talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 3-1 Man City - Sunday 10th November, 2019

football forum

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Who in here has said sign on or anything even close to that?

You've taken your own Liverpool bias (legitimate bias, you live there) and tried to use that against everyone else. Find me a string of posts of mine slagging Liverpool off. It's all in your own head.

Completely agree. 

I've been quite complementary to Liverpool this season and they deserve the credit they receive, good luck to them.

But it felt very much like you couldn't be honest yesterday and call a spade a spade simply because some feel there was a hidden agenda 'as it was Liverpool'. It wasn't just @The Artful Dodger either, he was just the most vocal about it.

I'm Leeds, I'm used to clubs of other fans wanting more bad for us than good, so if anything I would empathise with Liverpool but conversely, the whole chip on the shoulder accusation won't wash with me. I couldn't give a monkeys.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not sure I'm allowed to agree with it though as I'm from the south and not allowed to like anything northern-based. Might need to check with a fellow member on here what I can and can't think. 

Yeah nah. You lot won't be happy until the working class club's in the North have been been shut down and all their players sent to the Gulag! 🤯

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Completely agree. 

I've been quite complementary to Liverpool this season and they deserve the credit they receive but it felt very much like you couldn't be honest yesterday and call a spade a spade simply because some feel there was a hidden agenda 'because it was Liverpool'. It wasn't just @The Artful Dodger either, he was just the most vocal about it.

I'm Leeds, I'm used to clubs of other fans wanting more bad for us than good, so if anything I would empathise with Liverpool but conversely, the whole chip on the shoulder accusation won't wash with me and I won't be accused of it either.

I think it was more that some commented inferring there was a deliberate effort to help Liverpool with that decision saying this game was bent and the like which provoked a defensive reaction.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's not just a Liverpool FC thing, Everton get the same treatment. Similar incident last week with the Alli handball, not a mention from the London/Manc media. Their player gets his leg snapped and all the articles are about how sad it is for Son. Farce.

And the London/Manc media means full representation on here?

You come across brainwashed by media meaning you can't see anything but that when you come on here. Boring as fuck. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

And the London/Manc media means full representation on here?

You come across brainwashed by media meaning you can't see anything but that when you come on here. Boring as fuck.  

Sorry, if I say what I see. People on here were claiming, ridiculously, that the league is corrupted towards Liverpool. It was the same last year, it was all about how lucky Liverpool were, diving Salah etc. Manchester City's 1-0 win against West Ham was the result of a clear dive and those points won them the league...never hear people mention it. Just want consistency that is all but I know, I will never get it. So in a perverse way you are right, why waste time trying to convince people too blind to see.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I upset you but it's far more interesting than the usual 'that was a good goal' 'Yes, it was a great goal wasn't it' exchanges you get on here. Or talking about what your favourite colour is.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Sorry, if I say what I see. People on here were claiming, ridiculously, that the league is corrupted towards Liverpool. It was the same last year, it was all about how lucky Liverpool were, diving Salah etc. Manchester City's 1-0 win against West Ham was the result of a clear dive and those points won them the league...never hear people mention it. Just want consistency that is all but I know, I will never get it. So in a perverse way you are right, why waste time trying to convince people too blind to see.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I upset you but it's far more interesting than the usual 'that was a good goal' 'Yes, it was a great goal wasn't it' exchanges you get on here. Or talking about what your favourite colour is.

But it goes beyond just saying what you see. Even when Liverpool get complimented, praised, admired etc that just seems to go straight over your head. All you see is the negative stuff in the media and it's as if its all you see here as a result.

You claim there's a 100% negative agenda against Liverpool when that's clearly not the case. You just have selective reading. Then you bring all the politics shite in here - 'you must have voted for Brexit'...'Tory England (Anywhere outside of Liverpool)'. It's a load of shite to read constantly when you have nothing better to say. 

I'll use my own post as an example which appeared to not be noticed by you, by the way...

13 hours ago, Stan said:

Not seen the games, goals or highlights but congratulations on your title Liverpool. No one is stopping this side and no side is better in the league or Europe. Klopp has you playing like a well-oiled machine and I just cannot see where you give up a 9 point lead now. Even with your fixture congestion it's too much for any side to overcome. 

This is probably the greatest Liverpool side I've seen in my lifetime. 

To all the Liverpool fans on here - enjoy the season. Embrace these good times! 

12 hours ago, Inverted said:

I just don't understand what was controversial at all in this game? 

The ref played advantage from the Silva handball, which then couldn't be pulled back to a pen, since handballs in attacking build-up are treated with total strictness. No goal can occur with a handball in the build up - Silva flicked the ball with his hand onto TAA's hand.

Reminds me of this situation:

Except back then it worked and Müller wasn't allowed to play the final. 

12 hours ago, Inverted said:

It would be completely against the spirit of the rules for a penalty and then a goal to result from that. I'm not even sure in the strictest sense how it would work, but from a common-sense interpretation it seems like a perfectly fitting way to handle the situation. The only reason a huge fuss has resulted is that Fabinho then scored the way he did. 

Salah was unambiguously onside. If he was off they would have easily reviewed it and struck-off the goal. 

At which stage did Liverpool get any insane luck with decisions? It seems like a huge argument has erupted without any actual basis for claiming Liverpool were particularly lucky decisions-wise. 

They certainly weren't more lucky today than they were unlucky against Villa. But there seems to be this media narrative where Liverpool are lucky or are sneaky, and people end up going out of their minds over fairly mundane situations. 

What about Liverpool's 2nd handball. I don't know the PL's current rules. Is every handball, where the culprit increases the effective cross section of his body with his arms, deemed an intentional handball?

I guess Citizens are simply used to getting soft penalties.

The handball definitely needs looking at. For what it's worth, I actually think Bernado Silva's 'handball' is completely accidental and natural, TAA's is more arguable. However, the rule currently states that Silva's should be treated as much as handball as picking up and running with the ball into the net. It's ridiculous and needs to be changed.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Completely agree. 

I've been quite complementary to Liverpool this season and they deserve the credit they receive, good luck to them.

But it felt very much like you couldn't be honest yesterday and call a spade a spade simply because some feel there was a hidden agenda 'as it was Liverpool'. It wasn't just @The Artful Dodger either, he was just the most vocal about it.

I'm Leeds, I'm used to clubs of other fans wanting more bad for us than good, so if anything I would empathise with Liverpool but conversely, the whole chip on the shoulder accusation won't wash with me. I couldn't give a monkeys.

I was one of those who was quite vocal yesterday. The reason for it was that people were seemingly overlooking the fact that Silva handballed it first. In full speed it’s so quick from one arm to another, but the replays clearly show that it happened. Now if we are following the new rules then both incidents would have been flagged up by VAR. But for whatever reason they weren’t, maybe because there were so many other passages of play that led to our goal that it would have been incredibly harsh to say that we had been given a massive advantage by not awarding US the free kick. 

It did come across as people saying that the officials were favouring us, you only have to look at the posts just after by a few that are implying that. 

Even if Silva’s is an accidental handball, isn’t the rule different for attackers - where hand position isn’t accounted for? And can VAR give free kicks? I’m pretty sure it can’t.

Either way, don’t care. We won and if that upsets some people, that’s their problem

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Even if Silva’s is an accidental handball, isn’t the rule different for attackers - where hand position isn’t accounted for? And can VAR give free kicks? I’m pretty sure it can’t.

I thought that if there’s a foul by an attacker in the lead up to a goal being scored, it cancels the goal and gives a free kick?

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

I thought that if there’s a foul by an attacker in the lead up to a goal being scored, it cancels the goal and gives a free kick?

Can VAR give a free kick though? The VAR info pages on FIFA and the EPL websites don’t seem to indicate that the video ref can give a free kick in instances like this - there’s no explicit mention of free kicks.

Probably another flaw in the way VAR is being implemented though

• Administrator

Of course VAR can give free-kicks especially if it's deemed that there's a foul by an attacking player in the lead up to a goal or if an attacking player handles the ball and then a goal is scored (Willy Boly against us, first day of the season). 

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Of course VAR can give free-kicks especially if it's deemed that there's a foul by an attacking player in the lead up to a goal or if an attacking player handles the ball and then a goal is scored (Willy Boly against us, first day of the season). 

I think according to the rules of VAR they’re not supposed to though.

Anyways, remember when Pep was complaining about Mane’s diving. Did anyone catch this shocking dive in the match yesterday:

52wy29bbqwx31.jpg

46 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Can VAR give a free kick though? The VAR info pages on FIFA and the EPL websites don’t seem to indicate that the video ref can give a free kick in instances like this - there’s no explicit mention of free kicks.

Probably another flaw in the way VAR is being implemented though

Wasn’t that the argument in the Utd/Liverpool thread though? That Origi was fouled by Lindelof in the build up before United's goal? Sure VAR looked at the challenge before giving the goal O.o

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's not just a Liverpool FC thing, Everton get the same treatment. Similar incident last week with the Alli handball, not a mention from the London/Manc media. Their player gets his leg snapped and all the articles are about how sad it is for Son. Farce.

While I can't argue with this one I do think it's hard to put the two things under the same umbrella.

Liverpool are generally not liked by fans of other clubs. This is passed down from the generation above ours who saw Liverpool winning everything in the 80s and grew to dislike or hate them. I think Man Utd get similar treatment from fans to be honest for the same reason, our generation grew up with them dominating so these two clubs are the most hated across the country by neutrals who don't have a particular rivalry with either. A lot of people don't like Chelsea either and I imagine you'll start seeing the same with Man City eventually too. Look across Europe and you'll see that PSG, Juventus, Bayern ard the most hated clubs in their country by fans as well.

As for the media, yeah I think Everton get a raw deal off them frequently and that they're always peddling some lazy narrative about us and our spending in scenarios where some actual analysis on their part would tell a different story, but I think that's just laziness rather than an anti-Scouse thing. The analysis of any clubs outside the top six tends to be absolutely terrible and inaccurate because sadly the masses have been fed the stars in their eyes gloryhunter diet of only the big teams mattering and nobody really gives a shit about the rest of the league anymore as a result. If anything there's more of a pro-London thing as West Ham, Arsenal and Spurs sometimes get a disproportionate amount of coverage in my eyes but I'm struggling to see what you're seeing.

I certainly dont think Liverpool are given a rough ride by the media. The British football media is dominated, and I mean dominated, by ex-Liverpool players, and they constantly get talked about as arguably the best team in Europe, their players get talked about in glowing terms all the time as well and Klopp is the very definition of a media darling. A lot of neutral fans cried a lot last season about Salah diving, and them getting lucky with late winners and all that stuff but there was barely any of that in the media, they would have loved Liverpool to win the league. They love Liverpool in general, they love the magical Anfield nights narrative and they love observing their two minutes silence before the game while they hold a vigil to the Kop end singing You'll Never Walk Alone which they don't do for any other club in the country. I really struggle to see how anyone can look at it objectively and think the media are biased against Liverpool. Fans on here but moreso on Twitter are a totally different story of course.

Archived