Tuesday 19th November, 2019
Latvia vs Austria, 19.45
North Macedonia vs Israel, 19.45
Poland vs Slovenia, 19.45

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m scratching my head at group G qualification.  North Macedonia and Slovenia both had 14 points with Slovenia having a goal difference of +6. (S - F 16, NM - F 12.  S - A 11, NM - A 13).  The official stats say +5.  But they still have a better goal difference.  

The Nations League results surely would come into play in a tie break situation after the goal difference has been taken into account?  

Then Israel, who had 3 points less than Slovenia, have also qualified due to their Nations League result.

Can anyone explain this as it seems unfair to Slovenia and negates their performance in the qualifiers.

Im not a Slovenia fan - just confused?

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Caffer said:

I’m scratching my head at group G qualification.  North Macedonia and Slovenia both had 14 points with Slovenia having a goal difference of +6. (S - F 16, NM - F 12.  S - A 11, NM - A 13).  The official stats say +5.  But they still have a better goal difference.  

The Nations League results surely would come into play in a tie break situation after the goal difference has been taken into account?  

Then Israel, who had 3 points less than Slovenia, have also qualified due to their Nations League result.

Can anyone explain this as it seems unfair to Slovenia and negates their performance in the qualifiers.

Im not a Slovenia fan - just confused?

Was always the case that Nations League performance would be factored in.

North Macedonia out-qualified Slovenia in Nations League (through winning their group). Slovenia finished bottom of theirs. Same as Israel.

Their seedings are higher thanks to that. North Macedonia also have a better head-to-head over Slovenia, which counts before goal difference is taken in to account. 

• The title was changed to Euro 2020 Qualifiers - Group G - Matchday 9 & 10

Archived