Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

What is the first big news story you remember?

Mine would be the reading about the Titanic going down and then war breaking out a couple of years after that... 

• Haha 3

9/11 here too. Remember it primarily as they cancelled all the kids TV that evening and I was devastated. Obviously I didn't quite grasp what had happened!

Also got faint memories of the Queen Mother passing - Saturday afternoon I think? Remember the usual football coverage was on at the time.

Princess Diana dying. Then probably 9/11.

The fall of the Berlin wall.

56 minutes ago, Reecejackox said:

It is between three

9/11

Queen's mother death

England beating Germany 5-1

Why them 3? there are many more

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Princess Diana dying. Then probably 9/11.

Aye, Princess Diana dying, I am not a Royalist in a million years but my wife loved looking and following Princess Diana and before and when she died the wife cried a few tears and so did I, especially when Sir Elton John sang his revised version of Marillion Monroe's version of Candle in the Wind at the funeral.

I remember being really interested in the Barcelona Olympics and the lighting of the flame via bow and arrow.

Sydney winning the bid to host the Olympics the next year also stands out.

Michael Jackson news stories.

Not too many others from my primary school days.

5 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Probably the gulf war.

Same here. I was there when it started and all I remember was countless hours of CNN news and having to live around there and hearing all kinds of weird things everyday.

Think 9/11 as well, i was in elementary school back then. Came home to see my family watching it live on TV.

On 09/11/2019 at 21:01, Bluewolf said:

Mine would be the reading about the Titanic going down and then war breaking out a couple of years after that... 

If we put yours and @CaaC (John) age together we you might be able to remember the invention of the wheel :D

Tbh I don't really remember 9/11, I was 5. I think I can vaguely remember my parents talking about it after school one day. 

I can remember 7/7 though, though I'm not sure if the memories kind of fuse together in my mind. 

I vaguely remember Princess Diana's death being reported. After that it was 9/11. The first big one that I remember taking an interest in and actually watching a lot of coverage of was the 7/7 bombings in London.