HJK Helsinki vs PAOK Salonika

GROUP H
Fenerbahce vs Nordsjaelland
Ludogorets vs Spartak Trnava

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resting starters: Cash, Pau Torres, Douglas Luiz, Diaby & Watkins. Perhaps also Ramsey & Moreno, now fit enough for the bench, which is great to see.

Starting 11: Martinez, Chambers, Konsa, Lenglet, Digne, Kamara, Tielemans, McGinn, Zaniolo, Duran & Bailey.

2-2 and not quite HT yet. Both times Villa equalised from behind. Perhaps different than what was expected. But, they are the big club of Poland. Fairly sure they have a track record of being awkward opponents in the lower level Euro competitions.

Legia 3-2 winners.

It was perhaps a brave option for Emery, to go with Chambers, Konsa, Langlet & Digne. Chambers & Lenglet have not seen much if any minutes. But, they will be needed. And it would begin to look like the plan for 1st choice team in the Premier League. With many of the 2nd choices & subs in Europe & cups. Hopefully more cohesion will develop the longer the campaign goes on. Still time to improve.

The absolutely unheard of Zrinjski 4-3 winners at home to AZ. The group already on its head for now many would have predicted.

Just to remind, Legia Warsaw were 1st pot 3 team drawn. And for reasons I still do not understand, were placed into the Villa group E. Nobody else in the draw was placed out of sequence.

Elsewhere, Aberdeen only just edged out 2-1 at Frankfurt.

• The title was changed to Europa Conference League - Group Stage 2023/24

A win would be nice. This should be the easiest it gets..

Good to see the front 3 now look like perhaps the backup 3. Duran, Bailey & Zaniolo starting. Hoping to see Watkins, Diaby & Ramsey vs Wolves at the weekend. Also Dendoncker & Tielemans emerging as 2nd choice midfield pair behind Dougie & Kamara.

McGinn still involved in every game. Martinez was wanting European football & so is playing here too. While the defence is still a little stretched. Cash & Pau resting this 1. Moreno not quite fit again. But Diego Carlos back.

• 3 weeks later...

Not losing would be good. Bit confused by the team. But, most of us now just go with what Unai decides. Only Diego Carlos, Lenglet, Tielemans & Bailey have not been league starters. So the only 2 fit proper full backs both start again. Perhaps Konsa & Pau come on & we have CB's at FB when we hope to be holding on to something. Options the other way, with Diaby, Duran & Zaniolo. Or maybe we see all 5 regardless, to keep as many minutes down, ahead of Luton.

The situation of the group & expected quality of AZ is perhaps why we're not seeing Tielemans covering at DM. But barring injury, Tielemans is probably on for the full 90 mins here. In one position or another. And Watkins is starting ahead of Duran. 

Back to back, away-home now with AZ. They are Dutch. Should be a good level side. Not at all easy. 4 points from the AZ matches could be enough to be helping us toward the knock out rounds. 

Also, I believe this is the first use of the blue 3rd kit, by the men.

The weird bit of TNT coverage is Robbie Savage being assigned as the Villa matches co-commentator. I can only presume he was signed up well before the sides were known. He has, for many years, for whatever reason, given an impression of thoroughly enjoying Villa being nowhere near as 'The Big 6' term was formed. Now, he resorts to questioning why it is Man United do not have a playing style, as Villa have & Spurs have. i.e. How to get things back how to how they should be.

The European competitions are often such an insular thing, the broadcasters would be as well to wait & see, and then find a partisan former player. You may aswell. I imagine many Villa fans could & would listen to someone like a Dion Dublin or Andy Townsend a lot easier than a Leicester - Birmingham pundit.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

10 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

The weird bit of TNT coverage is Robbie Savage being assigned as the Villa matches co-commentator. I can only presume he was signed up well before the sides were known. He has, for many years, for whatever reason, given an impression of thoroughly enjoying Villa being nowhere near as 'The Big 6' term was formed. Now, he resorts to questioning why it is Man United do not have a playing style, as Villa have & Spurs have. i.e. How to get things back how to how they should be.

The European competitions are often such an insular thing, the broadcasters would be as well to wait & see, and then find a partisan former player. You may aswell. I imagine many Villa fans could & would listen to someone like a Dion Dublin or Andy Townsend a lot easier than a Leicester - Birmingham pundit.

I don’t mind him, it’s sweeter when we win and he has to commentate on it 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant to get 2 W's over AZ. Feeling proud of the Villa right now. They are rotating quite a bit. At least as much as the injury list allow. Hoping rumours of Barca recalling Lenglet are false stories, as it seems so suitable having him for Europe & perhaps FA Cup, with Pau for the league. Also feeling like Villa are trying to do Europe within themselves. At least at the group stage. And with Legia (h) & Mostar (a) remaining, it all looks good at this stage.