talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Igor Thiago Signs For Brentford

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/14/brentford-announce-30m-signing-of-club-brugge-striker-igor-thiago

I don’t think a topic was ever made for this, but this is our Ivan Toney replacement that we ended up signing from Brugge as the Nusa deal went sour.

I’ve only seen highlights and physically he looks like a Toney replacement, but the thing that strikes me is that he has more pace to run in behind than Toney does which makes me think he will suit our 4-3-3 more so than our 3-5-2, though imagine he could do both.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing Toney will send Brentford down next season. I wouldn't be totally confident signing a striker from the Belgium league would give you the required quality to replace Toney. 

I know you've done half a season without him this season but you are sat just above the relegation zone and taking out that sort of quality is surely have a huge effect going forward. 

11 minutes ago, Devil said:

Losing Toney will send Brentford down next season. I wouldn't be totally confident signing a striker from the Belgium league would give you the required quality to replace Toney. 

I know you've done half a season without him this season but you are sat just above the relegation zone and taking out that sort of quality is surely have a huge effect going forward. 

I'm not sure you've really paid attention to our season if you think a lack of Toney alone this season is the reason we're just above relegation zone lol.

The below are considered to be players who make our starting eleven when the squad is mostly fit, only Josh Dasilva will float in and out but often the first to get subbed on if he doesn't start. 6 of the below have missed/will miss at least 50% of all Premier League matches this season, the remaining 2/3 have missed 1/3 of the season. We have had the second worst injury record this season behind Newcastle. We have consistently been playing matches with 5 or 6 of our starting eleven missing. Unless you are in the top 6 or top 4, you will be in a relegation battle if you suffer that amount of injuries.

Rico Henry: 35 games

Aaron Hickey: 30 games

Ben Mee: 21 games

Ethan Pinnock has missed our last 9 games and seems no closer to fitness.

Mikkel Damsgaard: Missed 12 games

Josh Dasilva: 35 games

Bryan Mbeumo: 13 games

Ivan Toney: 19 games

Kevin Schade: 27 games

If despite all of that you still think we'll get relegated without Toney then fair enough, but when the team has been mostly fit without Toney this season we were mid-table with a couple of games where we dominated but didn't win which showed that we still had gears to step in to.

Getting on without Toney will be a new challenge, but we've sold key players before and improved, personally I don't see why we won't do it again.

• 3 weeks later...