talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pochettino Sacked by Spurs; Replaced by Jose Mourinho

• Subscriber

I suppose the question now is to ask whether he can keep them in the CL come next season while climbing the table. The jump could be substantial based on results elsewhere over this week considering Spurs are really just 3 points away from being close to 5th/6th right now and a string of wins puts them in a good position to start thinking of how to attack the top 4 as well. 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Stan said:

Also, I didn't realise it was okay to head towards the Championship the season after winning the league, as if we should have just stuck with it. We'd have been even more of a laughing stock had that happened. 

Tbf I think it was your players fault that Ranieri got the axe. Same with Poch mind you. Players that down tools are scum.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf I think it was your players fault that Ranieri got the axe. Same with Poch mind you. Players that down tools are scum.

Perhaps.

Fans naturally got frustrated at a whole plethora of things, not just Ranieri.

Interesting to see what happens with Spurs players - media especially started portraying players as 'snakes'. Wonder if same happens here with Spurs. Wonder if @Teso dos Bichos will as well as he was quite vocal about our players and has a weird dislike for us. But as he bums Jose I very much doubt we'll see the same attitude...

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I agree on that "Judas" point because there are many indicatives as to why this is the case aside from his own words which are testament to how he thinks football.

Josep Maria Bartomeu (FC Barcelona President) had dinner with Mauricio Pochettino one week after then then Barça coach Luis Enrique informed the board of the club that he would be stepping down at the end of that campaign. That dinner meeting in Barcelona was all about the possibility of Pochettino taking over at the start of the following campaign and with a project at his disposal, which is something all coaches want plus the added factor of going to one of the biggest football clubs on the planet with untold resources. He said no! He said he couldn't betray his RCD Espanyol past which is massive and is a part of him after spending so many years at that club. He later on went onto deny it was about the possibility of becoming Barcelona coach as did Bartomeu but everyone knows that was exactly what it was all about.

He has said various times that he could never coach either Barcelona or Arsenal and as much as I would like it not to be true, the football side of me does indeed want it to be like that... I want there to still remain real football people with ethics based around the care for how fans feel. 

Barcelona were also serious about hiring Mourinho at one point, met up with him and talked about his plans for the club. In the end, they decided against him because of some of his behaviour and antics off the pitch which wasn't right for the club.  Mourinho himself admitted that he would never change his behaviour off the pitch and Barcelona looked elsewhere and got Pep. This was back when the key decision-makers at Barca were making good decisions, a great contrast to what's happening nowadays over there.

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’d love to see Poch say fuck you to spurs and sign with Arsenal. But he is destined for either Madrid or Utd. Possibly Bayern too. 

I don’t think he’d do that out of respect to the Spurs fans that love him.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think he’d do that out of respect to the Spurs fans that love him.

Oh I don’t think it would happen. As much as it would be nice to rub it in Levy and the players faces, it’s the fans it affects most like you say. 

20 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Why's that, Arsenal are a bigger club than Spurs so it would be a step up    :ph34r:.

Negligible differences. Spurs more successful in Europe overall, Arsenal domestically. Neither won the biggest European prize or ever been a major force in it. Arsenal wider fanbase but consistently lie about their attendances.

I wouldn't say either was strikingly more attractive than the other for a manager.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I wonder if Mourinho will influence Eriksen, Toby, and Vertonghen all to stay. 

Mourinho wanted Eriksen at Real didn't he? Can assume Eriksen stays if so. Not sure about the defenders. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Also, I didn't realise it was okay to head towards the Championship the season after winning the league, as if we should have just stuck with it. We'd have been even more of a laughing stock had that happened. 

Exactly my point you was absolutely right to get rid. I don't see how we are ungrateful when your club did the exact same thing, Wenger was finished and was rightly moved on. Emery has us 8 points off top 4 with a minus goal difference. AFTV highlights us more but pretty much every club has hounded out managers. 

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Exactly my point you was absolutely right to get rid. I don't see how we are ungrateful when your club did the exact same thing, Wenger was finished and was rightly moved on. Emery has us 8 points off top 4 with a minus goal difference. AFTV highlights us more but pretty much every club has hounded out managers. 

Slightly different scenarios I'd say.

Anyway, I said 'some Arsenal fans are an embarrassment'. Then you came back saying 'no club is perfect' when that's not what I was insinuating!

The reason why I said it went further than 'frustration' was that it went beyond that and seemed disrespectful by some fans. The Wenger Out banners across the stadium. Some fans flew a Wenger Out banner from a plane ffs. 

You're right AFTV highlights you but I don't think it's just restricted to some berks on a YouTube channel. 

• Subscriber

Piers Morgan makes me laugh, for over a year he was ranting on about Wenger should leave Arsenal as he was past his sell-by date when he was still manager, now he thinks Emery is good for the gunners, he doesn't like Spurs hiring Wenger though, I think he is jealous.   xD

10 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Piers Morgan makes me laugh, for over a year he was ranting on about Wenger should leave Arsenal as he was past his sell-by date when he was still manager, now he thinks Emery is good for the gunners, he doesn't like Spurs hiring Wenger though, I think he is jealous.   xD

Piers Morgan is just one of those people who shouldn't be allowed to talk about football. Behind closed doors, in a pub or whatever yes, but he shouldn't be getting coverage for his views, he's a nothing and knows absolutely fuck all.

10 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

He brings you trophies. Ultimately Poch failed at that. His tenure was good, but not as amazingly best ever as some make out. Plus Poch and Spurs have been aided by the massive downfall of Arsenal and United in the League.

Mourinho will do well and probably bring in a trophy, something Spurs aren't used to.

I've heard people say he's a chequebook manager, but he wasn't one of those when winning the Champions League with Porto in his defence.

Once you become a name then you're going to take the bigger jobs, which means you get more money to spend, but I wouldn't say that it was all he was about. He's the type who can get a team playing together, make them tough to beat and very compact. It's not exciting but he hasn't been anywhere yet and not won a trophy.

• The title was changed to Pochettino Sacked by Spurs; Replaced by Jose Mourinho

Archived