The better place to talk football.

England 7-0 Montenegro - Thursday 14th November, 2019

football forum

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Stan said:

IMG_20191112_074232.jpg

Apparently he’s given Gomez a scratch under the eye (wow Raheem, way to fight like a man :clown:) - and he instigated the scrap and was very close to being sent home from international duty. Now he’s saying to move on, like he didn’t instigate it.

Says a lot about his character tbh, and he’s already given plenty of reason to point to his character being utter shite.

Shows a big difference between the Spurs lads in the England squad, who a few days after the CL final had to be in the same squad as Liverpool players and they didn’t have petty scraps over their disappointment. Meanwhile Sterling loses a league game and he can’t stand the indignity of playing on the same side as a 22 year old who made a 5 min cameo in that match.

His PR team was doing such a good job making it look like he’d grown up too, bet they’re irritated with him

• Subscriber

To be honest this is a bit pathetic. It never used to stop Spain winning things and their team was split between one of the most intense rivalries going. This shouldn't have gotten out.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

To be honest this is a bit pathetic. It never used to stop Spain winning things and their team was split between one of the most intense rivalries going. This shouldn't have gotten out.

Tbf it was mostly the Barca side with David Villa & Fernando Torres, then Casillas and Ramos at the back.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently he’s given Gomez a scratch under the eye (wow Raheem, way to fight like a man :clown:) - and he instigated the scrap and was very close to being sent home from international duty. Now he’s saying to move on, like he didn’t instigate it.

Says a lot about his character tbh, and he’s already given plenty of reason to point to his character being utter shite.

Shows a big difference between the Spurs lads in the England squad, who a few days after the CL final had to be in the same squad as Liverpool players and they didn’t have petty scraps over their disappointment. Meanwhile Sterling loses a league game and he can’t stand the indignity of playing on the same side as a 22 year old who made a 5 min cameo in that match.

His PR team was doing such a good job making it look like he’d grown up too, bet they’re irritated with him

Really? 

So he instigated the scrap but can't say that both have agreed to move on? Why can't we give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that shortly after the incident they were both man enough to put it behind them. Even the rest of the team were apparently 'pleading' not to send him home.

Like Sterling says, let's not make it a bigger thing that it actually is. This incident to me doesn't show he's not grown up. Other England players have done far worse stuff than just front up to a player shortly after a loss. 

He was perhaps a dick acting on his emotion and obviously, to me, regrets it hence the quick apology. As @Dan said it shouldn't have got out in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Really? 

So he instigated the scrap but can't say that both have agreed to move on? Why can't we give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that shortly after the incident they were both man enough to put it behind them. Even the rest of the team were apparently 'pleading' not to send him home.

Like Sterling says, let's not make it a bigger thing that it actually is. This incident to me doesn't show he's not grown up. Other England players have done far worse stuff than just front up to a player shortly after a loss. 

He was perhaps a dick acting on his emotion and obviously, to me, regrets it hence the quick apology. As @Dan said it shouldn't have got out in the first place.

If Southgate wouldn't have come out with it, it would have been leaked by the press and the tabloids would have had a field day. He had to get in front of this, imo, the British sports media will get their leaks and if they give their version of events it'll be less factual and more drama.

Apparently Gomez was a big reason why Southgate didn't send the little shit home. Personally, I think that's a mistake from Gomez and Southgate. Sterling's little PR statement doesn't show me he's grown up at all - he's started a scrap because he was pissed off about losing over the weekend. His behavior in that match was pretty appalling considering he's a grown man, but I've seen football players do worse so I didn't think too much of it... until I heard about this incident.

Southgate should have sent him home - we don't need him for these matches and he should learn that actions have consequences. In my job, and in most other jobs, you start a physical confrontation with one of your coworkers and you're sacked in a second. He's getting so much leeway for being one of England's golden boys and I'm not sure missing a match against Montenegro is really going to teach him anything about what he did being wrong.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If Southgate wouldn't have come out with it, it would have been leaked by the press and the tabloids would have had a field day. He had to get in front of this, imo, the British sports media will get their leaks and if they give their version of events it'll be less factual and more drama.

Apparently Gomez was a big reason why Southgate didn't send the little shit home. Personally, I think that's a mistake from Gomez and Southgate. Sterling's little PR statement doesn't show me he's grown up at all - he's started a scrap because he was pissed off about losing over the weekend. His behavior in that match was pretty appalling considering he's a grown man, but I've seen football players do worse so I didn't think too much of it... until I heard about this incident.

Southgate should have sent him home - we don't need him for these matches and he should learn that actions have consequences. In my job, and in most other jobs, you start a physical confrontation with one of your coworkers and you're sacked in a second. He's getting so much leeway for being one of England's golden boys and I'm not sure missing a match against Montenegro is really going to teach him anything about what he did being wrong.

I think you're blowing it out of proportion. It's not like it was a full on fight. You probably see worse on a football pitch when there's handbags and gladrags.

The fact that Gomez is a reason Sterling not going home should tell you a lot, no? That perhaps what is being reported by media/fans is being exaggerated whereas you have Gomez, Sterling, Southgate playing down the actual events. If the person who has allegedly been on the end of Sterling's actions doesn't want him to be severely punished I think that should speak volumes. 

I think he will learn his actions have consequences - the fact he can't play in an England game is punishment enough for what's being reported. If it was perhaps more serious and Gomez was more seriously injured, then yeah I'd be inclined to agree to send him home as punishment.  

Let him be pissed off at the weekend's result. Pretty weird if he wasn't. Yeah don't take it to the next level and start on a teammate but when he has done that, it's not escalated further and I think it's been dealt with well. Of course Southgate had to come out and manage it, tone it down.

Like I said, shows something about the character of a man who can’t take a league loss while men like Kane and Trippier suffered disappointment in the biggest match of their careers and Kane had to share a fucking room with Henderson.

And it a coworker scratched my face I’d probably deck the cunt. So well done to Gomez for being the bigger man here 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Like I said, shows something about the character of a man who can’t take a league loss while men like Kane and Trippier suffered disappointment in the biggest match of their careers and Kane had to share a fucking room with Henderson.

And it a coworker scratched my face I’d probably deck the cunt. So well done to Gomez for being the bigger man here 

Players have different personalities!

For all we know we have absolutely no idea what's happened between the 2 events i.e. the match and the meeting up at SGP. Perhaps there's information we're not privy to.

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not a fan of your take on this here mate. Obviously you're going to side with your player against the a player you lot hate but comparing it to the Spurs lads just doesn't wash. Gomez decked Sterling on Sunday in a big game, this happened the day after. Concluding that Sterling hasn't matured or become a role model just because he's a lad in his mid-20s that lost his temper and has been dealt with by the manager is a massive exaggeration. I never liked Sterling since he broke into your team, possibly before because of all the stories of him knocking up two birds and abandoning the kids by the time he was 18 or whatever it was, and the fact he was a Liverpool player and seemed like a bit of a whiny bellend at times but you must admit he's been one of the key players in a title-winning side in footballing terms, and in turning the conversation about racism in football into a constructive one as well. This isn't all his PR team making him look good just because he's had one silly little slip up with a team-mate that is significant but not as big a deal as your reaction to it suggests.

24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not a fan of your take on this here mate. Obviously you're going to side with your player against the a player you lot hate but comparing it to the Spurs lads just doesn't wash. Gomez decked Sterling on Sunday in a big game, this happened the day after. Concluding that Sterling hasn't matured or become a role model just because he's a lad in his mid-20s that lost his temper and has been dealt with by the manager is a massive exaggeration. I never liked Sterling since he broke into your team, possibly before because of all the stories of him knocking up two birds and abandoning the kids by the time he was 18 or whatever it was, and the fact he was a Liverpool player and seemed like a bit of a whiny bellend at times but you must admit he's been one of the key players in a title-winning side in footballing terms, and in turning the conversation about racism in football into a constructive one as well. This isn't all his PR team making him look good just because he's had one silly little slip up with a team-mate that is significant but not as big a deal as your reaction to it suggests.

Gomez wasn't the one who pushed him into the stands - Gomez only pushed him after Sterling got in his face screaming at him, at a point in the match where Sterling was in hysterics about any decision going any way but his.

The shite about him having shitloads of children, by the way, was just made up racist shite by the tabloids - who are scum. And I'm not going to slur him with anything racist, and to his credit - as you mention - he's been really important in turning the conversation about racism in football. There's nothing bad about what he's done in those regards.

And again, I'm not saying anything about him as a player. He's one of the best players at Manchester City - that means he's one of the best players in the world.

I'm not quite sure what you call it when you've got a star player physically lashing out at a younger player trying to establish themselves in the national side - but that shouldn't be happening, regardless of what happens at the club level. Sergio Ramos and Pique are proof of that - two players who are the embodiment of a heated rivalry that goes far beyond whatever the fuck you call the bullshit between us and Manchester City.

But then we've got the apologists out there in Sterling's corner saying nothing should have happened - I think Rio Ferdinand's comments are a disgrace. And by not nipping this shit out in the bud early, it sort of explains why England's "golden generation" never achieved a fucking thing. Then he's got Danny Rose saying "oh he did it because the fans made him emotional." So because the fans do something, he's going to go do that? I don't think that shit would be coming out if he didn't ask for that shit to come out. He's done a good job rehabilitating his image from being Raheem Moneygrabbing Pound Sterling to an England golden boy - this incident is going to obviously hurt his public image even if it's just a bit. So of course he just wants it to blow over.

But it obviously indicates he's got attitude issues, because normal people don't do things like that. Even when they're just 24.

• Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo fair enough, I haven't even read Rio Ferdinand's comments in full as I saw his name and just assumed it would be a load of shite not worth reading.

I still think the Ramos Pique comparison is harsh. I doubt there's been many occasions where they've met up with the Spain squad barely 24 hours after a heated fixture between their two sides the day before. The timing here make it quite a unique set of circumstances, not an excuse for Sterling's actions of course.

I take your points in general though.

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50327100

Southgate says the squad for tonight's game will be 'very young'. What do we think the line-up will be?

Pickford

TAA - Maguire - Tomori - Chilwell

Henderson - Maddison - Mount

Sancho -Abraham - Rashford

That squad has an average age of just 20.7 yrs.

• The title was changed to England 7-0 Montenegro - Thursday 14th November, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived