• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Team of the 21st Century - Nominations

football forum

-----------------------------Buffon

----Dani Alves - - Puyol - - Terry - - Maldini

-----------------Zidane - - Xavi - - Iniesta

-----------Messi - - C.Ronaldo - - Ronaldinho

Busquets would have obviously offered more balance in midfield, but you can't leave out Zidane as he was a dream player. You wouldn't get the ball off that side either, so you could get away without someone more defensive minded in midfield. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Cafu over Alves, interesting. Is that because you don't like Alves or just don't like the team he was with?

It's actually not that interesting, i picked some of the players i couldn't stand in that team. Has nothing to do with the fact he played for Barcelona.

14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

As good as Lampard was, having him there instead of a total legend like Iniesta is rather remarkable too. But they are his choices and they are all top players. 

Why would you rate Iniesta over Lampard? He played in a golden age for Barcelona, obviously won more trophies which is logical. Also praised and jiized over like the most of that Barcelona generation. I never stated he was a bad player on the contrary, not only him but any Barcelona player apart from Pique. I was just wondering what did he achieve on a personal level that was superior to the achievements Lampard had? For example if Lampard played for Barcelona and played like he did in Chelsea he would be remarked as the best midfielder that ever lived simple. Your comment that is rather remarkable is like i picked Steve Sidwell instead of Iniesta.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, True Blue said:

It's actually not that interesting, i picked some of the players i couldn't stand in that team. Has nothing to do with the fact he played for Barcelona.

Totally understandable. I like Cafu as well don't get me wrong and I said before it would be very hard to pick between the two just because of what they did for that particular position. Was looking more for what you thought he brought to the game vs Alves as that's quite a good debate considering they are two players who you always think of in that position.

39 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Why would you rate Iniesta over Lampard? He played in a golden age for Barcelona, obviously won more trophies which is logical. Also praised and jiized over like the most of that Barcelona generation. I never stated he was a bad player on the contrary, not only him but any Barcelona player apart from Pique. I was just wondering what did he achieve on a personal level that was superior to the achievements Lampard had? For example if Lampard played for Barcelona and played like he did in Chelsea he would be remarked as the best midfielder that ever lived simple. Your comment that is rather remarkable is like i picked Steve Sidwell instead of Iniesta.

Not about trophies because in that case everyone should be choosing Dani Alves as their right-back due to the fact he is the player with the most trophies won within a collective (not just at one club either).

Lampard was a fantastic player but he is not on the same stratosphere as Iniesta mate. There's no jizzing at all... The debate is Zidane or Iniesta in that case for that position HISTORICALLY and Lampard is not in the debate.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Not about trophies because in that case everyone should be choosing Dani Alves as their right-back due to the fact he is the player with the most trophies won within a collective (not just at one club either).

Lampard was a fantastic player but he is not on the same stratosphere as Iniesta mate. There's no jizzing at all... The debate is Zidane or Iniesta in that case for that position HISTORICALLY and Lampard is not in the debate.

Still waiting for the why not?

Just now, True Blue said:

Why didn't you marry me, but decided to marry a woman.

No why is Iniesta on a different stratosphere to Lampard. Is it goals, assists general play? 

You wanted me to move to Bosnia mate, I love the beach! xD

On the Iniesta/Lampard issue... Just general football intuition mate. I wouldn't even have thought there was a debate there and tbh I think it's rather unfair to compare Frank with Andrés. There was magic Iniesta could conjure on that ball while seeming to dance majestically where even Ronaldinho (the magic showman himself) couldn't even imagine. For me Lampard was more renowned for his incredible ability to calculate through his own nature when to move into great scoring positions and executing it. Iniesta also showed that ability throughout his career (World Cup Final winning goal one example "won't name another one hahaha ;)") but on that note Lampard was more talented.

You know I love you mate. :x

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

You wanted me to move to Bosnia mate, I love the beach! xD

On the Iniesta/Lampard issue... Just general football intuition mate. I wouldn't even have thought there was a debate there and tbh I think it's rather unfair to compare Frank with Andrés. There was magic Iniesta could conjure on that ball while seeming to dance majestically where even Ronaldinho (the magic showman himself) couldn't even imagine. For me Lampard was more renowned for his incredible ability to calculate through his own nature when to move into great scoring positions and executing it. Iniesta also showed that ability throughout his career (World Cup Final winning goal one example "won't name another one hahaha ;)") but on that note Lampard was more talented.

You know I love you mate:x

giphy.gif

On 12/11/2019 at 13:42, Stan said:

Will do this properly later but players like Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Baggio, Del Piero, Maldini, Batistuta, Gazza, Shearer, Vieira, Schmeichel, Beckham should be included in some respect. 

To name a few, anyway xD

I haven't added any of those myself for the fact that, even though they are greats of the game and some of the best I've witnessed, they only had a few years at their best in this century(or no great years at all), rather than this century being the one in which we saw them at their best. It's difficult really, especially with Ronaldo, who spanned over 2 centuries. Maldini would be in my team though due to his longevity.

Not sure why you've mentioned Gazza mind. What's he done since 2000? He was still active but was shite around that time mate.

I already know @SirBalon's opinions, I mean, I've read his book(:ph34r:), but it would genuinely be interesting to hear from @SchalkeUK, @Bluewolf and @CaaC (John). Especially Schalke, because if I remember correctly, he once mentioned on here how he was old enough to have witnessed Di Stefano.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I haven't added any of those myself for the fact that, even though they are greats of the game and some of the best I've witnessed, they only had a few years at their best in this century(or no great years at all), rather than this century being the one in which we saw them at their best. It's difficult really, especially with Ronaldo, who spanned over 2 centuries. Maldini would be in my team though due to his longevity.

Not sure why you've mentioned Gazza mind. What's he done since 2000? He was still active but was shite around that time mate.

I already know @SirBalon's opinions, I mean, I've read his book(:ph34r:), but it would genuinely be interesting to hear from @SchalkeUK, @Bluewolf and @CaaC (John). Especially Schalke, because if I remember correctly, he once mentioned on here how he was old enough to have witnessed Di Stefano.

Mate I misread what Rando was aiming for but it was clarified later :D 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

@CaaC (John). Especially Schalke, because if I remember correctly, he once mentioned on here how he was old enough to have witnessed Di Stefano.

I have only seen him on tv but Di Stéfano was one of the greats like Pelé, Puskás and a lot of others, in their days footballs were not wet weathered like today but leather with stitching and when wet weighed a bomb but they could do all the fancy stuff that the likes of Ronaldo & Messi do nowadays.

Growing up in Australia the likes of football or soccer it was way down the pecking order with Rugby, Cricket and Australian Rules Football way ahead of football but my old man was an avid West Ham supporter so I grew up liking Australian Rules Football and soccer and when I came back to the UK I started to go to United matches and watch and read a lot about football and past and present greats

Di Stefano was a delight to watch as was Eusebio and in more recent times Raul.  Trouble is most brilliant players were only considered to be so when they had others around them who were great at creating the space for them to excel.  I never, ever would include Paul Scholes in anything because of his nastiness, but David Beckham revelled in the spaces he created and the way he frightened some opposition players into a negative and withdrawing approach.  The fitness of the modern day players leaves even some of the greats of the old squads behind - Pele was brilliant, but the defenders he beat were often at the end of their energy whereas modern day guys would still be running, tacking and - in Scholes' case kicking sh** out of him.  Norman Hunter would have eaten Sterling for breakfast before Gomez had got out of bed. So respect everyone's opinions and disagree like usual with their selections, but just accept that trying to compare 2020 with even 1920s when the Matthews and Finney were just growing up a kids is very difficult to justify the differences - Matthews would later make Sterling's forays seem like childs play because at the end of it he could pass a ball accurately to his team-mates but I have to accept that Beckham at his best would have been hard to decide if he or Kevin DB was the winner!  Pele or Alan Shearer or Messi - where does one start?  I hate losing young kids from UK teams because of the influx of foreign players, but one has to accept that they are only as good as they are because they have those idols and mentors from abroad.  Being with Mesut when he was a kid and later always reminds me that had he not been sent out of the Veltins to Bremen it would have excluded him from Diego's influence and that made him the brilliant young man he became (at that time). How do you start and separate Manuel Neuer from Bert Trautmann, Lev Yashin, Oliver Kahn or Gordon Banks - just fun to keep trying.:dam:

PS  Yes I was lucky enough to be in Cardiff in 1961 to watch DS play against Wales.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Norman Hunter would have eaten Sterling for breakfast before Gomez had got out of bed.

Lol, yep that's why they called him Norman 'Bite Your Legs' Hunter, in the picture below of the late, hard man Dave Mackay grabbing Billy Bremner by the scruff of the neck with a young Terry Venables running in to join the fun, they were hard man in those days and would shite all over the supposed hardmen of today. 

Dave_mackay_3217606b.jpg

44 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Di Stefano was a delight to watch as was Eusebio

Another all-time great,  I can remember watching the United's European Cup Final where Eusébio applauded United goalkeeper Alex Stepney after he made a save from the great man, a legend and a gentleman off and on the pitch, as Stepney said...

"When the ball was played through I thought it was probably a 55-45 ball for me but it slowed up and Eusébio was on to it. But this gave me the chance to stand up against him. I knew he wanted to burst the back of the net because that's the way he scored most of his goals. So that helped me.

After making the save I didn't quite follow what happened. I knew there were only a few minutes to go and I wanted to start a counterattack so I threw the ball to Tony Dunne. I saw something out of the corner of my eye but didn't quite understand what was happening. But I saw it on telly afterwards and what had happened was that Eusébio had stood there applauding. Well, that's the kind of man he was: the respect he gave to me and to football was tremendous."

The Guardian

Eus-bio-009.jpg?width=620&quality=85&aut

Another all-time great,  I can remember watching the United's European Cup Final where Eusébio applauded United goalkeeper Alex Stepney after he made a save from the great man, a legend and a gentleman off and on the pitch

I was lucky to be able to teach a young guy in Dewsbury who later started an entertainment groups which performed at grounds during half time.  His dad was Portuguese - the only guy I knew at the time who ended up with an A in that language in GCSE and his dad had named him after his hero - the boy was Eusebio Scruton-Miera and he is still around the local area teaching - amongst other things - dancing -- just like the old guy used to do through many defences.  Great player, fine lad and the name lives on.....

On 12/11/2019 at 13:39, SirBalon said:

I'm gonna seem quite biassed here and if this is the case then I get it. But most of mine are gonna be that Guardiola Barça side because for me it is the greatest club side ever witnessed.

• Goalkeeper: ANDRE TER STEGEN (Germany)
  • Right Centre-Back: RAFA MARQUEZ (Mexico)
  • Left Centre-Back: CARLES PUYOL (Spain)
  • Right-Back: DANI ALVES (Brazil)
  • Left-Back: JORDI ALBA (SPain)
  • Defensive Midfielder: SERGIO BUSQUETS (Spain)
  • Central Midfielder: XAVI (Spain)
  • Central Midfielder: ANDRÉS INIESTA (Spain)
  • Right-Forward: LIONEL MESSI (Argentina)
  • Left-Forward: RONALDINHO (Brazil)
  • Centre-Forward: SAMUEL ETO'O (Cameroon)

I know I've left out Pedrito and I fought long and hard between him and Ronaldinho, but in the end my love of fantasy and magic won through. 

I wouldn't say you were biased at all here mate :coffee:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Lol, yep that's why they called him Norman 'Bite Your Legs' Hunter, in the picture below of the late, hard man Dave Mackay grabbing Billy Bremner by the scruff of the neck with a young Terry Venables running in to join the fun, they were hard man in those days and would shite all over the supposed hardmen of today. 

Dave_mackay_3217606b.jpg

Another all-time great,  I can remember watching the United's European Cup Final where Eusébio applauded United goalkeeper Alex Stepney after he made a save from the great man, a legend and a gentleman off and on the pitch, as Stepney said...

"When the ball was played through I thought it was probably a 55-45 ball for me but it slowed up and Eusébio was on to it. But this gave me the chance to stand up against him. I knew he wanted to burst the back of the net because that's the way he scored most of his goals. So that helped me.

After making the save I didn't quite follow what happened. I knew there were only a few minutes to go and I wanted to start a counterattack so I threw the ball to Tony Dunne. I saw something out of the corner of my eye but didn't quite understand what was happening. But I saw it on telly afterwards and what had happened was that Eusébio had stood there applauding. Well, that's the kind of man he was: the respect he gave to me and to football was tremendous."

The Guardian

Eus-bio-009.jpg?width=620&quality=85&aut

33 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Another all-time great,  I can remember watching the United's European Cup Final where Eusébio applauded United goalkeeper Alex Stepney after he made a save from the great man, a legend and a gentleman off and on the pitch

I beat you to it,  2 posts above yours xD

GoalkeeperBuffon, Neuer

Right back/right wing back: Lahm

Centre back: Carvalho, Puyol, Vidic, Van Dijk

Left back/left wing back: Marcelo

Defensive midfielder/"number six": Kante, Pirlo

Central midfielder/"number eight": Zidane, Lampard, Iniesta, Deco

Attacking midfielder/"number ten": Ronaldinho, Kaka

Right midfielder/winger/forward: Messi

Left midfielder/winger/forward: Henry

Striker: Lewandoski, Eto'o, Aguero, Suarez

8 minutes ago, Machado said:

GoalkeeperBuffon, Neuer

Right back/right wing back: Lahm

Centre back: Carvalho, Puyol, Vidic, Van Dijk

Left back/left wing back: Marcelo

Defensive midfielder/"number six": Kante, Pirlo

Central midfielder/"number eight": Zidane, Lampard, Iniesta, Deco

Attacking midfielder/"number ten": Ronaldinho, Kaka

Right midfielder/winger/forward: Messi

Left midfielder/winger/forward: Henry

Striker: Lewandoski, Eto'o, Aguero, Suarez

Replace Marcelo with Luis or Roberto Carlos and we've got a deal.

Archived