talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pochettino Sacked by Spurs; Replaced by Jose Mourinho

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d say it’s a calculated risk from Spurs, hence the 2-3 year deal only. 

I firmly believe Spurs have a current squad Mourinho can work with, one that’s ready made. Spurs need to, no matter what success he brings, not extend his contract past 3 seasons. 

51 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Piers Morgan makes me laugh, for over a year he was ranting on about Wenger should leave Arsenal as he was past his sell-by date when he was still manager, now he thinks Emery is good for the gunners, he doesn't like Spurs hiring Wenger though, I think he is jealous.   xD

Piers Morgan is one of the biggest wankers known to mankind! A talentless piece of shit that bemuses me as to how on earth he's managed to make a living from the media.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Piers Morgan is one of the biggest wankers known to mankind! A talentless piece of shit that bemuses me as to how on earth he's managed to make a living from the media.

The wife watches the ITV show in the morning when he is on there but any chance I get (if she goes for a shower or her big sis calls for a natter} I will switch the tv over, the guy thinks he is the bees-knees of the media circuit, I would love him to go on ' I am a celebrity, get me out of here' and I would get the wife to vote for him every time there is a bush tuckers trial thing and watch him try and eat insects or whatnot. xD.    

I'm interested to see how this pans out, because this is the kind of situation I've always wanted to see how Mourinho would fare in: one where he's not at one of the financial powerhouse clubs in the league. Because at Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid, Chelsea again, and Manchester United you're talking about clubs that are always amongst the biggest spenders in the league.

Spurs aren't poor - but they're definitely working with different budgetary constraints than the other English clubs he's managed. It'll be a new sort of challenge for him. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

1 hour ago, Asura said:

Forget everything, a couple of trophies are guaranteed for spurs..... im sure they would take that over pochettino's no silverware despite him doing wonders with what he had in the last few years. 

Mourinho has always gone to clubs that are one of the biggest in their country. I wouldn't say trophies are guaranteed

With lofty ambitions and another Serie A title in the cabinet, Moratti had made the right call in the following summer. Perhaps he recognised from Mourinho’s time at Chelsea that not backing his manager would do him and the club no good, and he chose to support the Portuguese fully in the summer. What was to come was a revolution, and the fruit that followed was wonderful.

Ibrahimović always cited his love for Barcelona. In July 2009, he signed for the Catalan club. Inter’s best outlet in front of goal had gone, thinking that he had a greater chance of winning the Champions League. In a good deal, Samuel Eto’o moved the other way, and this was a trade that impressed Mourinho as he added a versatile replacement and got a few extra million in the transfer kitty.

“To me, that seems like an incredible deal, a deal worth €100 million, the deal of the summer. Kaká 70 [million euros – his transfer fee to Real Madrid that summer], Cristiano Ronaldo 96. For me, this is worth €100 million because Eto’o is not worth even one euro less than Ibra,” said an uncomplimentary Mourinho to Gazzetta dello Sport.

It could be said that the Swede had every right to feel as though he had a greater chance to achieve European success at Barcelona. They had the best manager in the world in Pep Guardiola, the best player in the world in Lionel Messi and they were the European champions themselves, having dazzled the world with their incredible football over the previous 12 months. (:rofl: the goddamn IRONY!! Zlatan was too blind to notice how bad he was downgrading)

What Ibrahimović couldn’t see was that change was set to take place and there was massive interest from Mourinho and Moratti to adjust their position and make Inter a superpower. In addition to Eto’o, Diego Milito was signed from Genoa to be the more direct replacement in attack and become the side’s primary goalscorer. Thiago Motta also came in from Genoa and was thought to be a good complement to Cambiasso in midfield.

In attack, Goran Pandev was brought in from Lazio to add more grit and persistence down the wings, while Wesley Sneijder, whose career was stalling at Real Madrid, was the cream of the crop that summer and his acquisition lit up most eyes. To support their defensive frailties, Lúcio, the experienced Brazilian centre-half, was brought in as Inter wanted to prevent injury issues from haunting them, like the previous campaign.

To signal how massive this summer was, it was worth noting the players that left as well. Figo went into retirement, Viera moved back to England to join the gleaming project at Manchester City, Burdisso was loaned out to Roma while Mancini stayed in Milan, swapping blue for red and going to AC Milan on a temporary deal. An overhaul was needed to challenge, and an overhaul was what Moratti gave Mourinho.

https://footballchronicle.co/2019/10/21/jose-mourinho-inter-milan-and-a-story-of-success/

4 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Zlatan was too blind to notice how bad he was downgrading)

Well Barcelona won the Champion League the season before Zlatan went to the club, then again the season after he left, while Inter also won a treble the year after he left.

Held Barcelona back that season in the Champs league if anything. Villa should have been signed a year earlier. It was actually Barcelona who downgraded by swapping Eto'o for him.

30 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mourinho has always gone to clubs that are one of the biggest in their country. I wouldn't say trophies are guaranteed

I wont bet against him winning atleast an FA cup or something like that

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf I think it was your players fault that Ranieri got the axe. Same with Poch mind you. Players that down tools are scum.

Ranieri lost the plot tbh. The vibe from those in the know is that the players largely weren't keen on Puel, but with Ranieri it was a sad realisation that he'd completely lost the plot and was acting totally irrationally. Never totally bought that they tried to get him sacked but something clearly went very wrong, very quickly under him.

At least Spurs have a proven winner taking over and I would expect the players to pick themselves up and respond to him in the opening 5 or 6 games at the very least, If they can settle on his tactics early on then expect them to be back pushing for a top 4 slot.. It will be interesting to see how both the club and Mourinho get on with the finances... as has been mentioned already Spurs are not the sort of club that throw money around for the sake of it so will they back him in the transfer market?? I also wonder how many players out of the current squad Mourinho feels happy with and which of those he may decide to offload.. 

You have to wonder what the objectives are for the season now with an 11 point gap, totally reliant on somebody slipping up and that's without even factoring in Arsenal & United's outside chance of doing that themselves. 

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Chelsea - hadn’t won the title since 1955

Inter - hasn’t won the UCL since 1965

Real - hadnt won the title vs Barca for 3 years

Porto - one title in 4 seasons prior, and 20 years since last UCL

Mourinho has always gone to clubs that give him a challenge... i can only imagine what the haters would be saying if he had underachieved with Bayern and Man citeh like a certain someone has..(both clubs were after the CL and the bald headed cunt has failed. Without Frank R. help, he wouldn't even be close to Don Jose M. ). 

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

If you’re using that argument then Don Jose M. wouldn’t of been as successful with us if it weren’t for Ranieri for setting up the foundation...

Tbf a lot of the best players that came in that transfer window where Mourinho joined Chelsea were actually players Ranieri wanted to sign - so that's not a bad shout tbh.

21 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Chelsea - hadn’t won the title since 1955

Inter - hasn’t won the UCL since 1965

Real - hadnt won the title vs Barca for 3 years

Porto - one title in 4 seasons prior, and 20 years since last UCL

Mourinho has always gone to clubs that give him a challenge... i can only imagine what the haters would be saying if he had underachieved with Bayern and Man citeh like a certain someone has..(both clubs were after the CL and the bald headed cunt has failed. Without Frank R. help, he wouldn't even be close to Don Jose M. ). 

Chelsea had massive investment. Hardly comparible to before.

Winning the champions League with inter was a great achievement. But you wouldn't have to be a world class manager to win the league with inter at the time.

Won 1 in 3 titles at real Madrid.

Winning the champions League with Porto was incredible. Most top manager's would win the league with Porto. Not saying it isn't good but you don't have to be a world class manager to win the league with Porto.

Guardiola hasn't failed at city. Mourinho was one of the best coaches ever in his day. But guardiola is clearly better now.

• The title was changed to Pochettino Sacked by Spurs; Replaced by Jose Mourinho

Archived