Portsmouth vs Cheltenham
Sheff Weds vs Sunderland
Wycombe vs Ipswich

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Second half has kicked off. We're still 1-0 down and @Stan, 16 games gone and we still haven't scored a goal in the first half. 

It gets to a point where stats like these are actually quite impressive.

After about 8 or 9 games, it's a chore and obviously frustrating for you.

Beyond that, to 16 (!!), it's one of those where if you don't laugh you'll cry xD 

• Subscriber

I think there's a real problem in this league now. There's a cluster of teams that are just simply far too good for the league but often find themselves bodging it in the Premier League. The culture of rewarding failure and excessive parachute payments meant that this was an inevitability but it's harder than it's ever been to get promoted if you've not been in the Premier League in the last 5 or so years.

Brentford were a bit of an exception to the rule as I think they've done it the best way you can really do it. I weirdly think Barnsley might end up cracking it one day as they have a similar practice developing but they're obviously miles off it this year and have bodged it right up.

I have to tip my hat to Coventry. Don't like the twats and cannot wish them any success but the job Robins has done there has been incredible, but I don't see it being any more than a possible play-off finish in which they're binned out comfortably in the semis or final, by whichever one of Fulham or West Brom finishes 3rd, and probably back out of the discussion next year.

But that result tonight, that's just embarrassing for the league to be honest that Blackburn, a pretty steady team in this league can be done for 7 in their own ground. No doubt Norwich and Watford go there next year and whack them too. Rinse and repeat.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Dan said:

I think there's a real problem in this league now. There's a cluster of teams that are just simply far too good for the league but often find themselves bodging it in the Premier League. The culture of rewarding failure and excessive parachute payments meant that this was an inevitability but it's harder than it's ever been to get promoted if you've not been in the Premier League in the last 5 or so years.

Brentford were a bit of an exception to the rule as I think they've done it the best way you can really do it. I weirdly think Barnsley might end up cracking it one day as they have a similar practice developing but they're obviously miles off it this year and have bodged it right up.

I have to tip my hat to Coventry. Don't like the twats and cannot wish them any success but the job Robins has done there has been incredible, but I don't see it being any more than a possible play-off finish in which they're binned out comfortably in the semis or final, by whichever one of Fulham or West Brom finishes 3rd, and probably back out of the discussion next year.

But that result tonight, that's just embarrassing for the league to be honest that Blackburn, a pretty steady team in this league can be done for 7 in their own ground. No doubt Norwich and Watford go there next year and whack them too. Rinse and repeat.

Southampton are a pretty steady team in the PL and got done for 9-0. Twice. 

But also were a man down on both occasions, like Blackburn. 

It's an embarrassing result for sure.

Agree about the difficulty of getting out of the Championship because the 3 that get relegated into it are just too good. But then you mention Coventry and they're still in the hunt for play-offs after a strong start. Looking at the table, there are quite a few teams that you'd have thought they'd be at the other end of the table - Huddersfield, Luton, Stoke, Blackpool, Birmingham. All of those either in or just on the cusp of play-offs. Granted not all will still be there because there'll be a drop off in form but law of averages would say 1, maybe 2, of them hang around and last the season. 

The Championship itself in general is just a double-edged sword. Most likely the 3 that go down would come up, but then the rest of the league is pretty much a free-for-all. With 3 other spots to contend for in the top 6, there's constantly at least double that fighting it out to get those spots. And anything can happen in the play-offs as we both know!  

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, Stan said:

Southampton are a pretty steady team in the PL and got done for 9-0. Twice. 

But also were a man down on both occasions, like Blackburn. 

It's an embarrassing result for sure.

Agree about the difficulty of getting out of the Championship because the 3 that get relegated into it are just too good. But then you mention Coventry and they're still in the hunt for play-offs after a strong start. Looking at the table, there are quite a few teams that you'd have thought they'd be at the other end of the table - Huddersfield, Luton, Stoke, Blackpool, Birmingham. All of those either in or just on the cusp of play-offs. Granted not all will still be there because there'll be a drop off in form but law of averages would say 1, maybe 2, of them hang around and last the season. 

The Championship itself in general is just a double-edged sword. Most likely the 3 that go down would come up, but then the rest of the league is pretty much a free-for-all. With 3 other spots to contend for in the top 6, there's constantly at least double that fighting it out to get those spots. And anything can happen in the play-offs as we both know!  

I do think you get anomalies like Coventry, and bizarrely Luton, Huddersfield etc... this season but I'll be amazed if any of them actually see it through. I haven't got any stats to hand but I'm pretty confident that the number of sides switching between the two leagues is probably as narrow over the last 3/4 years as it's ever been. You have 3 yoyo teams and if Watford go down this year (and I think they will) you have 4.

I wouldn't say Southampton are that steady now either, would be more like Everton or Villa losing 0-7 at home. The Championship was very interesting at one point but it's become a bit predictable now and it's a real shame.

Archived