• KFC
    • McDonalds
    • Subway
    • Wimpy
    • Other (Please Specify)

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Tough choice.

McDonald's currently leading, and I can't remember having a 'bad' McDonald's.

Burger King kind of somehow tastes like someone's home made 'McDonald's' . And I'm never sure if that's good or bad.

A really good proper fish & chips is tough to beat, but it is increasingly difficult to get really good & so I am often left disappointed, though still more full than after a McDonald's.

Chinese sweet & sour batter balls are amazing when good. But even chicken can somehow go wrong. And I never even contemplate the pork or prawn option.

I can eat a curry now & then, but personally tends to be 1 I just go along with if others are calling for it.

I tried Subway once, for a lunch. Had a stale roll. Never been back since.

Dominoes pizza can be indulgent.

But I think I'd have vote Other.. for a good fish & chips, or a good Chinese chicken batter balls.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pizza Hut in the UK is a million times better than Pizza Hut in the US. Why?

Quality of ingredients, out-dated business model, etc etc. Also, could just be the water for which I remembered a great video on YT explaining how the crust completely changes and the flavor profile too but I can't find it anymore. 

15 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Quality of ingredients, out-dated business model, etc etc. Also, could just be the water for which I remembered a great video on YT explaining how the crust completely changes and the flavor profile too but I can't find it anymore. 

Yeah, one of the Pizza Hut's near me shut some time ago. Never remember it being particularly busy there when I went. 

There's another one down the road from where that one was in a retail park and judging by what it was like and the amount of people in there, I can't see that one lasting much longer either.

On 14/06/2022 at 19:59, Dr. Gonzo said:

Almost all our fast-food chains are. Better ingredients and better workers.

I tried them all in the US while I was in Orlando, and they were all shockingly bad. Chipotle is the only good one I tried. In the US it also seemed like the workers would rather be anywhere else on the planet than serve you which probably goes for the people cooking the food too. 

10 minutes ago, Rab said:

Almost all our fast-food chains are. Better ingredients and better workers.

I tried them all in the US while I was in Orlando, and they were all shockingly bad. Chipotle is the only good one I tried. In the US it also seemed like the workers would rather be anywhere else on the planet than serve you which probably goes for the people cooking the food too. 

Interesting, I think Chipotle's dogshit. I feel like if you're in a state like Florida, you can probably get better fast Mexican food at some random local hole in the wall store than a Chipotle.

I haven't had McDonalds or BurgerKing in probably over 10 years, so I've only had the UK sort and not had the US equivalents so I can't really compare them. But it's McDonalds or Burger King, so I assume it's dogshit. Never had some of their other big brand fast food chains either.

So I guess the only thing I can really compare US fast foods with is Subway (tastes literally the exact same, pretty much anywhere in the world I've ever had it), Dominos (UK dominos is shit in comparison to the US one tbh), Papa Johns (shit in the US, shit in the UK, imo), and Pizza Hut (UK versions are infinitely better than the American ones).

Best fast-food burger I've ever had though is in the US: In-N-Out, miles higher quality than any burger from any fast food place I've ever had anywhere in the world.

I've only had KFC in the UK & in China... and China's KFC was insanely fucking good... and I can't imagine they've got better ingredients than us. But probably the best fast food workers I've ever experienced.

Also, yeah I'm sure fast food workers in the US (those cooking and those taking orders) would literally rather be doing anything else than working there. They get a higher minimum wage than they would in the UK, but generally speaking the way they're treated by management is significantly worse than the UK. For a lot of them it's their second job that they're only working at because it's the only way for them to get affordable and decent healthcare.

47 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Interesting, I think Chipotle's dogshit. I feel like if you're in a state like Florida, you can probably get better fast Mexican food at some random local hole in the wall store than a Chipotle.

I haven't had McDonalds or BurgerKing in probably over 10 years, so I've only had the UK sort and not had the US equivalents so I can't really compare them. But it's McDonalds or Burger King, so I assume it's dogshit. Never had some of their other big brand fast food chains either.

So I guess the only thing I can really compare US fast foods with is Subway (tastes literally the exact same, pretty much anywhere in the world I've ever had it), Dominos (UK dominos is shit in comparison to the US one tbh), Papa Johns (shit in the US, shit in the UK, imo), and Pizza Hut (UK versions are infinitely better than the American ones).

Best fast-food burger I've ever had though is in the US: In-N-Out, miles higher quality than any burger from any fast food place I've ever had anywhere in the world.

I've only had KFC in the UK & in China... and China's KFC was insanely fucking good... and I can't imagine they've got better ingredients than us. But probably the best fast food workers I've ever experienced.

Also, yeah I'm sure fast food workers in the US (those cooking and those taking orders) would literally rather be doing anything else than working there. They get a higher minimum wage than they would in the UK, but generally speaking the way they're treated by management is significantly worse than the UK. For a lot of them it's their second job that they're only working at because it's the only way for them to get affordable and decent healthcare.

I guess because I had nothing to reference Chipotle off of is the reason I liked it so much. Although even the workers in Chipotle were bellends. It was my first time there and wasn't 100% sure of the process and could literally see them rolling their eyeballs over how long I was taking (which wasn't even that long).

Mexican food in the UK isn't the greatest but we're slowly getting more and more independent places so it is improving.

14 minutes ago, Rab said:

I guess because I had nothing to reference Chipotle off of is the reason I liked it so much. Although even the workers in Chipotle were bellends. It was my first time there and wasn't 100% sure of the process and could literally see them rolling their eyeballs over how long I was taking (which wasn't even that long).

Mexican food in the UK isn't the greatest but we're slowly getting more and more independent places so it is improving.

Being right by the border of Mexico has spoiled me with Mexican food that I can't even eat the shite they sell just a couple hours north, so I dunno if I'd want to try Mexican food in the UK. I'd never had it before I moved here - then I had it a few times in places north of here and it was always dogshit by comparison (dunno why because there's Mexicans all over the US).

38 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Being right by the border of Mexico has spoiled me with Mexican food that I can't even eat the shite they sell just a couple hours north, so I dunno if I'd want to try Mexican food in the UK. I'd never had it before I moved here - then I had it a few times in places north of here and it was always dogshit by comparison (dunno why because there's Mexicans all over the US).

I'm going to do a road trip of Route 66 at some point and fully plan on doing a big boy detour for some nice Mexican food.

• Subscriber
On 16/06/2022 at 02:27, Dr. Gonzo said:

Friends of mine who are Mexican are also perplexed by this and its not because there isn't a lack of quality ingredient either. When I was out in Florida I went to a local Mexican place and I was told it was horrible. Didn't get it till I went to Mexico and that was a whole different food experience all together. 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Surprised by that, as I don't think they're that great here.

It's horrible here too. The one place I did find Pizza Hut actually good was the UAE, imo its all hit and miss.

On 14/06/2022 at 13:59, Dr. Gonzo said:

Because you are used to the former and the latter is different so you don't like it.

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

Because you are used to the former and the latter is different so you don't like it.

If that were the case I probably wouldn't have liked China's KFC which was way different to the UK's but... infinitely better.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If that were the case I probably wouldn't have liked China's KFC which was way different to the UK's but... infinitely better.

You said way different, so you can reconcile that it is different, compared to US/UK Pizza Hut, where you said you don't know why one is better than the other.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

You said way different, so you can reconcile that it is different, compared to US/UK Pizza Hut, where you said you don't know why one is better than the other.

Well with Pizza Hut in the UK the cheese actually tastes like cheese, so that's one big difference. Why doesn't it in the US? Is it not real cheese - like how McDonalds wasn't selling people real chicken for a very long time?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well with Pizza Hut in the UK the cheese actually tastes like cheese, so that's one big difference. Why doesn't it in the US? Is it not real cheese - like how McDonalds wasn't selling people real chicken for a very long time?

I don't believe any of that, you are just picky.

Archived