talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard Hired by Aston Villa

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/11/2021 at 03:35, Waylander said:

I think Legends taking over clubs and making a success of them are rare things.

I can only think of Pep and Zidane in recent times. 

Liverpool did try it in the past with Souness and Dalglish.

One worked, one didn't so well.

I think Bob Paisley played for us well before my time too. I also think Souness would have done better had he not had such a big ego and felt the need to “make his mark” on a team that didn’t quite need the wholesale changes it did.

But generally I think you are right. It’s tough to go back to a club where you are a legend on the pitch and become a big hit managerially.

But when it works out… it’s got to seem pretty cool for the fans. When Lampard was having his good spell as manager with you in that season with the transfer ban… I actually thought it was pretty cool seeing him back at Chelsea doing well. I was a bit sad when he got sacked - but I think Tuchel’s a very good manager so… it makes sense.

Just seems harsh to do that to a legend. Even as a “rival fan” (although tbh I don’t really think there’s a big rivalry between Chelsea and Liverpool - it was just a spicy time when Rafa and Mourinho were the managers because they HATED each other), felt for Fat Frank there. But from a pure footballing perspective with sentimentality removed - it seems like the logical decision.

Honestly seeing Stevie’s name so often on the front page here makes me really miss the days he was in our midfield even though he’s a manager now :( 

Archived