talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gabby Agbonlahor Offered to Play for Free

Gabby Agbonlahor says he offered to play for Aston Villa for free and insists he is not ready to retire.

The former England forward and Villa's record Premier League goalscorer was ready to help the club in its hour of need before a summer takeover.

He left the club in the summer, 14 years after his debut, having made 391 appearances and scoring 86 goals - 75 times in the top flight.

Villa's failure to return to the Premier League following a 1-0 Sky Bet Championship play-off final defeat to Fulham in May left them struggling financially under former owner Tony Xia.

Before Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens bought a 55 per cent stake in the club in July, Agbonlahor - who had already turned down approaches from the Championship and SPL - offered to play for nothing.

"I was aware a couple of strikers had what seemed to be long-term injuries and everyone knew the club had financial
difficulties, so I asked my agent to speak with Steve Bruce and make the offer I would play for free," he said.

"There were no strings attached, I didn't want paying, no appearance money, nothing, it was a genuine offer to help the club I love.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived