talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ernesto Valverde is the new manager of FC Barcelona

The next FC Barcelona coach...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who for you will be the next Barça head coach?

• Juan Carlos Unzué
    • Jorge Sampaoli
    • Ernesto Valverde
    • Ronald Koeman
    • Laurent Blanc
    • Massimiliano Allegri
    • Quique Setién
    • Juan Antonio Pizzi
    • Other (who?)...

• Administrator

Sky talking about it before Barca vs Valencia tonight.

Juan Carlos Unzue (current assistant to Luis Enrique) is at evens.

Ernesto Valverde @ 3/1. 
Ronald Koeman @ 5/1

Perhaps Wenger or Pochettino? Sampaoli of Sevilla was talked about a lot when Enrique made the announcement.

Could they tempt anyone else?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way will it be Arsene Wenger and I don't even mean that in any untoward manner because of the way I feel about him being Arsenal's manager.  There is just no chance in hell he could ever become the Barcelona coach...  Doesn't have absolutely anything on what's needed and anyway, Barça don't need a manager.  They need a coach!

Right now the favourite is still Ernesto Valverde (Athletic Bilbao), but Luis Enrique's number 2 Unzue looks to be gaining ground as the days go by and some of the players have actually been vocal about him.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

No way will it be Arsene Wenger and I don't even mean that in any untoward manner because of the way I feel about him being Arsenal's manager.  There is just no chance in hell he could ever become the Barcelona coach...  Doesn't have absolutely anything on what's needed and anyway, Barça don't need a manager.  They need a coach!

Right now the favourite is still Ernesto Valverde (Athletic Bilbao), but Luis Enrique's number 2 Unzue looks to be gaining ground as the days go by and some of the players have actually been vocal about him.

Haha I only mentioned Wenger as he was listed in the odds as well at a modest 10/1.

I found it a bit coincidental that a lot of emphasis was placed on Unzue. Cameras panned to him a lot as he barked out instructions while Enrique sat comfortably in the dugout. I wonder if it's known that he'll take over now anyway. 

1 minute ago, StanLCFC said:

I found it a bit coincidental that a lot of emphasis was placed on Unzue. Cameras panned to him a lot as he barked out instructions while Enrique sat comfortably in the dugout. I wonder if it's known that he'll take over now anyway. 

I have no idea, but reading certain tweets over the past few days from particular people and listening on Spanish radio football shows, his name keeps on winning ground all the time.  Plus what I said about certain players voicing things but in a subtle manner.

It wouldn't be the first time Barça sign from within and it wouldn't be a shock although there are some big names out there doing a great job which would snap up that position in a second which is why it's all the more intriguing.

n_f_c_barcelona_los_entrenadores-3374660

Unzué finally takes the lead

Slowly slowly the silent man in all of this has overtaken all the others while some fell by the waste side like Jorge Sampaoli and Max Allegri.  Juan Carlos Unzué has been winning confidence votes from all sectors with Athletic Bilbao's Ernesto Valverde in a very close second according to opinion and a vote that was started only this morning on Mundo Deportivo which at the moment only has 326 votes but shows exactly how close it is and fundamentally how Unzué is now the slight favourite.

According to journalists close the the Barça setup, the Barcelona players really trust Unzué and believe in him.  It is suggested that the heavyweights in the Barça dressing room would really love Unzué to get the job although they aren't against a few of the names that have been mentioned.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-22%20at%2009.47.

Los 4 finalistas para el banquillo del Barça

1490351432297.jpg

Barça president Bartomeu and Pochettino meet in Barcelona restaurant

Massive turnaround in events surrounding the future of the FC Barcelona bench from next season.  Just when it was looking like Juan Carlos Unzué was now the main man to take over from Luis Enrique who is stepping down this summer, Mauricio Pochettino was followed to a Barcelona restaurant by journalists where he met up with the Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Present Tottenham Hotspur coach Mauricio Pochettino has uptil now been excluded from the main candidates for the Barça hot seat simply because of his RCD Espanyol past which is extensive.  But Pochettino's formula on promoting youth and creating a homegrown backbone in his coached teams to date has made the Barcelona President have to call him and due to the fact Pochettino's family reside in Barcelona and where he visits every time he can, this has led to this meeting being made simple.

Nobody knows what will happen or what was said in the meeting, but this has turned the tables upside down in a matter of 24 hours.

Cumbre Bartomeu-Pochettino en Barcelona

Why? He's built something potentially great at Spurs. Great young English players, have one of the best defences in the league, and play some of the best footy.  Spurs have the potential to compete for the title consistently as well as in Europe. 

football forum
Just now, Storts said:

xD

He's not going anywhere and definitely not to Barcelona. Just like when he had lunch with Fergie and suddenly he was going to United

He used Southampton as a stepping stone to you so I've no doubt he would do the same to get at a club like Barcelona.

I don't think he will go there (nor do I want him to) but I wouldn't be so sure about him "not going anywhere".

• Subscriber
Just now, Cannabis said:

He used Southampton as a stepping stone to you so I've no doubt he would do the same to get at a club like Barcelona.

I don't think he will go there (nor do I want him to) but I wouldn't be so sure about him "not going anywhere".

I am sure. He's not going anywhere this summer. We're in a completely different situation to Southampton and that's far too simplistic a view. Pochettino was unhappy with the treatment of Cortese and the direction Liebherr was going in.

He'll leave at some point I'm sure - but as it stands no. He's achieved nothing yet but he knows taking us to trophies is a greater achievement than anything he can do at Barcelona. He's consistently spoken of the project, wanting to be there when the new stadium is finished etc.

He's also Espanyol through and through. Barca will go a different direction.

I find it rather strange that anyone would question a coach entertaining the possibility of coaching a club like Barcelona.

I understand that what he's built at Spurs is something special, but this is football and there's no comparison between the two clubs.  Remember that Pochettino is Argentinian and then spent most of his career playing and coaching in Spain.

The only question people in Spain are asking today is that a fervent Espanyol fan is possibly contemplating coaching the eternal hated enemy FC Barcelona.  Nobody has questioned what he's doing at Tottenham Hotspur...  Only his footballing past!

The only other thing remaining is the fact the meeting actually took place.  Now what the meeting was about, nobody knows but the Espanyol fans are already going mental on social media at the fact he's spoken to the Barça president.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I find it rather strange that anyone would question a coach entertaining the possibility of coaching a club like Barcelona.

I understand that what he's built at Spurs is something special, but this is football and there's no comparison between the two clubs.  Remember that Pochettino is Argentinian and then spent most of his career playing and coaching in Spain.

The only question people in Spain are asking today is that a fervent Espanyol fan is possibly contemplating coaching the eternal hated enemy FC Barcelona.  Nobody has questioned what he's doing at Tottenham Hotspur...  Only his footballing past!

The only other thing remaining is the fact the meeting actually took place.  Now what the meeting was about, nobody knows but the Espanyol fans are already going mental on social media at the fact he's spoken to the Barça president.

It's not special yet - but it will be I hope. He's big on projects and trust. It's far too early in his career to be doing that and in terms of recognition he can earn so much more respect winning at Tottenham, than at Barcelona where it is expected.

Poch has meetings all the time - he loves talking football, it's not a surprise and not a worry to me. But people of course like jumping to conclusions, just as they did when he met Fergie.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Why would he do that? Massive step down. 

Precisely, he doesn't want a job where he's forced to spend massive money - he likes to nurture youth and develop. United is not that club anymore.

I don't get involved in the Barcelona topics much but for what it's worth, me and my missus spent Friday to Monday in Barca and we went to the game Sunday. We got to speak to many Barca fans over there and the general consensus was they would like Koeman, even though the Bilbao manager was widely tipped in the media.

Not just for obvious reasons of Koeman being a legend there, the great links Barcelona have with the Dutch, and also his own personal understanding the club, but also because he is not afraid to make big decisions that need making there.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

he likes to nurture youth and develop.

Then Barça is the perfect job.

In all seriousness I don't believe the meeting was about a future move to become Barcelona coach.  But then again why would he be meeting the president, a man that knows nothing about football and is a basketball fan.  The one thing Josep Maria Bartmoeu is accused of by the Barcelona fans is exactly that and that he knows nothing about the sport.  There is that, but my knowledge on Spanish football tells me that a movement by an Espanyol legend is something very sensitive.

9 minutes ago, Storts said:

It's not special yet - but it will be I hope. He's big on projects and trust. It's far too early in his career to be doing that and in terms of recognition he can earn so much more respect winning at Tottenham, than at Barcelona where it is expected.

Poch has meetings all the time - he loves talking football, it's not a surprise and not a worry to me. But people of course like jumping to conclusions, just as they did when he met Fergie.

Saw this after I posted my last comment...

I agree with you.  It doesn't look right for various reasons already stated, but the only reason people are asking questions is because the one person he was having the meeting with is the Barça president and not the other people involved who have a football past.  Pochettino indeed has constant meetings with football people and he is constantly in Barcelona because of family affairs, but this meeting doesn't make sense to be honest.  It wouldn't have made the sports news in Spain if he'd met with absolutely anyone else involved with Barça had it not been the president.  In Spain they're so sure it's either going to be Valverde or Unzué (or at least they were sure before last night).

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Saw this after I posted my last comment...

I agree with you.  It doesn't look right for various reasons already stated, but the only reason people are asking questions is because the one person he was having the meeting with is the Barça president and not the other people involved who have a football past.  Pochettino indeed has constant meetings with football people and he is constantly in Barcelona because of family affairs, but this meeting doesn't make sense to be honest.  It wouldn't have made the sports news in Spain if he'd met with absolutely anyone else involved with Barça had it not been the president.  In Spain they're so sure it's either going to be Valverde or Unzué (or at least they were sure before last night).

Yeah...I'm sure it will be on of those two too. By the way - Pochettino is friends with Bartomeu, and the club knew about the meeting between the two. It's a nothing story which of course the press like to run with. Barcelona would be a great club for him years down the line, but it would be a cop out now.

Just now, Storts said:

Yeah...I'm sure it will be on of those two too. By the way - Pochettino is friends with Bartomeu, and the club knew about the meeting between the two. It's a nothing story which of course the press like to run with. Barcelona would be a great club for him years down the line, but it would be a cop out now.

It's the first I've heard about him being friends with the Barcelona president.  If this is true, then that explains everything.

I personally still think it's going to be Unzué although this could be Valverde's last chance of having the opportunity and he is torn due to his past with both Athletic Bilbao and FC Barcelona.

The fact Mauricio Pochettino is connected though is understandable and I can't exclude it altogether.  The only thing is his Espanyol past which would create problems.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

A step down?? :4_joy: storts, he has reached his peak with Spurs. Losing to Gent and getting close to the title last year but ended behind Arsenal, again, should show Mauricio P that with Spurs, once you reach a certain level, thats as good as its going to get. He has reached his peak and its time for him to move on to better things. 

Real Madrid's youth has been more successful the last few years. La masia is not what it use to be 

Aren't you going to finish below us again? With the most expensive squad in Europe xD Face it, United aren't the draw they used to be. Of course, massive club etc. etc. but no one in their right mind is making that move across right now. We have the youngest team in the league, who have got progressively better every season he has been here.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's the first I've heard about him being friends with the Barcelona president.  If this is true, then that explains everything.

I personally still think it's going to be Unzué although this could be Valverde's last chance of having the opportunity and he is torn due to his past with both Athletic Bilbao and FC Barcelona.

The fact Mauricio Pochettino is connected though is understandable and I can't exclude it altogether.  The only thing is his Espanyol past which would create problems.

Yeah, our club correspondent was told by the club about 45 minutes ago. As I said Poch has these sort of meetings all the time, he's regularly in Barcelona and if he's there no reason he wouldn't meet for lunch with a friend.

Of course, they may or may not have discussed it, but I don't believe he's a) on the radar right now or b) wanting to leave the club yet. Just a bit of non story that is inevitable with people putting two and two together and getting 5.

He actually went back on his Espanyol comments earlier in the month, he'd previously said he was born with a bull in his arm, but changed it to a ball in his arms...clever right. Either way, would be a difficult decision for him with his connections.

1 minute ago, Storts said:

He actually went back on his Espanyol comments earlier in the month, he'd previously said he was born with a bull in his arm, but changed it to a ball in his arms...clever right. Either way, would be a difficult decision for him with his connections.

Yeah, I read things relating to that...

The thing is that elsewhere Espanyol has no relevance because they're nowhere near the size of FC Barcelona, but in Spain these things matter as can be appreciated.  His possible move to Barça would be seen in Spain as something you just don't do and infact for the Espanyol fans it would be more sensitive than a Barça player moving from them to Real Madrid which tells you where the feelings lie.

This is the only question mark that's been put on the meeting to be honest and very little else.  Infact as I stressed in an earlier comment, the Espanyol fans are already bombarding the social media because of the meeting without even caring what it was about.  He is one of Espanyol's own like Tamudo...  Something that can't be touched.

Archived