The better place to talk football.

Team of the 21st Century - Nominations

football forum

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I wouldn't say you were biased at all here mate :coffee:

I was going to do something light-hearted like that but with that added ingredient on thr thread title of it being very difficult to dispute seeing as that Barça side with whatever variations you want to add during the periods. But in the end I made it more serious.

As much as I also love Gianluigi Buffon (I'm a massive fan like many), Casillas's career on practically all fronts beats his INCLUDING even visual perception during his very long dominant spell both for Real Madrid and Spain... He wasn't dubbed "San Casillas" as a joke! Throwing that into the ring for debate...

4 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

or even Bobby Moore

Bobby Moore without a shadow of a doubt. He was decades ahead of his time along with Franz Beckenbauer time as a ball-playing central defender.

Jack Charlton was a glorified hardman in midfield for me like Gattuso for Italy. Even though I will be accused of disrespecting them, I'm not in actual fact. They had a job to do because there were deficiencies and that cover was necessary. Other great sides with dominating midfields managed to balance the whole orchestra out without requiring a gimp type player. 

• Subscriber

Let's keep them going. Love to get 16 for each position, even if you've got suggestions that aren't going to make the final team, they could provide some tasty match ups. Lewandowski vs Ibrahimovic? Robben vs Salah? Etc.

One of the most underrated left full backs I have had the pleasure of watching and knowing in recent years is always overlooked, but his manner, attitude and respect for his opponents was the finest at the time.  He is the most capped Georgian player ever and is, at present, President of his countries football federation - Levan Kobiashvili - great player and a great special guy!  Sir Balon's latest two additions just go to show that getting the list down to 11 is not only going to be difficult, it is almost impossible!!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Got to give Schweinsteiger a shout, surely?

Learn to read Philip FFS.

On 12/11/2019 at 14:21, Stan said:

Goalkeeper: P Schmeichel, Cech, De Gea, Buffon, Casillas, Neuer

Right back/right wing back: Cafu, G Neville, Zambrotta, Lahm

Centre back: Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry, Van Dijk, Ramos, Pique, Puyol, Nesta, Maldini, Cannavaro, Thuram

Left back/left wing back: Roberto Carlos, A Cole, Jordi Alba

Defensive midfielder/"number six": Pirlo, Makelele, De Rossi, Busquets, Xavi, Keane, Kante, Vieira

Central midfielder/"number eight": Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Iniesta, Zidane, Deco, Schweinsteiger

Attacking midfielder/"number ten": Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Bergkamp, Zola, Totti, Seedorf, Kaka

Right midfielder/winger/forward: Messi, Figo

Left midfielder/winger/forward: Henry, Giggs, Pires

Striker: Ronaldo, C Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Shevchenko, Rooney, Aguero

19 hours ago, Machado said:

GoalkeeperBuffon, Neuer

Right back/right wing back: Lahm

Centre back: Carvalho, Puyol, Vidic, Van Dijk

Left back/left wing back: Marcelo

Defensive midfielder/"number six": Kante, Pirlo

Central midfielder/"number eight": Zidane, Lampard, Iniesta, Deco

Attacking midfielder/"number ten": Ronaldinho, Kaka

Right midfielder/winger/forward: Messi

Left midfielder/winger/forward: Henry

Striker: Lewandoski, Eto'o, Aguero, Suarez

No C.Ronaldo? Am I missing something here? A Portuguese lad not mentioning C.Ronaldo? :o

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I was going to do something light-hearted like that but with that added ingredient on thr thread title of it being very difficult to dispute seeing as that Barça side with whatever variations you want to add during the periods. But in the end I made it more serious.

As much as I also love Gianluigi Buffon (I'm a massive fan like many), Casillas's career on practically all fronts beats his INCLUDING even visual perception during his very long dominant spell both for Real Madrid and Spain... He wasn't dubbed "San Casillas" as a joke! Throwing that into the ring for debate...

Kahn has always been the keeper that stood out the most for me, although I'm not sure whether to add him or not due to his career spanning over two "centuries" and the same can be said for many players such as Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Maldini, etc. Hard to do and I'd find it far easier to say a team of my time, as I remember plenty of the 90s and the players who played during those times.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Learn to read Philip FFS.

If Zola is in, then Rivaldo would have to be for me as he's done more in this century, even if only in the first 3 or so years of it, i.e the world cup 2002 where he was the best player in tournament and his famous performance vs Valencia and him carrying the team was in 2001. I'd personally say Zola's best days were already behind him by this point.

It is difficult to say though isn't it mate? as many great players I have seen were active in the 90s and either continued into the early 00s or were still active then but not necessarily at their best.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

If Zola is in, then Rivaldo would have to be for me as he's done more in this century, even if only in the first 3 or so years of it, i.e the world cup 2002 where he was the best player in tournament and his famous performance vs Valencia and him carrying the team was in 2001. I'd personally say Zola's best days were already behind him by this point.

It is difficult to say though isn't it mate? as many great players I have seen were active in the 90s and either continued into the early 00s or were still active then but not necessarily at their best.

Difficult indeed. So many players cross over but still made an impact late in their careers. 

22 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

Di Stefano was a delight to watch as was Eusebio

My Grandfather's favourite was always Tom Finney. He(my grandfather) was a Liverpool fan, but played for Preston reserves(I will try and find his team photo in fact, which I did actually post on the old forum) and Finney was a big idol of his.

What about Diego Maradona? I haven't heard you mention him(which is why I ask), and also Johan Cruijff?

From all the footage and old games I've seen of players from before my time, ones who stand out the most are Cruijff, Maradona, Charlton, Best, Pele and Rivellino. Can't forget Beckenbauer either.

I can actually remember Maradona, but the World Cup 94 Maradona and not the 86 one since I was actually born in 86.

Archived