talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Serie A 2016/17 Relegation Battle

football forum

With just 6 matches left in this season, it's probably overdue for the annual Relegation Battle Thread. Currently, Here is how we stand. 

58f3ada6d319e_Screenshot2017-04-16at1_44_49PM.png.51d168714eedf90a0af9f72e419d40be.png

Crotone have been doing everything in their powers to stay in Serie A for another year, and until yesterday, Empoli hasn't done much to to stop that threat. 

Week 33 Fixtures involving the Relegation teams are as follows:

Juventus vs GENOA
Milan vs EMPOLI
Sampdoria vs CROTONE
Lazio vs PALERMO
PESCARA
 vs Roma

Hard to see any of these teams getting any results, but who knows? Would love to still see Palermo stay up, but not sure they will be able to close the 10 point gap in just 6 matches. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

yeah think this is a bit of a non-entity. Crotone picking up a bit of form, beating Inter a couple of weeks ago. But too little too late I believe. 

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

yeah think this is a bit of a non-entity. Crotone picking up a bit of form, beating Inter a couple of weeks ago. But too little too late I believe. 

I think the Empoli and Crotone race is the only really interesting one. Empoli will likely get handled by Milan, and Crotone have a real chance to pick up points this weekend. 

31 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Palermo deserve to go down. Owners are a bunch of cunts.

Awful for the fans though. I miss the days when Palermo were a European team. 

• 2 weeks later...

Capture.JPG.c0e6930db9c794d7f1810de9202c184b.JPG

After this weekend, Pescara are officially being sent down, and Palermo have forced themselves to win out, and have some help, if they are going to stay in Serie A.

The form of Crotone stays true, as they were winners against Sampdoria, and Empoli had a massive result in the San Siro, beating A.C. Milan 2-1 to keep a gap between them and relegation. Genoa lost again and are working hard to put themselves in Serie B. Here are the week 34 fixtures regarding relegation teams

Genoa vs Chievo
Empoli vs Sassuolo
Crotone vs A.C. Milan
Palermo vs Fiorentina
Cagliari vs Pescara

• 2 weeks later...

Capture.PNG.d1d09a79f641985c80c56e36fd0d8646.PNG

Pescara are officially going down to Serie B, and with the win this past weekend, Palermo hopes stay alive, but they must win the rest of their matches, and Empoli must lose all their matches.

Crotone is really the only story remaining, as they have been on a crazy streak and find themselves closing in on getting out of the relegation zone.

Here are the relegation matches this weekend:

Empoli vs  Bologna
Pescara vs Crotone
Genoa vs Internazionale
Chievo vs Palermo

7 hours ago, Cannabis said:

You cant underestimate how good of a job Crotone have done, its their first year in Serie A and they've don't amazingly well to be in with a shout of staying up.

I was actually in Crotone last summer and the place was buzzing because of their promotion so I'm glad that they've made a good go of it.

Crotone have been shit for 70% of the year. Somehow, over the past month they have beaten Chievo on the road, Inter Milan, and Sampdoria on the road, as well as drawn against the likes of Torino and AC Milan. This form came out of nowhere.

• Administrator

Crotone and Genoa pick up crucial wins. Empoli won as well but Crotone's win means they aren't safe just yet. 

Palermo's fate sealed as they are now 14 points behind Empoli with only 3 games left to play.

serie.PNG

so it's now between Genoa, Empoli and Crotone for the final relegation spot.

the run-ins:

Genoa:
Palermo (a)
Torino (h)
Roma (a)

Empoli
Cagliari (a)
Atalanta (h)
Palermo (a)

Crotone
Udinese (h)
Juventus (a)
Lazio (h)

Crotone have considerably the hardest run-in, playing 2 teams (Juve and Lazio) with still something to play for.

Already-relegated Palermo could also still have a big say in who joins them in Serie B next season. 

Yes, wins by Genoa and Empoli is what got Palermo relegated, even if they had one today, their fate would have been sealed. I hate to lose them but they have been miserable this year. 

I am so thankful that Crotone have made this run, otherwise this would have been the most boring Serie A year that I can remember. Sadly, I think their run will all for naught as I don't see them getting the needed points to survive. 

Archived