talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Supporting Artists

football forum

• Subscriber

Had a great talk with a friend of mine who I call once every month as he's a guy gigging out in Thailand and basically living a life I may have lived once a long time ago. We started talking about how world has been made better for artists to get support via platforms like YouTube, Patreon, etc. and it got me wondering how many people actually support artists monetarily besides purchasing tickets and merchandise. I support three people via Patreon: Paul Davids, Mary Spender and Davie504. These three offer variety in the information they provide to the community and I know what its like to play a gig and walk away with peanut shells when you're done so I figure small contributions really don't hurt me much and it helps someone achieve what they are working really hard for. 

Anyone else do anything like this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Never considered that myself; mostly because I usually listen to old music and haven't come across any new artists whose music would make me want to support them. Mind I'm not saying that there aren't any; it's just that I'm not really searching for it. 

That said - if I stumbled across someone like that then I would definitely consider donating every now and then if I liked their work.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, nudge said:

Never considered that myself; mostly because I usually listen to old music and haven't come across any new artists whose music would make me want to support them. Mind I'm not saying that there aren't any; it's just that I'm not really searching for it. 

That said - if I stumbled across someone like that then I would definitely consider donating every now and then if I liked their work.

I think the royalties from that music + the YouTube generator stream or whatever service you're using really covers them pretty well. I think there's a nice sub-segment of musicians across YouTube who do some great work in either teaching or showing new concepts to people and I know how hard it is and the time it takes to actually make a video with rich content and its probably why I put a little aside for them every month.

8 hours ago, Panflute said:

I support the artists I like plenty. I'm a bit more lenient when it comes to big label artists though, as it kind of feels like dumping money into a black hole of anonymous suits.

This is totally true. So many artists get screwed on their record deals and don't even own the material they've made so popular. I think all the big names really don't need anything more other than buying an album or turning up at a show. Their revenue streams are off the roof really. 

Are there any upcoming artists in the Netherlands who are doing YT stuff? I used to remember them having a great acoustic scene at one point.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I've contributed in the past to Janet Devlin whether it's via her StageIt shows or through PledgeMusic when she was trying to fund her first album. Always liked her music from before she was on The X Factor and then got to interview her when I worked for Spark FM in Sunderland.

Archived