talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Villa To Retire From Football

football forum

• Administrator

at the end of the J-League season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50401494

Spain's all-time top goalscorer David Villa will retire next month, at the end Japan's J-League season.

The former Barcelona striker will end a 19-year career, in which he won the 2010 World Cup and 2008 European Championship with his country.

The 37-year-old, who also won two La Liga titles and the Champions League with Barca, said he had been thinking about the decision "for a long time".

"I wanted to retire from football, not be forced to retire," he added.

Villa, who has been playing for Vissel Kobe this year after four seasons in the United States with New York City, will become an investor in Queensboro FC, a new franchise based in the New York district of Queens that will play in the second tier of US football.

"Even though I will no longer be on the pitch, I will continue to be involved in football in other ways and will continue to contribute to the football world," he said.

Villa scored 59 times for Spain, playing in three World Cups, lifting the trophy in 2010 after winning the European Championship two years before.

He also scored the third goal for Barcelona at Wembley in the 3-1 win over Manchester United in the 2010-11 Champions League Final.

One of the greatest Spanish strikers to have played.

He was quality at Valencia and Barca.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great with both feet(didn't have a weak one), scored all types of goals from vollies, to goals from the half way line, was very skilful on the ball and his off the ball movement was second to none.

David Villa, especially in his Valencia days, was incredible and as @The Artful Dodger said above, he seems to go under the radar a lot.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

@True Blue must he loving all this. It’s like that morbid wish most people have of wanting to witness your own funeral so as to see what people thought, said and felt about you for real. O.o

14 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Great career @True Blue and one of the worlds best in your prime. Shame you flopped when transferred to TF365 though. Never lived up to the hype.

13 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I knew it wouldn't take long for @True Blue to get mentioned in here.

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sorry I forgot to tag you in the original post. How rude of me. 

12 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

My first though was of @True Blue

1 minute ago, True Blue said:

giphy.gif

he must hate all this tagging and quoting as well @True Blue

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I swear i have been on TC and TFF for years, but never knew who the hell is Brian?

Blue/Grizzly/Libby/altobelli/journalist/scout/chairman/traveller/car crash survivor

• 1 year later...

Archived