talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aaron Lennon Back in Training After Seeking Help For Mental Health Illness

England international Aaron Lennon was detained under the Mental Health Act after concerns for his welfare.

The 30-year-old, who has not played for Everton since February 11, was negotiated with by police officers for 20 minutes on Sunday afternoon.

Officers were called to a location in Salford, Greater Manchester, following concerns over his state of mind. Tracksuited Lennon was at the side of a busy thoroughfare close to the M602 motorway and officers believed he was in a precarious situation.

The player, capped 21 times by England, was a £4million signing for Everton from Tottenham in 2015.

Officers stopped the Leeds-born winger on Stott Lane, close to Salford Royal Hospital.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: ‘Police were called at around 4.35pm on Sunday, April 30, 2017 to reports of a concern for the welfare of a man. Officers attended and a 30-year-old man was detained under Section 136 of the Mental Health Act and was taken to hospital for assessment.’

On Tuesday Everton issued a statement which said: ‘Aaron Lennon is currently receiving care and treatment for a stress-related illness. The club is supporting him through this and his family has appealed for privacy at this time.’

In an update on Lennon’s availability on April 4 ahead of their match with Manchester United, Everton manager Ronald Koeman said: ‘He is not in a physical way to be part of the team.’

Source (Daily Mail in case any of you don't want to give them ad revenue.) 

Hope he turns out alright and gets the help he needs. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

That is quite sad, but it is also worrying that it can get out to the press. It should be Lennon's choice. He should have the right to privacy, particularly where sensitive information is concerned.

Agree with this. I wish him all the best and hope he can get all the support and help he needs to get back to a normal state of mind... but also why the fuck is this out in the media.

It would be awful if he returns back to football and moron fans start hurling abuse at him for this being public knowledge now.

Heartbreaking to hear this. 

I know the club will be doing everything they can to help and support him. Hopefully, this can help with some of the stigma, but I sure hope the media respect his privacy. Wouldn't count on it though...

Very sad, always a shame to read people are going through this.

I'm sure everyone will be rallying around him and hopefully he'll make a full recovery and be back out on the pitch soon.

• Subscriber

Sad to see what leads some people to get into bad situations. I hope he gets better and gets back on the pitch which is where he wants to be. How has he performed for Everton this season considering he hasn't had much game time?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Signing for Everton is enough to depress anybody :ph34r:

Seriously though, hope he recovers. 

I was thinking that, to go from a club like Tottenham and a city like London to Everton and Liverpool must be really hard to take.

Absolutely gutted about this news. Love Aaron, proper Spurs player and gave his heart and soul for the club in his 10 years here. There were lots of rumours of his troubles at the end of his Spurs career, but it seems like he has been fighting demons for a while. Hopefully he can get all the help he needs and get back to a place mentally he needs to be. As others have said, I just wish this hadn't come out in the press. I'd be surprised if he played again.

• Administrator

Said in the Everton thread that it's bad that he's got to this stage but also very good that he was seen and caught before anythng even more terrible happened.

Regardless, never nice to hear especially if you've lost someone to mental health so I wish him all the best. 

I think the comment was in jest. Nicholas likes Lennon.

It's a real shame, I hate stuff like this but it serves to show players are human and money and footballer lifestyle doesn't stop someone being in a bad place. It's a tricky one as far as press goes, it could raise awareness and help others (other players or just anyone) who may be hiding such issues, but its probably not very nice for him himself.

I agree he won't play again.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Sad to see what leads some people to get into bad situations. I hope he gets better and gets back on the pitch which is where he wants to be. How has he performed for Everton this season considering he hasn't had much game time?

Same as normal, I'd say. Not played since Feb though. 

I'm not sure he will be back playing professional football but I hope he uses the support that the club will provide for them. 

Agree on the headlines as well, was always going to happen, sadly. Some people just can't help themselves. Same as the two comments in here. In jest though, of course, so doesn't matter... 

46 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Same as normal, I'd say. Not played since Feb though. 

I'm not sure he will be back playing professional football but I hope he uses the support that the club will provide for them. 

Agree on the headlines as well, was always going to happen, sadly. Some people just can't help themselves. Same as the two comments in here. In jest though, of course, so doesn't matter... 

I remember you taking the piss when Mane suffered a season ending knee injury!

Was in jest of course though, so doesn't matter :whistling:

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I remember you taking the piss when Mane suffered a season ending knee injury!

Was in jest of course though, so doesn't matter :whistling:

Aye because that's the same. 

Nice of you to deflect, though. Just say anything as long as it's got the ninja emoji after it, is that how it works?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

To be honest I didn't mind the comment from MadLad as it was obviously friendly banter, what was out of line was Storts using Aaron Lennon's mental health as an excuse to rim London.

xD 'out of line'

Assumed you were on the wum.

In all seriousness on that point though, and speculation is not necessarily to be encouraged as any number of factors could be in play here, but leaving an area you've been for 10 years, with the same people around you, to somewhere completely new must be difficult. Don't think enough is made in football of the stress of relocating and the affect that could have.

1 minute ago, HK85 said:

Aye because that's the same. 

Nice of you to deflect, though. Just say anything as long as it's got the ninja emoji after it, is that how it works?

Oh give your head a wobble. Don't come the hollier than thou when you take the piss out of other people's injuries. 

Cannabis took my comment in the spirit it was meant so that's good enough for me. 

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Oh give your head a wobble. Don't come the hollier than thou when you take the piss out of other people's injuries. 

Cannabis took my comment in the spirit it was meant so that's good enough for me. 

A football injury is not the same as a mental health disorder, fella. You're not that stupid are you?

You're using mental health as a source of a joke against a football club, the only person who needs to give their head a wobble is you. 

1 minute ago, HK85 said:

A football injury is not the same as a mental health disorder, fella. You're not that stupid are you?

You're using mental health as a source of a joke against a football club, the only person who needs to give their head a wobble is you. 

Really? You are really going to make a big issue out of my comment? 

I can assure you it was made with absolutely no malice. If you want to let it get to you however then crack on kid. 

• Subscriber

A big shame but I imagine most people would be vulnerable to mental health issues in a career where you're constantly under very harsh scrutiny by the media and fans who are sometimes incapable of realising that footballers are actually people too regardless of how much they get paid.

I know the jokes are only meant as banter but to be fair you've got to be careful with a subject like this because you don't know who is affected by mental health or who has family members affected by it and it's understandable that you could be sensitive about it when people make light of it as a joke, because there are too many people out there (and I'm not saying this applies to anyone in this thread) who make light of mental health problems and genuinely think they're right. 

7 minutes ago, adziom said:

A big shame but I imagine most people would be vulnerable to mental health issues in a career where you're constantly under very harsh scrutiny by the media and fans who are sometimes incapable of realising that footballers are actually people too regardless of how much they get paid.

I know the jokes are only meant as banter but to be fair you've got to be careful with a subject like this because you don't know who is affected by mental health or who has family members affected by it and it's understandable that you could be sensitive about it when people make light of it as a joke, because there are too many people out there (and I'm not saying this applies to anyone in this thread) who make light of mental health problems and genuinely think they're right. 

I say this in all honesty mate, I meant absolutely nothing with my comments. My daughter is 19 in 6 weeks and has been on anti-depressants for about 18 months (against my wishes). 

Wish I'd never made the comment now :|

• The title was changed to Aaron Lennon Back in Training After Seeking Help For Mental Health Illness

Archived