talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sam Johnstone Joins Crystal Palace

A bit of a surprising one. Don't get me wrong he's a good goalie but we have two goalkeepers of similar age and quality already at the club.

I presume this means one of two things:

- Vicente Guaita has got an opportunity to go back to Valencia that he wants to take advantage of.

- Jack Butland wants to be a guaranteed first team goalkeeper now he's rediscovered his confidence.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very surprised that someone like Southampton haven't come steamrolling into this one seeing as they let Fraser Forster go on a free and Alex McCarthy was effectively back up last season.

• 3 weeks later...

Four year deal agreed with Sam Johnstone. Announcement expected to be imminent.

Personal terms also agreed with Cheick Doucoure from Lens as a the DM replacement for Kouyate/Luca long term. Just negotiating on fee as Lens value him at €25m.

Another CM and a RB and this has been a good window providing nobody else leaves (other than Kouyate).

On 03/06/2022 at 09:42, Lucas said:

Very surprised that someone like Southampton haven't come steamrolling into this one seeing as they let Fraser Forster go on a free and Alex McCarthy was effectively back up last season.

I expected him to end up there too.

It looks like Jack Butland is off to find first team football. That horror show against Millwall in the FA Cup surprisingly gave him the rocket up the backside he needed to rejuvenate his career. Somebody with promotion aspirations such as Middlesbrough could do a lot worse.

• The title was changed to Sam Johnstone Joins Crystal Palace

Archived