talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alex Smithies Joins Cardiff

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always rated Smithies. He must played first team football at a young age, he impressed me at Huddersfield years ago and he's still only 28 now.

Surely he must be coming in as number 1, to spend 4m on a number 2 would be a lot in Cardiff's position.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

As before, I'll just add anything extra here as the amount of interest in our signings is practically nowt to make new topics.

We are apparently on the verge of signing Alex Smithies from QPR for around £4m and will challenge Etheridge as number one.

Thoughts @Batard?

A real loss. Easily the best goalkeeper at the club for some time. £4m is a snip as well, he’s worth so much more. 

47 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

As before, I'll just add anything extra here as the amount of interest in our signings is practically nowt to make new topics.

We are apparently on the verge of signing Alex Smithies from QPR for around £4m and will challenge Etheridge as number one.

Thoughts @Batard?

Don't put yourself down dude. You're one of us for a season and deserve as much recognition :)

10 hours ago, Marc said:

I've always rated Smithies. He must played first team football at a young age, he impressed me at Huddersfield years ago and he's still only 28 now.

Surely he must be coming in as number 1, to spend 4m on a number 2 would be a lot in Cardiff's position.

Etheridge started quite poorly but grew in confidence (and performance) as the season progressed.

Our other keepers are Lee Camp (who was injured for the first half before going to Sunderland on loan and wasn't well liked there) and Brian Murphy (who was only ever intended to be number 3).

Etheridge will likely start as number 1, bit we definitely needed another quality goalkeeper to challenge and if this goes through, Smithies will easily be that keeper.

Neil Warnock seems to be signing players that mentally he knows will run through brick walls for him. He always gets the best out of those characters.

Interesting then that they're getting business conducted early again. I have no doubt there good start last season was that Mendez-Laing had a full pre season to embed himself in the team and it caught others by surprise.

I think this could be a good signing for Cardiff. I've been impressed with him over the last two seasons for QPR. Whilst as a club they've been declining, he's definitely been able to express himself and show his talents. Always seemed to he saving penalties on the highlights show.

8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

@Bluebird Hewitt @Paulh_85 Neil Etheridge has been rewarded with a new contract. It will be interesting to see how Warnock uses both Goalkeepers next season.

We needed another quality goalie and Smithies will provide the competition for the number one spot. I'd imagine Etheridge will start to begin with but any costly mistakes will see Smithies take over.

You only had to see what happened with Amos when Warnock first took over to see why.

Archived