talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2021 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain - March 12th-14th

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Tsunoda is fantastic... He'll be fun to watch in that Alpha Tauri car. 

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing when he was practicing a start just now. As much as I am excited about Mick in F1, and Seb at Aston Martin, I'm somehow most excited about Yuki. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing when he was practicing a start just now. As much as I am excited about Mick in F1, and Seb at Aston Martin, I'm somehow most excited about Yuki. 

Tsunoda is undoubtedly a very exciting driver, so that's understandable! I'm a Mick fan first and foremost, but the fact that he's in one of the worst cars adds to lack of excitement about his debut season... 

Just now, nudge said:

Tsunoda is undoubtedly a very exciting driver, so that's understandable! I'm a Mick fan first and foremost, but the fact that he's in one of the worst cars adds to lack of excitement about his debut season... 

Yea, the news of Mick joining Haas was already kind of disappointing. Then they announced that they won't improve the car for this season, and they revealed the car to be a Russian flag on four wheels. They really tried hard to take the wind out of our excitement-sails. xD

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, the news of Mick joining Haas was already kind of disappointing. Then they announced that they won't improve the car for this season, and they revealed the car to be a Russian flag on four wheels. They really tried hard to take the wind out of our excitement-sails. xD

I'm still pissed at Ferrari for putting him in Haas and not Sauber. 

Oh well, at least I still have Max to be excited about xD

• Subscriber

So I'm just watching the last few minutes of the test. From what I've seen and heard, it seems that Mercedes haven't had it all their own way so far, which can only be a good sign for a more competitive season. Will they rock up in 2 weeks and smash everyone by a few tenths in Q3? Probably, but maybe not.

From the first test last year, when Mercedes took to the track with their DAS system, the noises were very much that the championship was basically over already. You can barely draw any conclusions from pre-season testing but we aren't hearing that so far this season. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Red Bull will be closer, if not ahead, to start the season.

The other story seems to be McLaren. Mixed feelings on this one, they made some noise pre-season about focusing most of their development tokens on repackaging the car for the Mercedes power unit. However, the test seems to have gone well, their diffuser seems to be one of the stories of the week in a good way and the Mercedes engine in the back of the car can only make them more competitive.

Not much running for Aston Martin. Hamilton named Red Bull, McLaren and Alpine as the teams whose pace "excited him". Make of that what you will (probably nothing).

• Subscriber

I don't want to get carried away as Mercedes are definitely better than what they've shown in the testing, but I'm cautiously optimistic - the RB16B looks really really good; Max seems happy with the car, it seems fast and stable, and the Honda engine looks reliable. Hopefully they managed to solve their issues from last season and this is a good sign of things to come.

McLaren's pace looks very good, and at least at this point, I could see them challenging for the podiums every now and then. Alpha Tauri looks pretty impressive too, and Sauber is another team who looks to have improved a lot - would love to see them do better than in recent years.

My personal impression after the testing:

Red Bull/Mercedes
McLaren
Alpha Tauri
Alpine/Ferrari/Aston Martin?
Sauber
Williams
Haas

Honestly unsure where to put Aston Martin as they struggled with mechanical issues throughout the testing. 

Also Tsunoda is very impressive, think he will be quite fun to watch.

Archived