talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Datro Fofana - Chelsea Close to Signing Molde Striker

football forum

• The title was changed to David Datro Fofana - Chelsea Close to Signing Molde Striker
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be interesting to see a big rich club take the approach that Southampton used in recent years, and many other clubs do. Where instead of going after "prem proven" players, they take a shotgun approach to signing lots of promising young players looking to make their name on a bigger stage. I know why more big clubs don't do it - because typically the prices they end up paying are far more than they would be for smaller clubs and it's a bit of a gamble whether these players hit the ground running or not... and competing against clubs that have big resources that can get signings right more often than not doesn't leave a lot of room for clubs to make mistakes (because not every promising young player is going to be as great as others when they do make the step up).

If this pans out for Chelsea in the long run, it could be a bargain for them. On the other hand, if he's not ready it could just be another young promising player moving to Chelsea, only to spend much of the formulative years of his career on loan or rotting on the bench not developing.

In any case, I'm all in favour of Chelsea and other big clubs making signings that are more sustainable than the insane and grotesque amounts that are paid for established and "proven" players.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived