• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Were you ever a heavy drinker?

football forum

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Yeah same, uni days were stupidly bad looking back. Especially first year as expected though.

Nowadays mostly have a few drinks at the weekend watching the football and the occasional Friday night with family or friends/work nights out.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Just curious if any of you went through a period where you were drinking really heavily. 

In this city I'd be surprised to not find most IT professionals in their early 20s all the way to their mid 30s not under a table somewhere over the weekend. 

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Used to go out for like 4 days out of the 7 in a week and get pretty smashed. One thing i didn't practice is day drinking, don't like to drink during the day. Probably the reason i never became an alcoholic.

I’d say 4 days a week getting smashed was a definition of alcoholism. Definitely.

Even in my prime I was 1-2 days a week incredibly drunk, like couldn’t walk or talk. Good times. 

For the record, day drinking is the best thing ever. 

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I’d say 4 days a week getting smashed was a definition of alcoholism. Definitely.

Even in my prime I was 1-2 days a week incredibly drunk, like couldn’t walk or talk. Good times. 

For the record, day drinking is the best thing ever. 

If smashed means couldn't walk and talk drunk that wasn't my case of smashed. Heavily drunk but pretty functional if that makes sense.

• Subscriber

A bit like everyone else. Quite heavy during Uni days but nowadays it is just a casual drink sometimes with work or a pint watching football. Nothing too heavy now. I don't think I'd be able to stomach it.

• Subscriber

Not so much nowadays with my health issues but once upon a time years back when I worked a 12-hour shift and nearly every Sat/Sunday morning's I could easily sink down 4 cans of lager and a litre bottle of wine, hit the sack around mid-night and get up for work the next day around 05.00 and do a full days work.

Mind you the factory I worked in was a tyre re-mould place and the temperatures were over 30c all year round and you could sweat your hangover off quickly plus it was hard work and all the guys in there were like me, piss heads and workaholics. xD

I don't think so really. In my early uni days I would drink a lot when I went out - I used to have a pretty high tolerance so to actually get black-out drunk (which I was always aiming for) took a pretty serious amount. But at most I'd be out once a week. Very occasionally I'd be out twice, but then I'd probably stay in the next weekend.

These days I rarely am out like a normal night out, and even when I am I find it hard to enjoy myself after more than 6-7 drinks. 

It used to be nearly everyday with the boys, quite a lot mind you. Nowadays it's still very frequent but a lot less in quantity. Before, it'd be at least a slab for each day of the weekend and now it's maybe one or two standard drinks a night, if I do have a drink. Culturally it is very normal to start drinking around 5/6pm when everyone finishes work and heads down to the local, or when you've finally gotten home. I don't feel it is the same in the USA at all, they tend to drink a lot less in general. It is very damning to live in a culture with such a different attitude towards drinking. Maybe it's because the youngsters I'm around don't really touch they stuff unless they are 'partying' and then I don't really enjoy how young Americans party (think about it, they are 21 and just legal and I'm 25 , so what they are doing and how they are acting was nearly a decade ago for me), I loathe drinking games like beer pong, I'd rather play cards, pool, or chat.

Really, I miss my mates back home that I could have a quiet few with, I cannot stand parties, especially with 'young' people, I have no time to cunts, pricks, wankers, and whatnot. I'm an grumpy prick and I just want to hang with my mates that I've known since I can remember. I'm sure it'd be fun to a have a few schooeys with some of the members on here but that is only because a lot of us share mutual interests, which is something I find lacking in my American generational cohorts.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't class myself as a 'heavy' drinker but drank plenty during my youth mid twenties at parties/functions and out with mates in general etc... hardly drunk much at all since my 30's and been drinking less and less as the years roll by, don't know why?? never been so smashed I couldn't walk properly or anything silly like that and if out with mates which is rare these days I will still make the most of it.. B| love cracking one open occasionally on a warm summers night out in the garden at the end of shift once in a while and enjoying the peace and quite out by the pond.. One might have thought having the Grandkids living with us that I might have been inclined to drink more.. xD

4 hours ago, MUFC said:

Did anyone drink much Monday to Thursday during the working week? When I used to work at the bank. Some used to watch mid-week games and get smashed lol.

Not when working. I do have a little habit of a beer or two on those nights. 

4 hours ago, MUFC said:

Did anyone drink much Monday to Thursday during the working week? When I used to work at the bank. Some used to watch mid-week games and get smashed lol.

Yeah, I still do and then have to nurse horrible hangovers at work.

I really should drink less tbh.

Archived