talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

For All Mankind (Apple TV+)

football forum

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

Hide contents

Yea, that makes sense with Ellen outing herself and returning to her "true self" instead of playing a role solely for the career. 

And yes, I thought the same about Ed being killed off. They can't have him leading missions in his 80's, so it's really time for the younger characters to take over. But I think with the ones you mentioned, there's already a good base of interesting characters, but yes, there should be some new ones. Also I'm intrigued on Aleida's future. Will she become Margo's successsor? Do something else entirely? 🤔 I quite like that character. 

Can you elaborate on those real life events or characters that are based on real life ones? I know I've noticed a few, but maybe I've missed some.

Oh yes, I completely forgot to mention Aleida! And yes, I do think she is set to be the next head of NASA. I quite like her character as well...

Oh sure! 

Actual real-life characters:

• Wernher von Braun
  • Deke Slayton
  • Gene Kranz
  • Tomas Paine
  • The original Apollo 11 astronauts (Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins)
  • Several other astronauts (John Glenn, Pete Conrad, Sally Ride, Charlie Duke, Wubbo Ockels, among others)
  • Several politicians and NASA officials (Richard Truly, Shorty Powers, Lee Atwater)

Characters based on real-life characters:

• Molly Cobb based on Jerrie Cobb
  • Margo Madisson based on Margaret Hamilton/Frances Northcutt/George Abbey
  • Ed Baldwin based on Thomas Stattford
  • Gordo Stevens based on Eugene Cernan, while his name is based on Gordon "Gordo" Cooper
  • Sergei Nikulov based on Sergei Korolev

Real-life events/places or events based on real-life events:

• The real historical setting, obviously - so the whole Space Race & Cold War, but also countless other historical references (often with changed outcomes in this alternative timeline). I absolutely loved the intros to Season 2 & 3, where they showed a highlights reel of world events that were mostly alternative versions of our historical events as we know them! There are waaaaay to many to list...
  • First two seasons used real-life space events and programs extensively - Moon landings & the whole Apollo program, Mercury 13 project,  The Space Shuttle program etc. There are many more just referenced every once in a while, and also in the above mentioned intros
  • Patty Doyle dying in the lunar landing training vehicles was based on Neil Armstrong's LLRV-1 crash
  • The Outpost Tavern (it's a real place the astronauts used to hangout)
  • Helios/Dev  is based on SpaceX/Elon Musk
  • Thomas Paine Space Telescope is based on James Webb Space Telescope
  • Larry affair definitely draws from the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal

That's just from the top of my head, there are definitely many more :D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hide contents

Oh yes, I completely forgot to mention Aleida! And yes, I do think she is set to be the next head of NASA. I quite like her character as well...

Oh sure! 

Actual real-life characters:

• Wernher von Braun
  • Deke Slayton
  • Gene Kranz
  • Tomas Paine
  • The original Apollo 11 astronauts (Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins)
  • Several other astronauts (John Glenn, Pete Conrad, Sally Ride, Charlie Duke, Wubbo Ockels, among others)
  • Several politicians and NASA officials (Richard Truly, Shorty Powers, Lee Atwater)

Characters based on real-life characters:

• Molly Cobb based on Jerrie Cobb
  • Margo Madisson based on Margaret Hamilton/Frances Northcutt/George Abbey
  • Ed Baldwin based on Thomas Stattford
  • Gordo Stevens based on Eugene Cernan, while his name is based on Gordon "Gordo" Cooper
  • Sergei Nikulov based on Sergei Korolev

Real-life events/places or events based on real-life events:

• The real historical setting, obviously - so the whole Space Race & Cold War, but also countless other historical references (often with changed outcomes in this alternative timeline). I absolutely loved the intros to Season 2 & 3, where they showed a highlights reel of world events that were mostly alternative versions of our historical events as we know them! There are waaaaay to many to list...
  • First two seasons used real-life space events and programs extensively - Moon landings & the whole Apollo program, Mercury 13 project,  The Space Shuttle program etc. There are many more just referenced every once in a while, and also in the above mentioned intros
  • Patty Doyle dying in the lunar landing training vehicles was based on Neil Armstrong's LLRV-1 crash
  • The Outpost Tavern (it's a real place the astronauts used to hangout)
  • Helios/Dev  is based on SpaceX/Elon Musk
  • Thomas Paine Space Telescope is based on James Webb Space Telescope
  • Larry affair definitely draws from the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal

That's just from the top of my head, there are definitely many more :D

Off to Wikipedia I go. See you in a day or two. xD

• Subscriber

@Tommy you might also enjoy this bonus content from Apple TV: the newsreels of events in the series timeline.

Events between Season 1 & Season 2:

Events between Season 2 & Season 3:

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

@Tommy you might also enjoy this bonus content from Apple TV: the newsreels of events in the series timeline.

Events between Season 1 & Season 2:

Events between Season 2 & Season 3:

Nice! I'll check it out tonight. :o 

Just watched the latest episode. 

Ngl, I kinda feel for Danny.

Although great to see more of Dev's background and that when we all thought he's all distant and doesn't want anything to do with it, he came through with that solution.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Just watched the latest episode. 

Hide contents

Ngl, I kinda feel for Danny.

Although great to see more of Dev's background and that when we all thought he's all distant and doesn't want anything to do with it, he came through with that solution.

I would feel for Danny if he hadn't just killed 3 people, almost got Ed killed, and ruined the mission on Mars. Stupid twat. But yeah, last episode, and particularly his scenes with Ed, added a lot to his character, so well done...

Quoting my earlier post here: "Also, I think that cosmonaut sleeping with Ed's daughter is probably dead, too, and I predict we'll find out that Kelly is pregnant with his child some time in the near future." I'm a visionary!:D

I just loved the intensity of the rescue mission! This is what I want to see more often from the series; world's biggest brains getting work done in space. Fantastic stuff.

• Subscriber

@Bluewolf @Tommy come on then, any predictions for the remaining two episodes??? Just for fun.

I'll start...

• The radical weirdo "friends" of Jimmy have not only stolen the statue, but also planted a bomb at NASA headquarters, the explosion will kill Margo since she lives there in her office, and Jimmy will be framed for it because of the stolen statue in his posession. Aleida will keep silent about Margo leaking secret information to the Soviets, in order to protect her legacy.
  • The season will end with a timejump and Kelly giving birth to the first ever human on Mars.
  • Ellen will publicly come out as gay, step down, and divorce Larry.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

@Bluewolf @Tommy come on then, any predictions for the remaining two episodes??? Just for fun.

I'll start...

Hide contents
  • The radical weirdo "friends" of Jimmy have not only stolen the statue, but also planted a bomb at NASA headquarters, the explosion will kill Margo since she lives there in her office, and Jimmy will be framed for it because of the stolen statue in his posession. Aleida will keep silent about Margo leaking secret information to the Soviets, in order to protect her legacy.
  • The season will end with a timejump and Kelly giving birth to the first ever human on Mars.
  • Ellen will publicly come out as gay, step down, and divorce Larry.

Your theories sound very plausible. I'll think about what else could happen. 🤔

• Subscriber

Really enjoyed the latest episode; that ending! :o :D 

The finale is 80+ minutes long, so they surely have a lot to show...

So North Koreans beat everyone to the Moon, apparently xD I wonder why did it in such secrecy though - either they have some other plans for Mars, or they wanted to make it public after a successful landing, but the probe/ship crashed and their comms were damaged, potentially? I wonder how that lone Korean astronaut survived, or are there more of them? Either way, I'm glad they are finally bringing a new player onto the space stage! Guess the North Korean presence on Mars will kickstart the willingness of American politics to continue with the space colonisation, after all...

Kelly's in trouble, but I still think she's going to give birth for the first space child on Mars. Ed has been taking her pregnancy surprisingly well xD 

Ellen publicly coming out was expected, but they did it really well, I thought. The acting in this show is really spot on...

Nice episode! 

Bill is a fucking snitch! I felt sorry for Aleida. 

And yea, Ed was a very wholesome grandpa  to be in this episode. I hope Kelly turns out to be alright. 

Danny still on his villain arc. When he said it's unfair that they are blaming the accident on the dead guy, it really reminded me of Anakin's "Outrageous, unfair" scene in Star Wars Episode III. xD

The scene with Ellen finally coming out was really well done as well. Phenomenal speech. I loved how there was support and of course religious nutjobs opposers. Very accurate even today. Loved all the love and support Will received. 

And yea, North Korea being on Mars took me a bit by surprise. I expected the Chinese. Kim Jong-Un is probably going to show this series in his country now as historically accurate. xD

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Tommy said:

Nice episode! 

Hide contents

Bill is a fucking snitch! I felt sorry for Aleida. 

And yea, Ed was a very wholesome grandpa  to be in this episode. I hope Kelly turns out to be alright. 

Danny still on his villain arc. When he said it's unfair that they are blaming the accident on the dead guy, it really reminded me of Anakin's "Outrageous, unfair" scene in Star Wars Episode III. xD

The scene with Ellen finally coming out was really well done as well. Phenomenal speech. I loved how there was support and of course religious nutjobs opposers. Very accurate even today. Loved all the love and support Will received. 

And yea, North Korea being on Mars took me a bit by surprise. I expected the Chinese. Kim Jong-Un is probably going to show this series in his country now as historically accurate. xD

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Bill. What a tit! At the very least, Margo deserved a chance to explain herself, especially after all these years of leading NASA and everything they've been together... I hope she gets some sort of a redemption, but I still think she's getting killed off in the finale. Better than lifelong prison, for sure.

Haha, the Anakin comparison is really spot on xD The way Ed look at him there though, I think he knows it's Danny who's responsible for the disaster. Kinda curious to see how they handle this part of the storyline. If they let Danny off the hook, they are going to piss off a very large part of the fanbase xD

I'm still not sure which characters are going to lead Season 4, to be honest.

20 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hide contents

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Bill. What a tit! At the very least, Margo deserved a chance to explain herself, especially after all these years of leading NASA and everything they've been together... I hope she gets some sort of a redemption, but I still think she's getting killed off in the finale. Better than lifelong prison, for sure.

Haha, the Anakin comparison is really spot on xD The way Ed look at him there though, I think he knows it's Danny who's responsible for the disaster. Kinda curious to see how they handle this part of the storyline. If they let Danny off the hook, they are going to piss off a very large part of the fanbase xD

I'm still not sure which characters are going to lead Season 4, to be honest.

What happened in that scene with Aleida and her dad? I didn't have any subtitles for the Spanish part. Dementia? Did he mistake her for her mom or something?

As for season 4, I guess Aleida is gonna be a strong character. Danny could be in deep shit, but it's still a possibility. Could be interesting if he's going to live with that burden if they let him off the hook somehow.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hide contents

What happened in that scene with Aleida and her dad? I didn't have any subtitles for the Spanish part. Dementia? Did he mistake her for her mom or something?

As for season 4, I guess Aleida is gonna be a strong character. Danny could be in deep shit, but it's still a possibility. Could be interesting if he's going to live with that burden if they let him off the hook somehow.

Yes, Aleida's dad has Alzheimer's/dementia; we've already been shown signs of it earlier when he regularly forgot where he put his things and had paranoia about neighbours stealing from him. And yes, in the last episode, he was comforting her but then called her Graziella, mistaking her for her mother and then not even realising that he did... Think it was a very powerful scene; just painfully showed how Aleida is completely on her own

:(

I have no subtitles either, but luckily understand both Spanish and Russian, so didn't even realised subtutles were needed xD 

Just now, nudge said:

Hide contents

Yes, Aleida's dad has Alzheimer's/dementia; we've already been shown signs of it earlier when he regularly forgot where he put his things and had paranoia about neighbours stealing from him. And yes, in the last episode, he was comforting her but then called her Graziella, mistaking her for her mother and then not even realising that he did... Think it was a very powerful scene; just painfully showed how Aleida is completely on her own

:(

I have no subtitles either, but luckily understand both Spanish and Russian, so didn't even realised subtutles were needed xD 

Poor Aleida.

:( And yea, I understand a bit of Spanish so I was able to puzzle it together. xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hide contents

Poor Aleida.

:( And yea, I understand a bit of Spanish so I was able to puzzle it together. xD

I hope she gets back together with her husband, he seems like a nice guy...

Wow wow wow, just watched Season 3's finale. 

Wow. First of all, the writing of this show is one of the best I have ever seen. 

At the start I felt so worried about the Korean guy. xD

When Danny told Ed about what he did, I fully expected Ed to die and the secret to be burried with him. But I was surprised that Ed actually made it. On the contrary, I did not expect Karen to die. Fucking Hippies with their fucking bomb. 

And yea, I thought it was pretty obvious that Margo died, so the ending had me very surprised. She made a deal with the Russians to save her skin? It was funny seeing Sergei living in an American suburb whereas Margo woke up in the middle of Moscow. 

And did they banish Danny to the Korean guy's ship? I felt sorry for Danny once again. I don't know... there's something about him that makes me sympathize with him, even though he fucked up a lot. 

I am looking forward to the next season, as I know these writers will come up with something amazing. I absolutely adore this series.

Oh and Molly died the way she lived. Total badass. 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Wow wow wow, just watched Season 3's finale. 

Hide contents

Wow. First of all, the writing of this show is one of the best I have ever seen. 

At the start I felt so worried about the Korean guy. xD

When Danny told Ed about what he did, I fully expected Ed to die and the secret to be burried with him. But I was surprised that Ed actually made it. On the contrary, I did not expect Karen to die. Fucking Hippies with their fucking bomb. 

And yea, I thought it was pretty obvious that Margo died, so the ending had me very surprised. She made a deal with the Russians to save her skin? It was funny seeing Sergei living in an American suburb whereas Margo woke up in the middle of Moscow. 

And did they banish Danny to the Korean guy's ship? I felt sorry for Danny once again. I don't know... there's something about him that makes me sympathize with him, even though he fucked up a lot. 

I am looking forward to the next season, as I know these writers will come up with something amazing. I absolutely adore this series.

Oh and Molly died the way she lived. Total badass. 

Yes, I didn't see Karen dying, either! Thought it would be Margo, maybe Ed too, but Karen never crossed my mind... It's a pity, as her character was very interesting. So much development there. I couldn't stand her in the first season, and then she changed to this completely different person over the course of 3 seasons.

I did initally think Margo was dead after they showed her office completely blown apart, but the old good TV trope "Never count someone dead unless you have the body in front of you" was giving me an inkling that she could still be alive. I like her character portrayal a lot, so I'm glad she survived, but it's also extremely sad how she brought Sergei and his family to safety in the US, but ended on the run in Moscow herself at the same time... :( That said, considering that it was the credit scene and the time jump, I suppose the next season will focus a lot on the Soviet Union? Will Margo work for them and be behind some massive technological breakthroughs? What I'm afraid of is that Season 4 will focus more on the on-ground drama than on spaceflight and exploration.

The last moments of Molly Cobb was just extremely beautiful cinematogrpahy. Her disappearing into the smoke and darkness there while saving others, especially after her whole "selfish prick" speech to Karen earlier... So poetic. I'll miss her snarkiness. Got to feel for Wayne, though. He lost both the love of his life AND his best friend in that bombing :( 

So Danny's the first prisoner/exiled person on another planet. Didn't expect them to do that, but I can also understand why they wouldn't want to be around him anymore, nevermind trust him. Seems harsh, but not exactly undeserved... I just wonder how long will it take him to find the North Korean's burried gun and be responsible for some more deaths... xD The Stevens family is a real mess. But I do think Danny will get a redemption arc in the next season(s), to be honest. 

The space action with Kelly in a jetpack strapped on the top of the MSAM and acting as a second stage was cool and hilarious xD 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Hide contents

Yes, I didn't see Karen dying, either! Thought it would be Margo, maybe Ed too, but Karen never crossed my mind... It's a pity, as her character was very interesting. So much development there. I couldn't stand her in the first season, and then she changed to this completely different person over the course of 3 seasons.

I did initally think Margo was dead after they showed her office completely blown apart, but the old good TV trope "Never count someone dead unless you have the body in front of you" was giving me an inkling that she could still be alive. I like her character portrayal a lot, so I'm glad she survived, but it's also extremely sad how she brought Sergei and his family to safety in the US, but ended on the run in Moscow herself at the same time... :( That said, considering that it was the credit scene and the time jump, I suppose the next season will focus a lot on the Soviet Union? Will Margo work for them and be behind some massive technological breakthroughs? What I'm afraid of is that Season 4 will focus more on the on-ground drama than on spaceflight and exploration.

The last moments of Molly Cobb was just extremely beautiful cinematogrpahy. Her disappearing into the smoke and darkness there while saving others, especially after her whole "selfish prick" speech to Karen earlier... So poetic. I'll miss her snarkiness. Got to feel for Wayne, though. He lost both the love of his life AND his best friend in that bombing :( 

So Danny's the first prisoner/exiled person on another planet. Didn't expect them to do that, but I can also understand why they wouldn't want to be around him anymore, nevermind trust him. Seems harsh, but not exactly undeserved... I just wonder how long will it take him to find the North Korean's burried gun and be responsible for some more deaths... xD The Stevens family is a real mess. But I do think Danny will get a redemption arc in the next season(s), to be honest. 

The space action with Kelly in a jetpack strapped on the top of the MSAM and acting as a second stage was cool and hilarious xD 

So the show is just going to continue in 2003, right? But I have still so many questions about how the things are going to continue where Season 3 ended. 

xD

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hide contents

So the show is just going to continue in 2003, right? But I have still so many questions about how the things are going to continue where Season 3 ended. 

xD

Yeah, I expect them to make the time jump to 2013 as that ending showed, and continue there. After all, that was the case for every season so far... I am really looking forward for the bonus content for the news highlight reel for the between-season stuff, that should give some details on what happened immediately after the Season 3 events

:D 

I'm mostly curious about our little colony on Mars! Have they returned to Earth already? Has the colony been expanded? Is  space exploration experiencing setbacks and low funding? 

Archived