talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

13 Reasons Why

football forum

• Subscriber

Anybody watched this? Occurred to me in light of the Aaron Lennon thread.

It's about a girl who kills herself and leaves a bunch of tapes behind for her classmates to listen to to understand what role they played in leading her to it. It is based on a book but, to my knowledge, not based on a real life story.

It's quite dark really. Some people have praised it for being "brave" enough to put the discussion out there about teenage mental health problems and suicide. Others have criticised it because in some ways it portrays her actions (suicide and leaving the tapes behind) as her having the last laugh, and argue that it glamorises suicide in this sense.

As a teacher of teenagers I can see both sides of the argument but I would be concerned about vulnerable teenagers watching this and getting ideas, though ultimately you wouldn't expect them to make big decisions based on a show they see on Netflix.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

have wanted to start watching this but not got round to it. everyone at work I've spoken to about it highly recommends it. 

• Subscriber

Wrote this in the other thread - Yeah, I watched it all a few weeks back. It's very marmite - I enjoyed it but I know others that hated it. It's quite slow at times, and the issue of mental health can be a difficult one to portray but I think they did a good job with it and you certainly feel some connection with the characters. Certainly worth a watch

The dialogue is corny as fuck and downright cringeworthy in the earlier episodes, but gets better as each episode progresses and some of the acting is very good. I can see both sides to this ethical issue, and in light of all this I hope it does bring the message for parents and staff to get more involved with students, as well as a message towards teenagers not to get too caught up in high school. It's 4 years of your life, it's not the end of the world as you have a whole life ahead of you. Depression is a whole other issue which belongs with parents and school staff getting more involved. 

Lots of talk about a second season in the making. 

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the first episode today, and I really liked it. It's intriguing, the acting is good and I loved the soundtrack. Will watch one or two more episodes tonight, and I usually hate binge watching. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Three episodes in and I still like it! But that Bruno Mars looking fellow is always in his damn car. 

Kids were asking me about this at school after I said I'd watched it, described him as "the guy who looks like Bruno Mars", uncanny.

13reasonswhy-hplg.jpg

Okay, so I'm six episodes in. Is everyone fucking gay? I mean, I'm not against that and all, but this show is like a SJW's wet dream. A gay Latino, a lesbian Asian with two gay fathers, interracial couples, more random gay people... talk about trying too hard. That being said, I still like the show though. The acting is pretty good, the story is intriguing and I like the soundtrack! Oh and it has two actors from Lost in it, which is always a plus! 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Okay, so I'm six episodes in. Is everyone fucking gay? I mean, I'm not against that and all, but this show is like a SJW's wet dream. A gay Latino, a lesbian Asian with two gay fathers, interracial couples, more random gay people... talk about trying too hard. That being said, I still like the show though. The acting is pretty good, the story is intriguing and I like the soundtrack! Oh and it has two actors from Lost in it, which is always a plus! 

Jacob B|

8 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Sometimes I feel like writers shoehorn 'LGBT' people into shows for no reason at all besides 'inclusion'. Hey look this character is gay even though it has no bearing on the story, character, or anything at all! Look how progressive we are.  It's that type of thinking, the type that treats gays as 'special' that prevents them from being fully normalised and accepted into society. It's almost dehumanising.

2 hours ago, adziom said:

Jacob B|

I was surprised to see him in such a small role. Pretty cool though. Now I'm waiting for the Man in Black to show up. 

• 4 months later...

Watched it and loved it.  Yes,  it's a bit cringey at times (especially the dialogues),  but overall they have handled the story well. Top Ost,  as well. 

I also don't agree with some of the criticism directed towards the show. Teenagers,  especially boys,  need to see this show.  Would stop them from being arseholes. 

How short was that Bruno Mars lookalike?  When he lines up with the other kids in the corridor after that speech by Clay,  he looked really tiny. 

He was cool though. 

On 20/05/2017 at 1:41 PM, Tsubasa said:

Three episodes in and I still like it! But that Bruno Mars looking fellow is always in his damn car. 

23 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

How short was that Bruno Mars lookalike? 

5' 7" (1.70 m) according to imdb. But yea, he was probably my favourite character in the show. The bro I never had :'(

Oh, I totally forgot that he was gay on the show, that was a bit odd as well. Like, okay, this character will probably be a favourite of the viewers. Let's make him SUPERGAY! The whole gay theme felt so forced and LGBT oriented to me. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Season 2 released this Friday on Netflix 

I wonder how many 'gay' people they will include in this season. Wonder if any transgenders make any cameos just to appeal to the mad craze that are SJW''s. 

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Season 2 released this Friday on Netflix 

I wonder how many 'gay' people they will include in this season. Wonder if any transgenders make any cameos just to appeal to the mad craze that are SJW''s. 

I think not having a gay person in a programme about a school is a bit weird no? Near enough every year group of anyone I've ever met had at least one gay person..

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think not having a gay person in a programme about a school is a bit weird no? Near enough every year group of anyone I've ever met had at least one gay person..

Except they had a good three or four. 

The amount of gay people that suddenly popped up in the first season made me laugh sometimes. Especially the Asian lesbian with two gay dads or whatever it was. It's like "fuck, we only have three characters left in the script, which of them should be gay?" - "Ummmmm, all.....of.....them?!". 

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

The amount of gay people that suddenly popped up in the first season made me laugh sometimes. Especially the Asian lesbian with two gay dads or whatever it was. It's like "fuck, we only have three characters left in the script, which of them should be gay?" - "Ummmmm, all.....of.....them?!". 

I fully expect Clay to become a transgender this season 

Archived