• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - CDM - Quarter Finals

football forum

Choose your semi-finalists.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Xabi Alonso or Roy Keane?

2. 2. N'Golo Kante or Sergio Busquets?

3. 3. Daniele De Rossi or Michael Carrick?

• Daniele De Rossi
    • Michael Carrick
  4. 4. Claude Makelele or Fernando Redondo?

• Claude Makelele
    • Fernando Redondo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vader said:

Comparing a box to box (which is all round a dynamic player) to a primarily anchor man is completely unfeasible.

Putting Lahm as a LB is annoying but really Rando is right when it comes to that because they are very similar to right backs, just it really takes adapting with similar traits.

It's nothing like comparing a striker to defender. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stan said:

It's nothing like comparing a striker to defender. 

Nonsense. I was being a bit extreme perhaps, but they are still different positions completely.

Hence my disagreement with Rando. Didn't know that wasn't allowed.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Vader said:

Nonsense. I was being a bit extreme perhaps, but they are still different positions completely.

Hence my disagreement with Rando. Didn't know that wasn't allowed.

They're still fundamentally defensive midfielders. The role they have may be different but the general position is a central defensive midfielder. A striker and a defender are totally different. 

Did I say disagreement wasn't allowed?

Just now, Stan said:

They're still fundamentally defensive midfielders. The role they have may be different but the general position is a central defensive midfielder. A striker and a defender are totally different. 

Did I say disagreement wasn't allowed?

The likes of De Rossi and Kante aren't CDM's, that's what I'm getting at. Nor are they really that similar.

I'm aware defensive midfielders can be different just as full backs and strikers can be, but I still believe a primarily central midfielder is very different to most CDM's. A Yaya Toure-like CDM is extremely rare these days.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Vader said:

The likes of De Rossi and Kante aren't CDM's, that's what I'm getting at. Nor are they really that similar.

I'm aware defensive midfielders can be different just as full backs and strikers can be, but I still believe a primarily central midfielder is very different to most CDM's. A Yaya Toure-like CDM is extremely rare these days.

But then it goes back to the point and difficulty that @RandoEFC had in they had to be split in some ways. 

When it comes to other midfield positions, maybe the player(s) in this poll wouldn't fit at all in those and they're more likened to CDM as opposed to any other midfield position. So it's not a 'mistake' either.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

But then it goes back to the point and difficulty that @RandoEFC had in they had to be split in some ways. 

When it comes to other midfield positions, maybe the player(s) in this poll wouldn't fit at all in those and they're more likened to CDM as opposed to any other midfield position. So it's not a 'mistake' either.

Fair enough, to be honest it's just a silly game. I guess its my OCD/Autism just pointing out any mistakes I see xD

• Subscriber

You can't expect to have the best 11 players from the last 20 years in the team and expect it to be a balanced side and you can't expect what you think would be the most balanced side from the past 20 years to necessarily include the best 11 players in the world in that time. The two things are incompatible. Most of the arguments (which are fine, by the way) are caused by some people wanting to choose the best player, and other people wanting to choose the best CDM.

There are also more than 11 positions in football so to choose a starting XI you have to compromise on which positions you do and don't include. I think it's better to separate the midfield three into a CDM, a CM and a CAM rather than just having three random CMs, but if you were to include every type of central midfielder - Anchor Man, Box to Box, Playmaker/Number Ten, Goalscoring Midfielder, Deep Lying Playmaker etc. then you'd have no room left for strikers or defenders.

Ergo, I say choose the best player. Choosing one striker is going to be fun when people start saying well Suarez is a better player but if we're talking about a lone striker/number nine then I'm going to have to go with Aguero because he's more of an out and out goalscorer.

Just choose the player you think is best regardless of whether this is quite their position. This team isn't actually taking to the field so the balance in the side only matters if you care about it (in which case, feel free to vote accordingly). Even if we end up playing Kante as a CDM which most of us would acknowledge isn't his best position, this team would still dick on any actual team at the end of the day.

Archived