talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dominican Republic in the next World Cup?

They just convinced Junior FIrpo and Konrad de la Fuente of Marseille to play for them, also that Mariano Diaz and Pablo Rosario may be convinced.

They are doing another scouting job like Jamaica. Fair play, with Mexico, USA and Canada going automatically they will be big candidates to go to the next World Cup.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Cicero said:

Always felt that they focused primarily on tourism and hospitality way more over football. When I went there it was Baseball that was the big thing. 

Baseball is massive there and they are also superb at making music, but they have a scout named Elimelec who I'm actually friends with and he has done a superb job. Found so many US/Spanish based Dominicans at youth level in which essentially got them to a U20 World Cup. Football is growing there because I think they learned it's the big international sport. Will it ever overtake baseball like what happened in Venezuela? Probably not, but they have some good players in Europe that will undoubtedly make them a better national team. Firpo, Mariano Diaz, Konrad de la Fuente, Pablo Rosario, Raul de Tomas and Kevin Paredes. I think the only one no longer eligible is De Tomas having played 4 times for Spain.

Canada has hockey as the big sport and a small population and they've become very good. I do think the comparison is valid. Canada receives a lot of immigrants, where as Dominican Republic has a lot of emigrants. New York has about 1 million Dominicans which is an 8th of it's population, mostly all in the Bronx. Germany, Spain and Italy also has a shit ton of them.