talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rookie of the Year

football forum

Who Should be the 2019 F1 Rookie of the Year  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the 2019 F1 Rookie of the Year?

• Albon (TR & RB)
    • Norris (McLaren)
    • Russell (Williams)

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Lando for me although that's really a tough choice and you can put up an argument for any of them. Lando's almost as quick as his more experienced teammate most of the time and the transition to F1 seems to come very naturally for him. He's very fast but maybe lacks consistency a little bit. Alex is a bit less gifted overall I think but he's done very well to survive little pre-season testing and then being thrown into a new car in the middle of his debut season. Good racecraft but he's a bit lacking in speed I think. I still maintain that Russell is the best and the most rounded of them but sadly he can't show it in that Williams matchbox.

I think it's safe to say though that all three is one the best group of rookies to ever enter Formula One at the same time.

Lando for sure. But it's a bit of a shame that we see the GP2 winner who finished the series ahead of Lando in a crappy Williams. George is probably the best driver out of those three, but he wasn't able to show it. Still big props to Alex who did a very good job before and after his promotion. 

We'll probably enjoy the hell out of all three of them in the future. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

I actually vote for Russell.

Lando is very likeable and has a lot of hype around him, mostly deserved, but he's also shown a tendency to slip back in races after qualifying well and has been dominated by his team-mate for the last half of the season. Sainz has been excellent this season, but it's hard to call him an elite driver when he was beaten by Hulkenberg the last two years at Renault.

Albon has done well, he was about neck and neck with Kvyat, possibly edging it in most races but behind on points because of Kvyat's podium in Germany. He has done better than Gasly against Max but nothing more than what you'd expect from a decent rookie.

Russell has the easiest team-mate battle on the grid but strikes me as the most consistent throughout the season. He hasn't had a single track where he's fallen short of expectation and whenever Williams have been close enough to nick a place off a Haas or a Toro Rosso in qualifying or the race, he's been right there.

Archived