talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ismailia Sarr Joins Crystal Palace

Im really disappointed about this. Not because he lacks consistency, but because he outed himself previously as a homophobic when he supported Idrissa Gueye the week that Jake Daniels outed himself as a gay footballer. It's one thing when you have already signed a player in that position, but to actively spend millions on a player like this when you consider all the community work the club does, it's a real shitty move.

I've always been proud of the fact that for generations Crystal Palace have regularly been giving opportunities to young black footballers and as a football club we have taken a zero stance on discrimination. We have presented ourselves with an image of representing about our community for decades and its something i have bought in to. Seeing the way we've behaved this summer, with the dodgy gambling sponsor and hiring an outed homophobe, makes me really embarrassed for thinking we were slightly different to other teams in our position who make it abundantly clear that supporters are customers that don't matter.

I'm intrigued to find out what friends of mine in Proud and Palace (our LGBTQ+ group think) who were upset by Kouyate's "Real Man" bollocks think, but i wont let it influence my thought process. If this materialises that's probably me done. My values and morals I have that I portray on to my son mean more to me than wearing a set of colours out of loyalty. They don't care about us, why should we show unwavering loyalty to them.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing still makes me uncomfortable.

I'm a little surprised all our vocal fans on matters of equality and discrimination online have either forgotten or are taking the birdbox approach. I hope it's the former as messages against racism, homophobia, sexism etc really lose there weight when morals get altered depending on potential benefits.

Either way, whilst it will be hard to completely switch off, I can't see myself supporting a homophobe or wanting a homophobe to do well. So it looks like I'm out.

• Subscriber

Can you really accuse a person of being homophobic though when the factors that have led them there are cultural and religious beliefs from where they grew up?

It's probably a dangerous can of worms to open because most people who are homophobic, sexist, racist, etc. can probably point to environmental factors beyond their control rather than it being a case that they're fundamentally bad or intolerant people.

Should Sarr and Gueye know better? Probably. They've spent most of their adult lives in European countries where they'll have been exposed to open-minded societies to act as a counter to the cultural and religious influences of their youth. I'm just always conscious that it's easy for me to point at homophobes and racists from other cultures when I've grown up in a liberal democracy with normal parents. Yes you should be able to think for yourself by the time you reach adulthood but it also might not be easy to, for example, go onto a football pitch wearing rainbow laces if you know your parents, uncles and aunties back home would be ashamed of you for it.

Probably playing a bit of devil's advocate. To be clear, I'm very much not homophobic and people are entitled to feel as strongly as they want about their football club making decisions like this one.

On 25/07/2024 at 22:01, RandoEFC said:

Can you really accuse a person of being homophobic though when the factors that have led them there are cultural and religious beliefs from where they grew up?

In this circumstance I think you can. These players make no campaign against playing in shirts with gambling sponsors on, but pick the week that Luke Daniels came out as gay to make a stand on playing in LGBTQ+ colours.

I accept its important to understand another's racial beliefs and cultural beliefs, I also think it's important to acknowledge that racial and cultural beliefs don't give you a free pass to behave like this and exclude others.

I have no doubt most, if not all, Premier League clubs are riddled with players you'd not want to work or play with. I'm pretty sure Dejan Lovren didn't suddenly develop all the beliefs he's preached the second he walked out of Anfield. But, it's one thing having a player in your ranks already that you have to manage and then another spending millions on a player who you already know has feelings like this.

The hard internal battle im having is accepting the answer as to why footballers don't come out as gay has been staring us in the face the whole time. It's because people only care up to a certain extent, and that extent ends at the pursuit of success. These clubs will have rainbow flags out, take the knee, promote 'her game too' but when the likes of Partey, Zouma, Enzo, Gueye, Sarr, Kouyate etc exhibit behaviours people either ignore them or try to rationalise them. You can relate that to club owners too. So personally, I'm at a cross roads where I'm asking myself "should I care if others dont?" When I want to care. I'm going to speak to fans who would be directly affected by this but the reality is I'm not sure how I'll feel until Sarr is in a Palace shirt on the pitch.

Dont worry, this will be the final post I make about this internal battle with my conscience ...

I've spoken to a lot of people about this, including people who would have been directly affected by Kouyate's "Real Man" nonsense. There was a lot i hadnt originally considered (being bought up in Senegal, Palace songs vs Brighton 10+ years ago, full context never being clear, PSG's owners themselves, inclusive not exclusive, matter likely resolved internally etc) but i cant say i still feel comfortable about the whole thing. The one overriding takeaway i have from these conversations though was that this isn't a big enough issue for people who would directly be affected by Sarr's previous actions to walk away (or speak openly about) and if they're able to overlook his past behaviour, then why should I be angry on there behalf.

My affection for the club isn't what it was at the start of the summer. Not solely because of this but our sponsor choices and blocking finances to EFL clubs also grate me. If you told me my Son would grow up to support Brighton two months ago I'd tell you to F off. But now, meh, as long as he's happy. As i said previously, clubs and fans alike of all clubs at this level care about these issues, but they care about these issues to a certain extent and that extent ends at the pursuit of success. We wouldnt give tits like Partey, Zouma, Enzo, Antony etc the time of day at work or in a friendship circle, but if they play a succesful role for our football team its different.

I was one of those that lost a lot of respect for Jordan Henderson, but now I don't hold an opinion either way, because the reality is most of those people openly criticising him for making a life changing sum of money for generations wouldn't take a stand if there club had signed a Saudi footballer with world class footballing skills. 

• The title was changed to Ismailia Sarr Joins Crystal Palace