talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

13 Reasons Why

football forum

• Administrator

ended up binging on this 2nd series after eventually getting past the first 2-3 episodes which were quite slow.

the novelty of the 1st series helps that it got such rave reviews and such attention in the first place. Like an artist/bands second album it's always going to be hard to replicate success of the first and the same happens here. This 2nd series does improve as it gets towards the end, it picks up after about episode 5 or 6 so halfway through.

Some of the 'kids' do well to continue conveying the issues of the characters i.e. rape victims, mental health, bullying and harassment victims etc.

not gonna lie, I fucking shed a few tears in the final episode when they're finally saying goodbye to Hannah at her service. think cos I can relate after a friend took his life at school about 10 years ago and it just brought back tons of memories of when that news broke and just being frozen at the thought of it.

Also, the scenes of what Monty does to Tyler is mega fucked up. Think they went a bit OTT on that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else want to punch Clay in the face? 

Will always prefer the 1st season but this one was alright. Far too slow for my liking but the ending was decent. 

As expected, a lot more gays. But I think it just serves a part of the whole message in general. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Anyone else want to punch Clay in the face? 

Will always prefer the 1st season but this one was alright. Far too slow for my liking but the ending was decent. 

As expected, a lot more gays. But I think it just serves a part of the whole message in general. 

Sometimes, yes xD. Something can be staring him directly in the face and he'll still miss it. Maybe that's done on purpose :what:. The complexities of teenage life in a school/environment like that and you end up not being able to see the obvious because of all the other shit that goes on.

Regarding the amount of gay people in the show - not sure why it matters so much. Perhaps there's so many because they want to normalise it and serve part of the message of the whole show. Having just one makes it look like they're doing it as a token kind of thing. Having several goes to show that life can go on even though you could be surrounded by them :/ 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sometimes, yes xD. Something can be staring him directly in the face and he'll still miss it. Maybe that's done on purpose :what:. The complexities of teenage life in a school/environment like that and you end up not being able to see the obvious because of all the other shit that goes on.

Regarding the amount of gay people in the show - not sure why it matters so much. Perhaps there's so many because they want to normalise it and serve part of the message of the whole show. Having just one makes it look like they're doing it as a token kind of thing. Having several goes to show that life can go on even though you could be surrounded by them :/ 

It's what I figured. 

Typically, I hate it when shows or films blatantly twist or display something in eagerness to appeal a certain group. (Still can't get over the "black" Achillies in that Troy show on Netflix) 

Given the show is primarily about depression, and how to tackle the signs early on with family, friends, and even the school getting invovled, adding homosexual characters will give more of relatable viewing towards the gay audience who may or may not feel outcasted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I've almost finished season two, I have to be honest I groaned when they said they'd follow up with a second season of this but it's been surprisingly good, a lot of good young actors as well.

On 24/05/2018 at 09:19, Cicero said:

It's what I figured. 

Typically, I hate it when shows or films blatantly twist or display something in eagerness to appeal a certain group. (Still can't get over the "black" Achillies in that Troy show on Netflix) 

Given the show is primarily about depression, and how to tackle the signs early on with family, friends, and even the school getting invovled, adding homosexual characters will give more of relatable viewing towards the gay audience who may or may not feel outcasted. 

Do you get annoyed about all the white British actors in Greek and Egyptian based films? Or up in arms when there's a token black person in a film set in London? Brad Pitt was Achillice, my Yeeros made in Australia looks more Greek than him. And sounds it too because it doesn't  speak English. What about the series on Netflix that managed to force a white main character in the fucking Yakuza 😂 They could have just used an American born Japanese character, but no he has to be white. Look at Liam Neeson, he played RA'S AL GHUL....LIAM NEESON LOL.

Youre just used to seeing specific standards set on film and television that for years have outcast black and ethnic minorities from specific roles because they've been for white British or white Americans actors, even if these actors don't fit the ethnic bill either. But the moment a black man turns up in a historically pale white mans role about a Greek soldier who all speak English anyway people start getting picky over who they'd like to watch 😂

And the same thing is happening with gay people in this series, gay characters are always underrepresented so the moment you start to see more you thinks it's weird and forced rather than it being a normal thing which it is at school, I could count the amount of gay kids in my year alone and it'd be as many as are in this series, set in a gigantic school in America which is about 5 times the size of your average school in England.

If it helps, I think this whole series is horrifically middle American, "like ya she so totally killed herself Stacey" that I just can't watch the second series.

I have just finished the first series this week and I must admit I enjoyed it in a guilty way. Anything American high school related thats not an American Pie style comedy doesn't really interest me, but the missus got me to watch this and I remained keen. They done well to gradually build up the characters, albeit the stuff around Clay in the tapes was predictable and shit.

Also I've seen some pretty messed up shit in my time but even the scene where she cut her wrists made me tense inside.

Regarding the varying diverse cast - I did mention this to my Girlfriend on the episode where the ugly chinese bird who is a lesbian and has two gay dad's. Then again when Tony was gay. I imagine more kids at schools are 'out' in contrast to when I was at school but it all seemed like they were trying to tick every box.

I enjoyed the first series, but I'm not sure I will watch the second series any time soon. The tapes are out in the public domain now and we know the thirteen reasons why she killed herself. I haven't really got much time for the court proceedings and the kid with shit loads of guns.

10 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Watched 13 minutes of the second season and realized why I didn't get past the first episode of the first season, shitty 

Why would you watch the 2nd season of a show where you haven't seen the 1st season of? :dam:

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Watched 13 minutes of the second season and realized why I didn't get past the first episode of the first season, shitty 

43 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Why would you watch the 2nd season of a show where you haven't seen the 1st season of? :dam:

yeah that's pretty odd.

If anything you might as well watch all of the first season and none of the second season.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator
Just now, Cicero said:

When is season 3 damnit. 

Really?

I thought they should have stopped at season 1.

The 2nd season was a bit of a let down.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Really?

I thought they should have stopped at season 1.

The 2nd season was a bit of a let down.

I enjoyed it. Wasn't as good as the 1st. However, the actor that plays Clay tweeted this

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I enjoyed it. Wasn't as good as the 1st. However, the actor that plays Clay tweeted this

Interesting. I'll watch it for sure but I hope it goes back to the intrigue of 1st season as opposed to the over-the-top season 2.

• Subscriber

I will watch it, I was pleasantly surprised by season 2 but I don't think they'll be able to pull it off again. My prediction is that after Season 3 you'll have an internet full of people screaming that they should have let it be at Season 1 or 2.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Didn't realise the new season was so imminent. Got through the first 4 episodes yesterday, it's a very exaggerated and over dramatic portrayal of life in high school, but I guess it's good that they confront the issues. Already been through abortion, female masturbation and recovering from rape trauma so far so they aren't wasting any time. Not a fan of the new girl and how nosy and over-involved she is but I suppose that's necessary for the way they've chosen to tell the story this time.

The guy who plays Bryce is a really good actor by the way.

Overall I want to know what happens as I'm invested in the characters but I still worry about teenagers watching this series thinking that this cocktail of dramatic and extreme high school situations is normal behaviour.

It’s very good, probably the best season. Deeper look in not only the victims of rape, but the rapist as well and their path towards redemption. 

The new girl and that extreme feminist were definitely the fan favorites 

• Subscriber
On 25/08/2019 at 15:03, Cicero said:

It’s very good, probably the best season. Deeper look in not only the victims of rape, but the rapist as well and their path towards redemption. 

The new girl and that extreme feminist were definitely the fan favorites 

The loud one with glasses? Thought she was really annoying personally.

It was a good season though now I'm finished, the murder mystery thing was an interesting new spin and it worked well. 

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The loud one with glasses? Thought she was really annoying personally.

It was a good season though now I'm finished, the murder mystery thing was an interesting new spin and it worked well. 

I was being sarcastic mate. 

Archived