talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ernesto Valverde is the new manager of FC Barcelona

The next FC Barcelona coach...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who for you will be the next Barça head coach?

• Juan Carlos Unzué
    • Jorge Sampaoli
    • Ernesto Valverde
    • Ronald Koeman
    • Laurent Blanc
    • Massimiliano Allegri
    • Quique Setién
    • Juan Antonio Pizzi
    • Other (who?)...

I think it's too early for Pochettino but next season will be a big test for him. Spurs have been resilliant at White Hart Lane this season, and getting used to a new stadium is not an easy thing. They should be juggling with Champions League Football too, which is something they did not manage well this season.

I hope he does well as I admire the way he gets his teams playing and the trust he has in academy players. If Spurs can finish in The Champions League places again next year then as far as i'm concerned every top club considering replacing their manager should be going out their way to get him.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to the mini boom the news of the Barcelona president and the Tottenham Hotspur coach created.  The Barça president Josep Maria Bartomeu has stated that the meet up with Mauricio Pochettino was a casual one as has occurred before and that nothing was said because there was no speculation surrounding Barça needing a new coach in the future.  He said that they meet up frequently because Mauricio is in Barcelona every time he can because of visiting family and friends.  He added that the Spurs coach isn't one of the candidates for the Barça coach's job as he has a wonderful project he wants to finish where he is.

The Barcelona president also added that Valverde hasn't been contacted at all.  Even though this should be taken with a pinch of salt because everyone knows he's in contention, it does actually coincide with a lot of statements coming from the Barça players talking wonders about Juan Carlos Unzué.  As the days past it's looking more and more certain that Luis Enrique's assistant will be getting the job.  Although Ronald Koeman was again spotted in the FC Barcelona headquarters on Friday morning (he does tend to go there a lot though).

8 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I imagine if Barcelona were serious about Pochettino they wouldn't have met in such a public setting.

These things are constantly done in restaurants mate.  At least the initial meeting to ascertain the primary thoughts on whether to make a formal go of it.  Obviously in this case the press got it wrong but I can see why because of the fact everyone knows Barça are looking for a coach from next season and that candidates are constantly being connected.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has insisted it would be "impossible" to ever manage Barcelona - or fierce rivals Arsenal.

The Spurs boss was linked with the Barcelona job last week after being pictured meeting with club president Josep Maria Bartomeu during the international break.

talkSPORT were told the reports linking Pochettino with the Nou Camp job were nonsense, and that their meeting was merely ‘a chance encounter between old friends’.

And the Argentine has direct directly addressed the reports, insisting he could never take the reins at Barca.

The former Espanyol manager says he is still a supporter of the Spanish club and, as a huge believer in club loyalty, he has dismissed the notion of taking a job at a rival club.

"It was a coincidence in a bar in Barcelona last Tuesday," Pochettino said.

"I know him for a long time before he became chairman of Barcelona. Many people around us, they have seen us to say hello, we spend five minutes together but that was the reality.

"You know the rumours after it's impossible to stop but I am an Espanyol supporter and I don't speak too much.

"If (Tottenham chairman) Daniel Levy sacked me in a few years, for me it would be impossible to manage Arsenal.

"In football I know it's difficult to keep values, to be loyal, have heart and emotion but for me it's more important to be honest.

"I am an Espanyol fan, I love Espanyol and now it is like that at Tottenham. For me it would be impossible one day to move to Arsenal, it would be impossible."

Asked if that meant he would not be taking over at Barcelona this summer, Pochettino said: "I think my answer was very clear."

Read more at https://talksport.com/football/i-could-never-manage-barcelonaor-arsenal-tottenham-boss-mauricio-pochettino-addresses#iRxkBqqbVPy7foab.99

https://talksport.com/football/i-could-never-manage-barcelonaor-arsenal-tottenham-boss-mauricio-pochettino-addresses

Like I said, with what he has done at Spurs, It would be mad for him to completely abandon that in favor of a move to Barca, where winning there would be vastly less satisfying than winning with Spurs considering he's built them to compete long term. 

I respect that answer from Pochettino!  That's a true football man and totally understand him...  It's sad that if the possibility were there that he wouldn't be able to manage Barça, but club loyalty is always beautiful to see and someone from Espanyol (which he is through and through) is unattainable to move across town.

I think both Barcelona and Koeman know that one day they will be reunited in that way. But I have my doubts about this time around from what all the believable rumours are saying. But you never know... Barça are probably the most unorthadox of all the massive clubs when it comes to hiring a coach. 

• 1 month later...

robert-entrenador-barcelona-pista.jpg

Who will be the next FC Barcelona coach?

It's a total mystery and one of the best kept secrets at FC Barcelona in years.  Usually these sorts of things tend to be leaked by someone at the major clubs and the fact that investigative journalists in the world of sport tend to be very good at their jobs in recent years especially in Spain.

But nobody other than the club knows what's going on and where at the very start when Luis Enrique (after the PSG Paris debacle) handed in his resignation publicly for the end of the present season, Jorge Sampaoli (Sevilla FC) was the major favourite and the one the Barça fans wanted.  Then the Athletic Club Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde won a lot of media coverage with the fact he'd been thought of a few years back and that he is very well thought of by many in the board stepped forward as the favourite...  All of a sudden a couple of weeks later it was Luis Enrique's number two, Juan Carlos Unzué who was odds on favourite to take over due to his great relationship with heavyweights in the side.

Well this morning the favourite is now the ex-PSG coach (also ex Barcelona player) Laurent Blanc who is now the man in the spotlight.  Apparently Robert Fernández (pictured to the right above) the technical director for sport who went to Paris to speak to the French coach who isn't in a job right now.  He has been mentioned over the past few weeks but few took it seriously and now he's coming to the fore as one of the favourites. Everton's Ronald Koeman also keeps getting mentioned for obvious reasons as does Real Sociedad's Eusebio Sacristán (he has said time again that he's going nowhere) who as a past Barça player (the Cruyff Dream Team) and doing a great job at La Real gets his name in there too.

Other names mentioned in the past few weeks also range from Max Allegri (who seems to be signing a new contract at Juve), Juan Antonio Pizzi (coach for the Chile national team) or Quique Setién who is at UD Las Palmas but is favourite to take the job at Valencia and is very highly thought of in Spain. 

But nobody knows....

To be very honest the obvious options you hear bandied about as the main contenders aren't all that great really...Valverde played really good football in his first two seasons at Bilbao, and his team's pressing game is impressive too, but...the football I've seen Bilbao play this season has added some doubts

Laurent Blanc for me is an absolute no no, I really hope we don't go for him :4_joy: 

Unzue could potentially turn out to be great, he's been with the club for 12 years now and well, he's an unknown quantity, he could be a masterstroke, or he could fail. It's a risk, and one that COULD turn out to be worth it

Koeman, the legend, the only man we could get right now that's in the same league as Luis Enrique in terms of his love for Barcelona and the fact that he bleeds Blaugrana. However, is his style of play really what we want? I don't like to watch his Everton. 

The guy I would love, and the guy I view as perfect for the job, is Oscar Garcia. A Cruyff disciple, he plays really nice, passing and attacking football, is more of a Barcelona man than guys like Valverde and Blanc....I really hope it's Garcia. 

2 hours ago, Messiesta said:

To be very honest the obvious options you hear bandied about as the main contenders aren't all that great really...Valverde played really good football in his first two seasons at Bilbao, and his team's pressing game is impressive too, but...the football I've seen Bilbao play this season has added some doubts

Laurent Blanc for me is an absolute no no, I really hope we don't go for him :4_joy: 

Unzue could potentially turn out to be great, he's been with the club for 12 years now and well, he's an unknown quantity, he could be a masterstroke, or he could fail. It's a risk, and one that COULD turn out to be worth it

Koeman, the legend, the only man we could get right now that's in the same league as Luis Enrique in terms of his love for Barcelona and the fact that he bleeds Blaugrana. However, is his style of play really what we want? I don't like to watch his Everton. 

The guy I would love, and the guy I view as perfect for the job, is Oscar Garcia. A Cruyff disciple, he plays really nice, passing and attacking football, is more of a Barcelona man than guys like Valverde and Blanc....I really hope it's Garcia. 

First of all, good to see you here mate.

On the Óscar García point...  He is one of the people many Barça fans want to be honest and I share your views on him although the Barcelona setup with the players it has doesn't lend itself well to someone they don't respect in terms of what he's achieved as a coach.  I don't share that view let it be said, but that's the way it is and there's no point in pointing back to when Pep Guardiola got the job because his status at the club was one that Óscar doesn't reach.  All the same, there's no reason why it couldn't work because he's from the Barcelona schools and knows the club inside out plus he is offering a very Barça type brand of football everywhere he's been as a coach.

I also don't want Laurent Blanc at all as I just don't see it being a good appointment and as for Ernesto Valverde...  In character he is exactly what Barça need and I can see why he is one of the favourites for the job.  It's not just his very diplomatic stance on things when in front of the media (something Luis Enrique can't do as he hates the press) but his football is of a very high quality.

The one I would choose is Quique Setién.  For m he has all the ingredients to be a Barça coach and has built himself up the right way also showing loyalty while at CD Lugo for many years.

I think Pochettino would be a good appointment but I think he's happy at Spurs and wants to take them to the next level before he moves on. 

Koeman is a good shout too but I still think there's question marks over him as a manager.

5 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Good to see you over here, I take it you got my PM? :D

Aha yeah man, I did, thanks for letting me know :4_joy::12_slight_smile:

3 hours ago, Toony said:

I think Pochettino would be a good appointment but I think he's happy at Spurs and wants to take them to the next level before he moves on. 

Koeman is a good shout too but I still think there's question marks over him as a manager.

Pochettino is an Espanyol man through and through and has even recently came out and said something to the effect of Xavi is his enemy, so even though I'd love it if we got him, that isn't going to happen 

3 hours ago, Asura said:

Im hearing rumours about Tuchel. 

He's probably perfect, but unlikely as well. I love watching Dortmund under him. And I loved how passionate he spoke about us after the 6-1 comeback too, that was really touching. 

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

First of all, good to see you here mate.

On the Óscar García point...  He is one of the people many Barça fans want to be honest and I share your views on him although the Barcelona setup with the players it has doesn't lend itself well to someone they don't respect in terms of what he's achieved as a coach.  I don't share that view let it be said, but that's the way it is and there's no point in pointing back to when Pep Guardiola got the job because his status at the club was one that Óscar doesn't reach.  All the same, there's no reason why it couldn't work because he's from the Barcelona schools and knows the club inside out plus he is offering a very Barça type brand of football everywhere he's been as a coach.

I also don't want Laurent Blanc at all as I just don't see it being a good appointment and as for Ernesto Valverde...  In character he is exactly what Barça need and I can see why he is one of the favourites for the job.  It's not just his very diplomatic stance on things when in front of the media (something Luis Enrique can't do as he hates the press) but his football is of a very high quality.

The one I would choose is Quique Setién.  For m he has all the ingredients to be a Barça coach and has built himself up the right way also showing loyalty while at CD Lugo for many years.

I get what you said about Blanc, but on the pitch he reminds me a lot of Tata in that PSG played a lot of sterile, sideways passing possession football under him haha :4_joy:  Quique would also be a great shout, yes 

4 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Why is Pizzi on the list?

Because he is one that's very highly thought of by the technical side of the boardroom.  He obviously knows Barça well because he played for them and they feel he has all the ingredients to be a coach at the Camp Nou.  He has infact been contacted by the club from what I understand and is high on the list.

15 minutes ago, Toony said:

As Messiesta said, he would never coach Barça.  Pochettino is an Espanyol fanatic and that would be sacrilege if he moved there.  He said so himself a few weeks back when he was spotted having dinner in Barcelona with the Barça president.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

When did you start hearing things mate? :ph34r:

Haha pardon my english, I should have said "I read a rumour"

1 hour ago, Messiesta said:

He's probably perfect, but unlikely as well. I love watching Dortmund under him. And I loved how passionate he spoke about us after the 6-1 comeback too, that was really touching. 

I saw his recent interview with fox sports where he didnt want comment if he will still be the manager for dortmund, one thing is for sure that he wont be with dortmund nex season.  @SirBalon you should protest nude outside emirates demanding the board to replace wenger with tuchel mate :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Asura said:

you should protest nude outside emirates demanding the board to replace wenger with tuchel mate :ph34r:

I've been banned from roaming around The Emirates naked mate.  I have no idea why they're so anti-nature. :ph34r:

Archived