing only one of the bottom five.

The quality of player you have is what stands out the most, any manager in the league would take your full backs. Would take your striker, would take your midfielders.

I think your team will be looking at the title tbh, you play one game a week, there’s no congestion, there’s no reason why you can do it (obviously you’re heavy underdogs)

8 hours ago, Stan said:

Ajax are a much more stable club at the moment though and the potential of some players they have, and as a team, is much better than Arsenal.

Yes the league is perhaps not as good or competitive as the Premier League but Ajax are playing regular CL football now and that's a big pull. Plus players are committing themselves to Ajax as well (Ziyech, Promes etc) and so hopefully won't be picked off by other clubs.

Yeah I know mate. But I still think managing in the premier League would be attractive to him. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Danny said:

The quality of player you have is what stands out the most, any manager in the league would take your full backs. Would take your striker, would take your midfielders.

I think your team will be looking at the title tbh, you play one game a week, there’s no congestion, there’s no reason why you can do it (obviously you’re heavy underdogs)

I agree. Ultmately just keep focusing on getting the wins and everything else looks after itself. We've won 6 of our last 7 with the one failure away at Liverpool - quite possibly the toughest fixture in world football at the minute, with our next five all looking very winnable too. We're now 2nd and I think could well go into Christmas still there - it's the double header around then of Man City and Liverpool that could make or break things.

Top 4 looks pretty much done to be honest bar one of us or Chelsea completely collapsing - but I actually think the 4th to 5th gap will probably grow a bit yet.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dan said:

I agree. Ultmately just keep focusing on getting the wins and everything else looks after itself. We've won 6 of our last 7 with the one failure away at Liverpool - quite possibly the toughest fixture in world football at the minute, with our next five all looking very winnable too. We're now 2nd and I think could well go into Christmas still there - it's the double header around then of Man City and Liverpool that could make or break things.

Top 4 looks pretty much done to be honest bar one of us or Chelsea completely collapsing - but I actually think the 4th to 5th gap will probably grow a bit yet.

Out of curiosity and since you'd know better than most, what's your record with international break injuries? It seems like once upon a time it was players having to go play national tournaments that caused swings in the way teams operated in the busy period (Xmas - around mid Jan) but these days it comes as the expense of players going to play for their national teams.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Out of curiosity and since you'd know better than most, what's your record with international break injuries? It seems like once upon a time it was players having to go play national tournaments that caused swings in the way teams operated in the busy period (Xmas - around mid Jan) but these days it comes as the expense of players going to play for their national teams.

Without wanting to jinx it, as a general rule, we seem to have a really good record with injuries. It's been held against us in the past xD

It's a big boost that Vardy doesn't play internationally now. I'm glad we're vindicating his decision to pack England in - would've been a huge shame in my opinion for him to give that up for us to be an also-ran.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dan said:

Without wanting to jinx it, as a general rule, we seem to have a really good record with injuries. It's been held against us in the past xD

It's a big boost that Vardy doesn't play internationally now. I'm glad we're vindicating his decision to pack England in - would've been a huge shame in my opinion for him to give that up for us to be an also-ran.

I personally hope you continue your run and when you hit the double header in December you give yourself more daylight between yourselves and City. Then we can come visit you and take the drubbing we will get over there because I genuinely think we'll drop points to you'll considering the form you're in.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I personally hope you continue your run and when you hit the double header in December you give yourself more daylight between yourselves and City. Then we can come visit you and take the drubbing we will get over there because I genuinely think we'll drop points to you'll considering the form you're in.

I think it's quite plausible that we go into that Man City game ahead of them in the table. They've got a lot of tricky games between then. We've got home games with Everton, Watford and Norwich, and trips to Brighton and Aston Villa.

I think the timing of you coming here could help us massively to be honest.

• The topic was unpinned
11 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Drubbing? Weve lost 1 game in 50. We haven't lost a league game in 18 months. We might drop points but us getting a drubbing is proper stretching it mate.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Drubbing? Weve lost 1 game in 50. We haven't lost a league game in 18 months. We might drop points but us getting a drubbing is proper stretching it mate.

I say that because it comes after the congestion period. Maybe drubbing is the wrong word but I think we will lose there and won't win. 

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I say that because it comes after the congestion period. Maybe drubbing is the wrong word but I think we will lose there and won't win. 

Leicester are a good team and are capable of beating any team on their day. I'd take a draw and that's what I think it will be.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Leicester are a good team and are capable of beating any team on their day. I'd take a draw and that's what I think it will be.

In some ways we might be lucky that they are playing City the week before us and you're right they can beat anyone on their day. I still don't think we will win there but if someone gave me draw as the result I'd take it.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

In some ways we might be lucky that they are playing City the week before us and you're right they can beat anyone on their day. I still don't think we will win there but if someone gave me draw as the result I'd take it.

So no drubbing then? xD

Sorry, but as good as Leicester have been (and you have been brilliant) I would absolutely NOT take a point against them. We just beat City 3-1. We are top of the league by 8 points after 12 games. We are champions of Europe. We can, and have shown plenty that we are an elite team who can beat anybody. Going into any game with that mentality just doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Sorry, but as good as Leicester have been (and you have been brilliant) I would absolutely NOT take a point against them. We just beat City 3-1. We are top of the league by 8 points after 12 games. We are champions of Europe. We can, and have shown plenty that we are an elite team who can beat anybody. Going into any game with that mentality just doesn’t make sense to me. 

Think you should go in to thinking like that :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

That game is still well over a month away. A lot can change in that time. A draw might be absolutely fine at that stage or it might be must win

Yeah it’s a long season but for some reason some people are talking about things like there’s 5 matches left.

Calm down everyone we’ve still got most of the season to go 

• Subscriber

I agree you shouldn't be happy with a draw. I'm the same about our games coming up and I think our next five are all winnable. Why settle for a point at Brighton? We are a better team, we can beat them.

Draws killed you last year. Remember that.

Archived