talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Team of the 21st Century - Nominations

football forum

21 hours ago, BartraPique1932 said:

Replace Marcelo with Luis or Roberto Carlos and we've got a deal.

I didn't watch that much of Roberto Carlos so I'm not going to pretend to be a fan. We've all seen the youtube clips but much like Maldini, I only saw them playing in the odd international game. All the players I listed are players I watched plenty of.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I at least have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Roberto Carlos was supremely superior to Marcelo in every way. Roberto Carlos could defend and he caused untold havoc to defences going forward... He was Real Madrid through and through like Marcelo (in Europe) but I had a morbid love for his game because he was so stable and unbalancing for rivals. Marcelo (I've always said this) is one of the most overrated footballers in his position in history.

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I at least have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Roberto Carlos was supremely superior to Marcelo in every way. Roberto Carlos could defend and he cause untold havoc to defences gping forward... He was Real Madrid through and through like Marcelo (in Europe) but I had a morbid love for his game because he was so stable and unbalancing for rivals. Marcelo (I've always said this) is one of the most overrated footballers in his position in history.

Even though he might not have been always efficient, specially defensively, my thing with Marcelo is that I find him very fun to watch, so I think football needs more players like him. Where are the dribblers these days?

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I at least have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Roberto Carlos was supremely superior to Marcelo in every way. Roberto Carlos could defend and he cause untold havoc to defences gping forward... He was Real Madrid through and through like Marcelo (in Europe) but I had a morbid love for his game because he was so stable and unbalancing for rivals. Marcelo (I've always said this) is one of the most overrated footballers in his position in history.

Filipe Luis and Jordi Alba have both been better for me as well(from Marcelo's era), nevermind Roberto Carlos, who is all-time great type level in his position.

Let's not forget Maldini of course either. But again, he's another player whose career spanned over 3 decades and 2 centuries...

15 minutes ago, Machado said:

I remember as a kid everyone at school wanted to be Ronaldinho, Henry and Eto'o.

Eto'o was brilliant, so skilled for a striker. He'd make a mockery of most strikers around if he was playing these days.

I agree and I'm personally baffled at the lack of mentions of both himself and David Villa.

2 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

My Grandfather's favourite was always Tom Finney. He(my grandfather) was a Liverpool fan, but played for Preston reserves(I will try and find his team photo in fact, which I did actually post on the old forum) and Finney was a big idol of his.

What about Diego Maradona? I haven't heard you mention him(which is why I ask), and also Johan Cruijff?

From all the footage and old games I've seen of players from before my time, ones who stand out the most are Cruijff, Maradona, Charlton, Best, Pele and Rivellino. Can't forget Beckenbauer either.

I can actually remember Maradona, but the World Cup 94 Maradona and not the 86 one since I was actually born in 86.

I did live through the whole Maradona era and even remember his introduction into international football in the 1982 World Cup where he was mauled without the referees lifting a finger. Maradona is for me the most unique player in history and only Messi compares.

I also remember the final years of Cruyff but it's not fair to comment with that experience without having studied his playing career which I have like I've also done extensively with Alfredo di Stéfano, Eusebio, Pelé, Luis Suárez Miramontes (Spain's only natural born Ballon d'Or Winner), Téofilo Cubillas, George Best, Franz Beckenbauer, Ángel Labruna and Sir Stanley Matthews. These guys I've studied extensively through books, interviews and obviously all the video footage available...

But all of those are exluded from this thread and debate by Rando's set rules which I completely understand and haven't included them for this reason because otherwise my XI would be serious 100% and completely different.

14 minutes ago, Machado said:

Even though he might not have been always efficient, specially defensively, my thing with Marcelo is that I find him very fun to watch, so I think football needs more players like him. Where are the dribblers these days?

Marcelo is indeed fun to watch because he causes chaos in the opponent's half mate. But defensively he has been awful and that deletes him from any reckoning I have by comparing him to the greats in his positition. As far as I'm concerned he's never even been the best in his position during the period he's dominated the FIFA Awards.

Apologies to Rando!  Very naughty of me not to have read the first post here - and I, like many others, have wandered into pastures far too old to qualify for his original intention.  I will go away on to the naughty step and consider the actual rules and tray and come up with a team which would qualify under his rules.  It's still fun to see how others remember the great old players who were part of making this game what it has become all over the world - the Euro league, Champions League, World Cup, Cup of Nations etc - all from the first old men with beards, moustaches and pants below the knees kicking a heavy huge lump of leather about to lift their lives to a new level and take the rest of us with them!

19 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The days of Zola and Vialli(albeit being at the end of his career then) at Chelsea. You were at your most likeable then in my opinion @Cicero, @carefreeluke, @True Blue, @Bluewolf, @Happy Blue

Don't think we were ever a hated club pre Roman. Hell we where even likeable, think we are starting to grow on people with Lampard and this crop of players.

58 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Don't think we were ever a hated club pre Roman. Hell we where even likeable, think we are starting to grow on people with Lampard and this crop of players.

Yeah, I don't think you're really dislikeable anymore either, in fact, I'd rather Chelsea win the Prem this year than any of the others personally.

• Subscriber

Right lads, in my bid to get 16 players for each position, I've looked through a bunch of Champions League and World Cup results to add as many contenders as possible, but I'm still struggling for a few positions:

889109589_ScreenShot2019-11-15at14_28_50.thumb.png.935cc2f1c70d9c705600dc1a15a581e4.png

I'm sure many of you will disagree with some of my inclusions. By all means suggest an alternative, I'm more than happy to reconsider, but please don't just go "Navas? Wtf that's a ridiculous shout" because I will just ignore you if you don't offer a replacement. Remember you can nominate people who clearly aren't going to win the vote, the point behind this is to generate debate. E.G. You might think Cafu is nailed on for the right back position but why can't we also have a debate about who was better out of Juanfran and Gary Neville?

I'm also aware that some players are slightly out of position. You may not consider Roy Keane to be a CDM or Mandzukic to be a left-sided player, but unfortunately there are loads of CMs and strikers for this and we're lacking in other areas. The centre back positions have been separated into two lists just as I type them in. I will re-randomise these into two groups of 16 before completing the draw for that position.

So yeah, please fire some more defenders and wingers out there please. We've already missed plenty of shockers and I'm sure I've missed some too. If there are no all-time greats left for those positions we'll just have to stick in a few near-elite players to give the real contenders someone to go up against!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Right lads, in my bid to get 16 players for each position, I've looked through a bunch of Champions League and World Cup results to add as many contenders as possible, but I'm still struggling for a few positions:

889109589_ScreenShot2019-11-15at14_28_50.thumb.png.935cc2f1c70d9c705600dc1a15a581e4.png

I'm sure many of you will disagree with some of my inclusions. By all means suggest an alternative, I'm more than happy to reconsider, but please don't just go "Navas? Wtf that's a ridiculous shout" because I will just ignore you if you don't offer a replacement. Remember you can nominate people who clearly aren't going to win the vote, the point behind this is to generate debate. E.G. You might think Cafu is nailed on for the right back position but why can't we also have a debate about who was better out of Juanfran and Gary Neville?

I'm also aware that some players are slightly out of position. You may not consider Roy Keane to be a CDM or Mandzukic to be a left-sided player, but unfortunately there are loads of CMs and strikers for this and we're lacking in other areas. The centre back positions have been separated into two lists just as I type them in. I will re-randomise these into two groups of 16 before completing the draw for that position.

So yeah, please fire some more defenders and wingers out there please. We've already missed plenty of shockers and I'm sure I've missed some too. If there are no all-time greats left for those positions we'll just have to stick in a few near-elite players to give the real contenders someone to go up against!

Think Guti deserves to be in there as a CDM (no space left in CM). Gattuso and Redondo have to be added!! 

Perhaps Fernando Hierro for CB as well? Materazzi and Walter Samuel?

Del Piero for CAM. Podolski for CAM/LM?

Maybe Nani for LM - he was quite good in that attack for Man Utd in late 00s/early 10s. 

Shame there's no space for likes of Van Nistelrooy, Crespo and Pippo Inzaghi. I'd be tempted to take Larsson out for one of those 3...

Despite the decline in the last couple seasons,I think it's fair to include Ozil if there is a spare CAM slot and Alexis in a spare RM or LM slot.

Especially the latter. Was magic for most part till he went to United.

On 15/11/2019 at 14:37, RandoEFC said:

Some to fill the gaps:

RB - Miguel, Salgado, Sagnol, Azpilicueta

LB - Capdevilla, Grosso, Kolarov

CB - Campbell, Tudor, Martinez, Hierro, Vertonghen, Garay

CDM - Costinha, Henderson, Fernandinho, Witsel

RM - Douglas Costa, Lamela, Lucas Moura, Hulk, Shaqiri, Cuadrado, Bernardo Silva

LM - Milner, Tadic, Payet, Gervinho

CAM - Van Der Vaart, Nedved, Diego, Aimar, Arshavin

3 hours ago, Machado said:

Some to fill the gaps:

RM - Douglas Costa, Lamela, Lucas Moura, Hulk, Shaqiri, Cuadrado, Bernardo Silva

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Machado said:

Some to fill the gaps:

I'm pretty sure the Gervinho mention is having a laugh at us Arsenal fans but there are some very important names in football frok the latter years there. Pavel Nedved was one of my real favourites!

@RandoEFC... Would Paulo Futre be eligible?

paulo-futre-atletico-kFVH-U5018719058162

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Cazorla for CAM? 

The guy has reincarnated mate! He has been reborn and what he's achieving once again defies logic. Did you see what he did for Spain the other day?

How Arsenal could do with him once again.

Archived